Martellus Bennett on "Hard Knocks".

Reaction score
I had a real hard time watching the segment on Martellus Bennett in the first installment of "Hard Knocks" on HBO. I just had a chance to go over the recording of it, and it just blew me away how the Cowboys talked right before or after drafting him with the 61st pick in the draft.

One team official, (I couldn't see who it was because the camera was filming from behing him), stated in the draft War Room, "He's a little bit immature, he's extremely talented. You've got to put your foot on his throat, don't give him an inch and say, "This is how we do things here...boom". Huh?!! Since when have cattle prods been part of assistant coach's equipment package? This is a guy who was HOPING to go to his childhood team?!

A little later in the segment, TEs position coach John Garrett is shown going over with Bennett the technique of how to put the ball away, which hand to put it in, etc. Bennett looks like he's totally tuned Garrett out. Even when Garrett flat out tells him to put the ball in his left hand, right now, across the chest, etc., he has to repeat himself 3-4 times before Bennett finally adheres to his BOSS's demands. This is a player who called being draft by Dallas as a blessing?!

The most graphic difference in the attitudes of Bennett & another rookie TE was when UDFA Andrew Atchison, William & Mary, was shown going through the same rookie hazing that Bennett goes through. Atchison takes the banana "microphone" with two smaller round pieces of fruit connected to the bottom half, (LMAO), and procedes to imitate the "white dude" who sang "My Girl" in the movie "Remember the Titans". By the time Atchison was through, he had all of the vets singing with him, and received a loud ovation for his efforts. Bennett just went through the motions on personal questions, then stepped off the stage without even trying to sing.

I don't care about this kids' age, (Atchison has to be close to the same age). All I care about is that we spent a 2nd rd. pick on a very good athlete with no heart. So far, he looks exactly like the player Pro Football Weekly's Draft Guide said was, "as athletic as any pass catcher in the draft, but his lack of discipline, selfishness, and concerns about his work ethic could restrict him from becoming the type of pro he is capable of being".

Time will tell how long it takes for Bennett to "get it". I just hope if/when he does, it's not with another team.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yeah. Pretty much everyone agrees it was kinda stupid. Or at best very risky. Oh well, the draft as a whole looks very solid.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I didnt like that part of Hard knocks. He looked very childish not listening to the coaches demands. You pay attention and do what is told. if he didnt have all that damn upside he wouldnt be here right now, He better get his head together.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2188340 said:
I didnt like that part of Har knocks. He looked very childish not listening to the coaches demands. You pay attention and do what is told. if he didnt have all that damn upside he wouldnt be here right now, He better get his head together.

and the same coach you say he's dissing and tuning out is the same one who praised him and thinks he's doing well

its been about 3 weeks...everyone needs to quit bashing the rookies

David

DallasDomination

Reaction score
dbair1967;2188342 said:
and the same coach you say he's dissing and tuning out is the same one who praised him and thinks he's doing well

its been about 3 weeks...everyone needs to quit bashing the rookies

David

I'm just going off what I seen on Hard KNocks. Obviously I cant see everything in camp or how He's doing...However there are some red flags with Him right now. bad body language, That part on hard KNocks and a unknown tardy for practice.

sago1

Reaction score
There better be a darn good reason why he was so late to practice this afternoon. Otherwise, fine his butt off.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I think Bennett is going to do to well here.

I really didn't like this pick and Jerry wanted to trade up for this guy.....:rolleyes:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2188360 said:
He has the talent, just need to see if he can get it all together and succeed.

Talent + poor work ethic = lump of crap

Some of these players think that can always get buy on talent and just go through the motions and what have you this the NFL step your game up.

Mash

Reaction score
I wasnt impressed with Bennett on Hard Knocks either .

The kid just seems like a spoiled brat.

I dont know....you would think that he would be gracious for the opportunity to play here or in the NFL.

I hope he matures enough.....its a given he will not be cut because of the 2nd round status but if he doesnt change his ways......he wont be in the league very long and the money pit will soon be dry and reality will set in.

I know the scouts and draft guru's had him rated pretty high......he must have some kind of talent I guess.....but so far in training camp and the 1st preseason game his hands need to improve and his blocking seems questionable.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2188354 said:

I really didn't like this pick and Jerry wanted to trade up for this guy.....:rolleyes:

The story I heard was that Jerry wanted to trade up to get a WR, but was talked out of it by the coaches and scouts. I never heard he wanted to trade up to get Bennett.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2188347 said:
I'm just going off what I seen on Hard KNocks. Obviously I cant see everything in camp or how He's doing...However there are some red flags with Him right now. bad body language, That part on hard KNocks and a unknown tardy for practice.

just because its unknown to you or some beat writer doesnt mean its unknown to the coaches...come on people

as for the rest, I will still tend to have alot more faith in what our actual coaches and team officials say about players over what a tabloid type HBO show throws out there, or a beat writer who obviously doesnt have the whole story

when the coaches or one of the Jones' comes out and says there's an issue or they are concerned, I'll worry...until then I see no reason for all the freaking out

David

Mash

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2188354 said:

Didnt Jerry wanted to trade up for Hardy?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
sago1;2188349 said:
There better be a darn good reason why he was so late to practice this afternoon. Otherwise, fine his butt off.

wow, I bet that never occured to the coaches or team officials

:rolleyes:

David

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
dbair1967;2188376 said:
as for the rest, I will still tend to have alot more faith in what our actual coaches and team officials say about players over what a tabloid type HBO show throws out there, or a beat writer who obviously doesnt have the whole story

You think HBO cgi'd hm ignoring his coaches? :lmao2:

I'll believe actual raw practice foootage that I see with my own eyes over the sunshine and rainbows media spin from this coaching staff. Especially when it falls in line with everything ever written about the guy.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2188384 said:
You think HBO cgi'd hm ignoring his coaches? :lmao2:

I'll believe actual raw practice foootage that I see with my own eyes over the sunshine and rainbows media spin from this coaching staff. Especially when it falls in line with everything ever written about the guy.

yeah, that clearly described no nonsense people like the Garrett's, Houcks and Grantham's

:rolleyes:

David

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Well, that same "no nonsense" TE coach went on the radio and said he didn't have a problem with Bennett's body language, and then was heard scolding him in practice a few hours later for his body language.

Mash

Reaction score
Yeah....Hard Knocks really made Keon Lattimore look good....

Players were complaining about it because they just took some bad footage of Lattimore and made it out like the kid was having trouble in TC. In fact he is like most of the bubble players there trying to make the club.

Hollywood is amazing isnt it?

sago1

Reaction score
Sorry, I know it's too early to grap about Bennett, but everytime I watch Hard Knocks I get even more ticked off. I don't like his attitude, he doesn't have a work ethic & he's immature. There so many players on that team who desperately want to make it, particularly with the Cowboys, and this guy acts like it means nothing to him--at least nothing he wants to work for. Somebody soon is going to give him a reality check. Judd Garrett (is that the right brother?) deserves better then the dissing Bennett is giving him.