Martellus Bennett on "Hard Knocks".

NewJCowboy

Reaction score
5Countem5;2188716 said:
Can anyone count the number of times that the term "body language" has been used since episode 1 of Hard Knocks? I mean, some coach comments on Bennett's body language and posters all over start using the term like it is standard football terminology- "Yeah, he had real bad body language, makes me worry about his maturity." LOL

I'll bet that the term was never used once in the last 5 training camps on this board and all of the sudden it defines a guy because of a coaches comment.

:hammer:

All of this because a beat writer said that to Peter King and Peter wrote that in his article.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2188703 said:
I take it you are fairly new around these parts.

Just wait until Roy has a bad game and you will see that the answer to your questions is still being determined.

As far as Bennett goes, I don't think his attitude is going to cut it with some of the vets on this team.

With as close as this team is, I cannot see Witten, Romo, TO, Newman, Bradie, Zach and even Ellis letting 1 player slack and set a negative tone for the rest of the team.

I think the whole organization has pretty much no patience for a slacker. Jerry and Co. have shown that they will give people chances but all of those who have received an opportunity have been hard workers. Bennett either pick it up or be prepared for the ***-ripping he is going to get from the players, coaches, management, fans and media. People had the impression that Roy was a slacker (and he probably was) and Roy started getting it hard. By all accounts, Roy has put in a TON of work and is now playing at a higher level.

Agree, I just hope Bennett's mental makeup can handle the pressure of others trying to mold him into a professional. From what I've heard in interviews and seen on Hard Knocks, he seems immature. You can never tell how people are going to react to situations.

Baby steps Bob, baby step.....just don't try the death therapy technic (tree, rope, dynamite) :D

Joe71

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2188703 said:
I take it you are fairly new around these parts.

Not new I joined the same year you did.I just get tired of reading the same crap over and over again.I guess it finally got to me.:p:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
cowboyz;2188457 said:
that tardy is for his personal issue.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2008/08/martellus-bennetts-personal-matter-shoul.html
i got the impression from what JJ said he was a witness to some incident. but he's through with it.

i'm guessing he's been giving interviews to the police on something, hence why nothing is mentioned and why the cowboys are being so coy.

don't think it's anything to worry about
I think you're right. I dislike Bennett's overall approach as much as anybody, but in this case, Wade said it was something that he really couldn't get out of. So it sounds like this isn't some cover-up for something else.

I do agree that it's very, very early in Bennett's career, and we shouldn't assume he's a waste just yet. My problem is that he doesn't seem to really love football, so even if he does get motivated at some point, I'm afraid it will be for the money.

My one hope is that he's been such a good blocker in college, and that's the dirty work for a TE. So maybe somewhere inside he's tougher than what he shows right now.

Dallas22

Reaction score
When we drafted Martellus Bennett I liked what was on paper and I was expecting big things for him at around the mid-way point of our season. After watching him on Hard Knocks, I was a little nervous on what I saw - not paying attention to the coach, just making a lot of mistakes. He did look out of place and a lot intimitated by the whole "scene" and by being a rookie at Dallas camp with HBO all around the place. Still, not an excuse but I figured that this guy's talent will help him regain his confidence. Well unfortunatly after watching the SD game on Saturday night, I really saw that he might not have that drive or heart that good players that make teams have. Now looking back to the Hard Knocks first episode, it worries me that this is going to be an issue with him.

He was so happy to get drafted by the Cowboys when he was called by Jery Jones you'd think that he'd appriciate this wonderful chance he has but HE STILL HAS TO WORK HARD and this is currently not occuring with him in camp so far. The Cowboys will keep him on the roster, but he's already dropped to the #3 TE and could put himself in danger of being spoken about in the final cuts - and you don't want that.

Honestly, I do think that he has a fantastic upside and could make BIG things happen for the Cowboys & himself, but he needs to apply himself and feel that confidence & HEART come back to him. This could be the process of maturing for him and if he grows up then I think he will be a steal as 2nd roud draft pick... just hope that things don't stay the way they are with him (or get worse) and then see him as a huge bust.

GO COWBOYS!!!

Reaction score
dbair1967;2188376 said:
just because its unknown to you or some beat writer doesnt mean its unknown to the coaches...come on people

as for the rest, I will still tend to have alot more faith in what our actual coaches and team officials say about players over what a tabloid type HBO show throws out there, or a beat writer who obviously doesnt have the whole story

when the coaches or one of the Jones' comes out and says there's an issue or they are concerned, I'll worry...until then I see no reason for all the freaking out

David

No one's "freaking out". I really have more of a problem with Cowboys' management than I do with Bennett. Martellus is who he is. My problem lies in the fact that before they drafted him in the 2nd round, Jerry & Co. knew that he was so immature & self-centered, that they would have to keep a boot to his throat to get anything out of him. The SECOND ROUND??! This is the type of player that you take late on the second DAY, when you figure, "Hey, this guy's talent is so great, what's a 7th rounder?".

I truly hope, for my team's sake, that Bennett becomes a solid NFL TE. My wish is that, slowly but surely, he will watch #82 enough to say, "Man, I wanna be that good". Until then, the jury will be out.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Cogan;2189831 said:
No one's "freaking out". I really have more of a problem with Cowboys' management than I do with Bennett. Martellus is who he is. My problem lies in the fact that before they drafted him in the 2nd round, Jerry & Co. knew that he was so immature & self-centered, that they would have to keep a boot to his throat to get anything out of him. The SECOND ROUND??! This is the type of player that you take late on the second DAY, when you figure, "Hey, this guy's talent is so great, what's a 7th rounder?".

I truly hope, for my team's sake, that Bennett becomes a solid NFL TE. My wish is that, slowly but surely, he will watch #82 enough to say, "Man, I wanna be that good". Until then, the jury will be out.

:bow:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cogan;2189831 said:

I dont understand how anyone can question where he was drafted at...almost every draft publication and draft "guru" had him rated at the top, or right at the top of the TE class and said he was a 1st day pick

David

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2189866 said:
I dont understand how anyone can question where he was drafted at...almost every draft publication and draft "guru" had him rated at the top, or right at the top of the TE class and said he was a 1st day pick

David

I disagree although I really didn't pay much to the TE's cuz that was a position of need IMO. I think he was like the 5th best TE or soemthing along those lines.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Cogan;2188330 said:
Time will tell how long it takes for Bennett to "get it". I just hope if/when he does, it's not with another team.

Martellous the nonzealous will get it, but waay too late. By then he will be overweight and rusty (and maybe still too lethargic) to do anybody any good.