Twitter: Martellus Bennett pays tribute to Jason Witten

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bennet always seemed like a really interesting dude, but probably not a great teammate. He’s clarified his relationship with Witten many times over the years, and I expect this is heartfelt and genuine, despite the rocky relationship as teammates. Thanks for posting it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
M.B. hated him because he was the consummate pro and M.B. wasn't at the time. So if Witten is the DUDE, and you're trying to get playing time, of course, you're going to hate him because he's your competition.

But that doesn't mean you can't recognize his distinguished career - a career that was so good it kept you off the field. That's not hypocrisy.

aria

Reaction score
As a adult....you age. Get older and wiser. Doesn't make his statement in the past not true he's just matured enough to let things ride. Takes far more energy to be hateful than it does to be respectful.
Nah...hating is easy but it’s nice to see Bennett give Witt some love.

irishline

Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong, but didn't he come and say he was in the wrong with his relationship with Witten

Even though @JasonWitten & I never had a great relationship he's the best TE I've ever seen play @terrellowens told me to study him so I did

Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) June 20, 2017

When I was with the @dallascowboys I wouldn't to be myself make my own way. As soon as I left I mimicked Witten in a lot of ways. Lol

Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) June 20, 2017

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...cked-Jason-Witten-as-soon-as-I-left-53252457/

Still, Bennett candidly acknowledged again Monday that he and Witten never had the strongest relationship while they were teammates. And part of it, of course, stemmed from a young player’s eagerness to contribute being stonewalled by a reliable and durable veteran’s monopoly on the reps.

“This is the NFL,” Bennett said. “I’m going to break it down to you in layman’s terms. Every single year, there’s a lion coming out of college. And every single year, there’s an old buck in the NFL who’s a gazelle. And every single morning the gazelle wakes up and goes out and has to run. Otherwise the lion catches it. So every single day, the lion wakes up and chases that gazelle. In that situation (in Dallas), I was the lion.”

Bennett paused and smiled.

“I didn’t catch the gazelle, though,” he said with a chuckle. “I had to go to another jungle.”

https://www.capitalgazette.com/chi-martellus-bennett-jason-witten-rivalry-20141201-story.html