Twitter: Martellus Bennett pays tribute to Jason Witten

Gaede

Reaction score
Perspectives change as people grow and gain experience. In my view that should be saluted not look down upon.

No ****. Bennett was an immature kid who has grown as a person. That's a great thing.

I'm starting to think that this board is either full of 14 year olds or who don't know **** or 64 year olds who never grew themselves

Praxit

Reaction score
..I guess he grew up. UPS can make a man of some, sometimes. ;)..

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Even though @JasonWitten & I never had a great relationship he's the best TE I've ever seen play @terrellowens told me to study him so I did

Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) June 20, 2017

When I was with the @dallascowboys I wouldn't to be myself make my own way. As soon as I left I mimicked Witten in a lot of ways. Lol

Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) June 20, 2017

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...cked-Jason-Witten-as-soon-as-I-left-53252457/

Still, Bennett candidly acknowledged again Monday that he and Witten never had the strongest relationship while they were teammates. And part of it, of course, stemmed from a young player’s eagerness to contribute being stonewalled by a reliable and durable veteran’s monopoly on the reps.

“This is the NFL,” Bennett said. “I’m going to break it down to you in layman’s terms. Every single year, there’s a lion coming out of college. And every single year, there’s an old buck in the NFL who’s a gazelle. And every single morning the gazelle wakes up and goes out and has to run. Otherwise the lion catches it. So every single day, the lion wakes up and chases that gazelle. In that situation (in Dallas), I was the lion.”

Bennett paused and smiled.

“I didn’t catch the gazelle, though,” he said with a chuckle. “I had to go to another jungle.”

https://www.capitalgazette.com/chi-martellus-bennett-jason-witten-rivalry-20141201-story.html

Exactly! You hate that you couldn't catch the gazelle. But you admire how the gazelle was able to avoid you all those years, and study what the gazelle had to do to survive for when it's your time to flee lions. ;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It is a shame that Bennett was to hard-headed to learn more from Witten. He had much more physical ability, but his attitude kept him from reaching his full potential.
I doubt, though, that he would have thrived in Dallas even if he was the model teammate.
This was Witten's team. The coaching staff wasn't going to move him out or share a significant portion of his snaps.
Dallas tends to play "their" guys. So other guys have to leave to get their playing time.
Look at Beasley.
He never would have thrived here because Dallas had its go-to receivers. It was best for his career he left Dallas for Buffalo.

Big D

Reaction score
And sometimes, it's that simple.
if-you-knew-urhr8g.jpg

rags747

Reaction score
Good for Marty B! Always thought he was a super cool dude and this only proves it further. Marty is no ones fool, quite the smart dude. He’s much more than just a football player!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Marty said he hated Witt lol

That's because he couldn't fit his shoes. There are a lot of young players who are jealous of the better ones in front of them, and feel like they could outperform the vet if given the chance.

Perspectives change the further you get from that competitive situation. It's like a child who comes back to the parent as an adult and says, "You were right."

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No ****. Bennett was an immature kid who has grown as a person. That's a great thing.

I'm starting to think that this board is either full of 14 year olds or who don't know **** or 64 year olds who never grew themselves

People who struggle to see things getting better.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Full circle, nice touch Mr Bennett. Ever once in a blue moon someone still manages to surprise me in this ugly world.

Don’t be so hardened that you miss the good stuff.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
This is the same clown that bashed Witten in an interview with his brother stating that he hated Witten
Both of them act like the NFL owes them........other than the MILLIONS of dollars they have been paid for playing a game. Working half a year. Poor babies.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
What I thought....so this may just be him joking on the All American again.
No, wouldn't entertain that unspoken aspect/ dude prolly needs the green reefer to help him get wide open& honest( remember the "I luv you ,man" beer commercialso_O)