Martin contract getting closer but not official until contract details are released

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's really not. The only risk in restructuring deals is if you do it to the point where you have everything leveraged and an injury puts you over the cap such that you have to cut talent to match the cap.

Dollars are transferable and diminish in value year to year. There is no downside in what we are doing.

Basically what he is doing is taking the valid concerns people have about financing things to push costs down the line but in that case you accrue interest at a level that outstrips the lessening value of the dollar. There is no interest in the NFL.

And when you ask him to validate anything he has nothing more than platitudes and hand wringing. I don't see that as fair or reasonable. Ignorance is no justification for such things.

Well, I don't have much to go on, as far as the financial side is concerned. I just think that we'll be alright. After all, I'm not one to worry about things like this. Like I said, what we did with extending Martin gives us a load more options offensively and defensively. I think it will be fun watching us impose our will on teams again. Want to win games? Impose your will on defenses. I liken handegg to chess a lot. What's the best way to win a chess match? Get yourself in a position to dictate to the other opponent what moves he'll make. The way you do that in handegg is to control the ball. How do you do that? Well, you need an offensive line for that, old boy.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
Interesting take. You attended 4 games? Thats awesome congratulations. You seem like the typical Cowboys fan who wont admit good things when they happen because we arent used to them.

Awuzie had one of the lowest completion percentages against him when thrown to out of all rookies last year. He isnt that good though you're right. Lewis made mistakes but looked damn good most of the time, and Woods was played out of position, a lot, and still managed an INT. Jeeze it took Byron almost 3 years for his first. I may be a homer, but I am also anticipating the secondary to grow and look much better this year with time under their belts. Publications dont rate Martin the best G in football? I actually want to see some proof of that. You seem pretty confident so it shouldnt be to difficult for you to prove. He was just rated the best G in football by his own peers in the NFL top 100 in 2016. So I really dont know where you are trying to go with this. He had a down year? Pretty sure our entire team did, including the coaching, mostly the coaching actually.

What bothers me most about this, is youre all upset about paying the man. In 2 years he wont be the highest paid and it wont even be a bad deal. LOL.
Lol is fitting because that's what I was doing. Why would u congratulate me for attending Football games, I " perceive u to be condescending with that but anyways. I'm again not the fan of what u "perceive" me to be. The statement of me being a fan that won't admit when good things happen is incorrect as well. In fact the good thing happened when we selected " Zack Martin" I have a friend that Notre Dame is his favorite college football team & he raved about him that entire draft process. I was aware of our potential of drafting "Johnny Manziel" when we drafted Zack, I was enthused & relieved because I didn't want to draft"Manziel" I thought that was a good thing, does that count in ur evaluation of me:!'-))

Now about publications rating Zack. There are many but I specifically use& read an assortment of them. I recommend PFF, Bleacher Report, CBS sports Pro football rankings, 24/7 sports,USA today, Sporting news, NFL rankings & even Madden ratings. As u said ur citing 2016 season I specifically said he had a down year & that I'm going off current rankings but to each his own. Its really on how u feel hence I said that's homerism on ur part. I seen DT's work that man this year which I looked at him different afterwards.

Now I'm curious to one of ur statements when u said coaching had a down year. In order to go down it must infer that one was up. When was this perception that our coaching staff was up? This coaching staff has been pretty much sub-par from its inception.See the delusional mindset I'm referring to:;'-))

Lastly I'm not upset phildadon! Where did u get that from? I just don't think it was wise to give a guard a record amount of money. You & many don't see it now but it will cost us a player or two down the road to compensate for this record amount werwe giving Martin. Paying guards record amounts is not the prudent thing to do in order to build a competent good roster. I think that type of money could have been allocated in more vital positions & roles. I dislike & disagree with our philosophy on using limited resources to field the best D- lineman more specifically D- tackles but we spend high resources & a great deal of money on the offensive Line. We have had arguably the best offensive Line since We aquired Martin & how many playoff wins has that gotten us? Meanwhile we can't stop a crucial offensive drive to save our season. Look I'm a football savant & my two favorite positions are OG&DT, so I'm Definitely not against having good boths but that's exactly what I want good boths instead of great one& below average the other. Just my thoughts & opinions & I think I'm Backed up with the history of football but hey what do I know ha:;'-))

J12B

Reaction score
We have 26 million in dead money this year because of past restructures with Romo and other bad deals with Dez Bryant (I'll admit, I was all for that signing).

Even though Dez was signed in 2014, here we are with 8 million in dead cap because the FO structured his deal how you want Martin's deal to be structured.

J12B

Reaction score
It's really not. The only risk in restructuring deals is if you do it to the point where you have everything leveraged and an injury puts you over the cap such that you have to cut talent to match the cap.

Dollars are transferable and diminish in value year to year. There is no downside in what we are doing.

Basically what he is doing is taking the valid concerns people have about financing things to push costs down the line but in that case you accrue interest at a level that outstrips the lessening value of the dollar. There is no interest in the NFL.

And when you ask him to validate anything he has nothing more than platitudes and hand wringing. I don't see that as fair or reasonable. Ignorance is no justification for such things.

Explain how we are 26 million in dead money

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Well, I don't have much to go on, as far as the financial side is concerned. I just think that we'll be alright. After all, I'm not one to worry about things like this. Like I said, what we did with extending Martin gives us a load more options offensively and defensively. I think it will be fun watching us impose our will on teams again. Want to win games? Impose your will on defenses. I liken handegg to chess a lot. What's the best way to win a chess match? Get yourself in a position to dictate to the other opponent what moves he'll make. The way you do that in handegg is to control the ball. How do you do that? Well, you need an offensive line for that, old boy.

For me to be realistically concerned about this deal I would need to see a projection of what Dak, Zeke, and DLaw's potential deals. The cap/roster situation in those years and how Martin's cap hits would preclude that.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

If you look at the 2019 tab we have 61 players under contract and even with Martin's deal well over $50m in cap space. the only dead money is Scandrick.

It's fearful fantasy.

ksg811

Reaction score
We have 26 million in dead money this year because of past restructures with Romo and other bad deals with Dez Bryant (I'll admit, I was all for that signing).

Even though Dez was signed in 2014, here we are with 8 million in dead cap because the FO structured his deal how you want Martin's deal to be structured.

Dez's dead money is all signing bonus. It would have remained the same $8M whether his cap was structured to be $16M this year or $16M in 2014. You have an inherent misunderstanding of how the cap works, which negatively affects your attempted arguments.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Lol is fitting because that's what I was doing. Why would u congratulate me for attending Football games, I " perceive u to be condescending with that but anyways. I'm again not the fan of what u "perceive" me to be. The statement of me being a fan that won't admit when good things happen is incorrect as well. In fact the good thing happened when we selected " Zack Martin" I have a friend that Notre Dame is his favorite college football team & he raved about him that entire draft process. I was aware of our potential of drafting "Johnny Manziel" when we drafted Zack, I was enthused & relieved because I didn't want to draft"Manziel" I thought that was a good thing, does that count in ur evaluation of me:!'-))

Now about publications rating Zack. There are many but I specifically use& read an assortment of them. I recommend PFF, Bleacher Report, CBS sports Pro football rankings, 24/7 sports,USA today, Sporting news, NFL rankings & even Madden ratings. As u said ur citing 2016 season I specifically said he had a down year & that I'm going off current rankings but to each his own. Its really on how u feel hence I said that's homerism on ur part. I seen DT's work that man this year which I looked at him different afterwards.

Now I'm curious to one of ur statements when u said coaching had a down year. In order to go down it must infer that one was up. When was this perception that our coaching staff was up? This coaching staff has been pretty much sub-par from its inception.See the delusional mindset I'm referring to:;'-))

Lastly I'm not upset phildadon! Where did u get that from? I just don't think it was wise to give a guard a record amount of money. You & many don't see it now but it will cost us a player or two down the road to compensate for this record amount werwe giving Martin. Paying guards record amounts is not the prudent thing to do in order to build a competent good roster. I think that type of money could have been allocated in more vital positions & roles. I dislike & disagree with our philosophy on using limited resources to field the best D- lineman more specifically D- tackles but we spend high resources & a great deal of money on the offensive Line. We have had arguably the best offensive Line since We aquired Martin & how many playoff wins has that gotten us? Meanwhile we can't stop a crucial offensive drive to save our season. Look I'm a football savant & my two favorite positions are OG&DT, so I'm Definitely not against having good boths but that's exactly what I want good boths instead of great one& below average the other. Just my thoughts & opinions & I think I'm Backed up with the history of football but hey what do I know ha:;'-))
Coaching has been up 2 years of the 8. Its a shame. It really is. And you had to bring up Manziel? I had almost completely forgot that kid existed

J12B

Reaction score
So what? Cap accelerations are spread over one or two years and then go away. What is the opportunity cost at any point?

So what? We could have only signed D Lawrence and kept Ronald Leary last year. Yeah, who cares

You're avoiding the question

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For me to be realistically concerned about this deal I would need to see a projection of what Dak, Zeke, and DLaw's potential deals. The cap/roster situation in those years and how Martin's cap hits would preclude that.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

If you look at the 2019 tab we have 61 players under contract and even with Martin's deal well over $50m in cap space. the only dead money is Scandrick.

It's fearful fantasy.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the breakdown, but, like I said, I'm not one to get worried too easily. I see this as no different. I'm not terribly worried about the cap situation. We're much better off than we were about 8 years ago.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So what? We could have only signed D Lawrence and kept Ronald Leary last year. Yeah, who cares

Cause romo retired and we decided to eat Dez's acceleration all at once. It remains inconsequential.

And our cap situation did not preclude us from signing Leary. DLaw hadn't emerged this time last year plus he's still on the team anyway. Your revisioning needs work.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Cause romo retired and we decided to eat Dez's acceleration all at once. It remains inconsequential.

And our cap situation did not preclude us from signing Leary. DLaw hadn't emerged this time last year plus he's still on the team anyway. Your revisioning needs work.

Exactly, and the reason that we franchise tagged him, if I understand it correctly, is that we want to see him be more consistent. If he winds up being consistently good for us, then I reckon that we'll resign him properly.

Reactions: CWR

ksg811

Reaction score

Lawrence can still be signed, there is nothing stopping them from doing so.

Leary has also already proved in his first year with Denver he wasn't worth the contract. Diminished play and continuing issues with his degenerative knee and adding a back injury. Now you're just creating strawman arguments

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lawrence can still be signed, there is nothing stopping them from doing so.

Leary has also already proved in his first year with Denver he wasn't worth the contract. Diminished play and continuing issues with his degenerative knee. Now you're just creating strawman arguments

Well, to be fair to Denver, their offensive line in general is rubbish. Still, he wasn't quite the player that he was here even in our not so great oline days. I do think that our FO has improved at not resigning players before they need to. If Leary had the kind of season with us that he had in Denver with the same contract, I reckon the same chaps wringing their wrists about us not signing him would be moaning the fact that we DID sign him. And tagging DLaw was the smart choice. I like the chap, but there wasn't really a lot to go on before last year and maybe the year before. If he shows that he is consistent this year, then I could see us resigning him, but there was no need to extend him beyond the tag this year. That's why the NFL has the franchise tag option.

J12B

Reaction score

Are you kidding me? Romo restructured every year he was under contract after signing his final extension, which is why there is so much dead money after his early retirement.

Dead money became an issue since last year and this year it has hit an all time high as a result of past mis management of the cap. If you can't see that, then you are blind.

Also, the cap was highly considered when Leary walked obviously it dictates a majority of the decision making process. D-Law would have been signed had we had an extra 10 million in cap space.

You really don't know when to give up, do you

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They just don't get it. Go ahead and spend a couple hundred mil on your O-line. Hope they can rush the passer and defend the pass/run for you as well. Guess we will have to score 40 a game to be successful with our Bargain basement defense

40 points a game with Dak at QB ya right ...lol....will be lucky to kick some FG now and then...unless Zeke is facing a weak defense then maybe we will get some TD maybe....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
40 points a game with Dak at QB ya right ...lol....will be lucky to kick some FG now and then...unless Zeke is facing a weak defense then maybe we will get some TD maybe....

Oh, come now, Pappy. No need to be too worried about that. If Dak is rubbish, which I don't think he'll be, then we'll be right onto the fast track to get a new QB, won't we? In fact, I suppose that might well have been part of the logic in drafting White in round 5. Now, I don't think Dak will be an absolute disaster, but this is his third season in the NFL. I think we'll get a more full idea of what we've got this year in him. But, if he plays brilliantly, then what's to stop us from going a long way?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, come now, Pappy. No need to be too worried about that. If Dak is rubbish, which I don't think he'll be, then we'll be right onto the fast track to get a new QB, won't we? In fact, I suppose that might well have been part of the logic in drafting White in round 5. Now, I don't think Dak will be an absolute disaster, but this is his third season in the NFL. I think we'll get a more full idea of what we've got this year in him. But, if he plays brilliantly, then what's to stop us from going a long way?

Dak playing brilliantly will surprise not only myself but the NFL in general. May it be so and np ill eat all the crow in the world.
But before the Dak-bots start cooking the crow id keep the stove cold for now as after what the NFL has seen with all his flaws the word brilliant and Dak are leagues apart at present.
Its going to be a interesting coming season and I have a feeling a lot of this Dak support will be gone from these forums by week 10......tick tock tick tock....

ksg811

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Romo restructured every year he was under contract after signing his final extension, which is why there is so much dead money after his early retirement.

Dead money became an issue since last year and this year it has hit an all time high as a result of past mis management of the cap. If you can't see that, then you are blind.

Also, the cap was highly considered when Leary walked obviously it dictates a majority of the decision making process. D-Law would have been signed had we had an extra 10 million in cap space.

You really don't know when to give up, do you

D-Law would have been signed prior to last year? Really? Based on what? He had only 9 sacks in 3 years and missed 16 of 48 games. What in that track record deserved a long term deal, never mind one that needed $10M in space?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak playing brilliantly will surprise not only myself but the NFL in general. May it be so and np ill eat all the crow in the world.
But before the Dak-bots start cooking the crow id keep the stove cold for now as after what the NFL has seen with all his flaws the word brilliant and Dak are leagues apart at present.
Its going to be a interesting coming season and I have a feeling a lot of this Dak support will be gone from these forums by week 10......tick tock tick tock....

Well, he managed to play brilliantly in 2016, especially while Dez was out. I agree that we'll see what happens. I'm not saying that you're going to be wrong. I certainly hope that you are. I just don't know what we'll have. I looked at the Dak and Romo situation differently than others, as I've said and others can verify from the old site. I like both chaps, and I think that both would've done well that season. I think Dak's a lovely chap, and I think it'd be delightful if he does well. Of course, he could be downright dreadful, and we'll be in the QB market. No trouble at all from me, dear boy.