Martin contract getting closer but not official until contract details are released

J12B

Reaction score
D-Law would have been signed prior to last year? Really? Based on what? He had only 9 sacks in 3 years and missed 16 of 48 games. What in that track record deserved a long term deal, never mind one that needed $10M in space?

No, he could've been signed this off season had there been more cap space

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No, he could've been signed this off season had there been more cap space

On top of what @ksg811 stated, I think it's also easy to forget that, as I have stated previously, that he wasn't as consistent as the FO would like. In fact, I daresay that he was not as consistent as we'd like. Would that be fair to say? Plus, we've done this before with signing chaps to longer contracts after 1 spectacular season. Does the name Anthony Spencer mean anything to you?

J12B

Reaction score
He's already under contract for this year at $17M on the franchise tag! A long term deal would only decrease that cap figure. They don't need more space. You don't know what you're talking about.

Because the team can't take that risk long term based on past performance. Had there been more cap space, there would have been more room for error.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Because the team can't take that risk long term based on past performance. Had there been more cap space, there would have been more room for error.

Even if we DID have more cap space than that, why risk it on a player that you don't know to be consistent? The franchise tag is there to see how consistent someone is before you commit to them long term. If he does prove to be good again this season, then brilliant. I think that we've got the cap space to extend him long term if he shows that he's truly consistent.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Also, the cap was highly considered when Leary walked obviously it dictates a majority of the decision making process. D-Law would have been signed had we had an extra 10 million in cap space.

Maybe if you close your eyes and wish real hard the above will become true. I'd ask you to prove any of that but we both know you cannot.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
Coaching has been up 2 years of the 8. Its a shame. It really is. And you had to bring up Manziel? I had almost completely forgot that kid existed
Are u serious Phildadon? I personally think coaching is the reason why both them formidable teams didn't enjoy the success they should have. I only assume ur referring to the 2014&2016 seasons. In 2014, I felt it was the coaching decision of throwing the ball deep on manageable 4th&2, nevermind the fact we completed the pass, yeah I know it was ruled a incompletion but the coaching decision that proceeded that play was highly questionable & that wasn't the only questionable coaching decisions that game nor that playoffs. I felt that Garrett didn't have his team in playoff mode& necessarily ready against Detroit the week prior.

The same sentiments exactly on the 2016 season, Daks first. I won't go into the benching of Romo when he was completely healthy & Dak doing the brunt of the work by positioning us to be a playoff team. I knew the history of the NFL& I knew that a rookie QB never won a Superbowl. I wished for Romo to be ur QB that playoff run but I don't chagrin on the coaching staff to stay with a hot Dak, I know that was a tough position for them so that's not my gripe. My frustrations come with how prepared or how little prepared our team was the very first playoff game. We had a bye& had a inferior packers team on the road in our house that we beat pretty convincely @ their place but yet before u can grab a beer from the refrigerator & use the bathroom, we're already down 18 points. I put that on our coaching staff. Because nowhere in the playoffs irregardless of seedings that year was a team as ill-prepared as us. It was maddening & I'm still not over it.. so u see it's how u view it. I thought we won in spite of our coaching those particular years. I've never seen this coaching staff go out& win us a game I felt our team couldn't or didn't win. I see it with other coaches &teams but not mines& it frustrates the hell out of me.

Lastly, u really forgot about Manziel? Wow!! How could u as much as that narrative & story was overblown. The insinuation that Stephen had to talk Jerry down from the ledge& we finally made a great draft evaluation was as i said overblown & romanticized a great deal I think. Let's not include how the media is puckering right back up to him in his attempted come back that he currently has going on in the CFL. His skills to the attention he receives is so out of wack & so not deserving. But he's one thing America surely likes so he will receive chance after chance. Nevertheless I find it hard to believe u forgot about ole Johnny Boi, maybe you wanna forget about him & for that I can't blame u:;'-))

J12B

Reaction score
On top of what @ksg811 stated, I think it's also easy to forget that, as I have stated previously, that he wasn't as consistent as the FO would like. In fact, I daresay that he was not as consistent as we'd like. Would that be fair to say? Plus, we've done this before with signing chaps to longer contracts after 1 spectacular season. Does the name Anthony Spencer mean anything to you?
He was hit with the tag his final two years
Maybe if you close your eyes and wish real hard the above will become true. I'd ask you to prove any of that but we both know you cannot.

You haven't proven anything either. 49ers proved my exact point with Garappolos deal. A lot of it is just common sense.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He was hit with the tag his final two years

You haven't proven anything either. 49ers proved my exact point with Garappolos deal. A lot of it is just common sense.

Oh...I thought he was signed. Still, I think you get my point.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

You were owned roundly as to the motivation and structure of the deal by kg, chachi.

And I am not the one making outlandish claims. My argument revolves around the expansion of the cap and lack of interest in restructures. You haven't contested that.

But it is nice to know you won't back your word. Figures.

J12B

Reaction score
You were owned roundly as to the motivation and structure of the deal by kg, chachi.

And I am not the one making outlandish claims. My argument revolves around the expansion of the cap and lack of interest in restructures. You haven't contested that.

But it is nice to know you won't back your word. Figures.

Everytime I check this forum I have a new reply from you. Just take the L and move on.

This is my final message

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Everytime I check this forum I have a new reply from you. Just take the L and move on.

This is my final message

Introspection is not your strong suit is it?

And you can surrender the argument if you like. That is fine with me. Thanks for the interwebs victory proclamation. Tis comedy gold.

J12B

Reaction score
They didn’t want to spend a lot on Leary because of his injury potential not because of salary cap.

Leary may have missed one or two games due to injury during his time in Dallas and was a very reliable starter. The injury concern was overplayed

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Leary may have missed one or two games due to injury during his time in Dallas and was a very reliable starter. The injury concern was overplayed
Not by the Cowboys. They know all about a knee with no cartilage.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Right then, so let's assume that we DID extend him to the same contract that Denver gave him, and he the knee concern becomes a reality. Are you telling us that you would just shrug it off? Because I get the distinct impression from you that you'd be the first one complaining about us extending his contract.

J12B

Reaction score
Right then, so let's assume that we DID extend him to the same contract that Denver gave him, and he the knee concern becomes a reality. Are you telling us that you would just shrug it off? Because I get the distinct impression from you that you'd be the first one complaining about us extending his contract.

No, not at all. Had we had a nice cap situation we could have taken that risk. In my opinion the Oline took a step back last year and I believe it had a lot to do with Leary's departure

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No, not at all. Had we had a nice cap situation we could have taken that risk. In my opinion the Oline took a step back last year and I believe it had a lot to do with Leary's departure

Very well then, because I personally was rather concerned about his knee injury. I don't think our cap space is as bad as others make it out to be, but I'm not exactly that on queue with everyone else in that regard.

J12B

Reaction score
Very well then, because I personally was rather concerned about his knee injury. I don't think our cap space is as bad as others make it out to be, but I'm not exactly that on queue with everyone else in that regard.

The fact was Leary missed only one or two games during his time in Dallas. Injury was never a concern for me because he performed well consistently when given the opportunity.

We are finally in the clear, after at least 5 or 6 years of poor cap management by restructuring deals every off season to bring in costly over paid free agents. The front office is finally starting to get it. If only a few members on here would as well.