News: Marvin Austin still has a way to go as a player

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin spent two seasons with the Giants after they made him a second-round pick in 2011. He spent two games with the Dolphins this season before his release Oct. 15.

“It’s definitely a new beginning and a lot to build on,” Austin said.

Austin, listed at 6 foot 2, 312 pounds, still was pouring with sweat a half hour after practice. He admits he is not in football shape.

“Not good enough,” Austin said. “To be honest with you just the way they practice and the way they want you to go out there and play, I’ve got to keep working every day to get in shape to go out there and perform.”

Read more here:http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...r-but-still-has-a-way-to-go-as-a-player-.html

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
If he wants to be an NFL player, he'd better get his butt in gear!

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
We signed a bust. No shock he's a ways off from contributing.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking at our schedule, we might not see much of him until after our bye week.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
At least he has the right attitude.

It may just be lip service, but it seems like there were some positives from his statements and it seems like he does have the right attitude.

There's accountability with his "Not good enough" statement and his statement about "not having excuses" with regard to being coached up by the best.

The article states that he wants Marinelli to work his magic on him, but that's not a quote. But hopefully, he has the 'want to' along with accountability.

The want factor is the thing I'm most worried about, and injury history a distant 2nd.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Play him a certain number of plays, even now.
Keep him fresh. Then as he gets himself in shape we can increase his workload.

He surely could give 2-3 plays a quarter right now. That's 8-12 plays a game. That's enough to see what he is capable of, .. and he might even make a big play in there somewhere.

If he can't handle getting in shape or the increase in workload, .. he can leave.

His choice.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like you don't have to be in that great of shape to play the 15 or so snaps a game that he would actually get. He's going to be what, #4 on the depth chart?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like you don't have to be in that great of shape to play the 15 or so snaps a game that he would actually get. He's going to be what, #4 on the depth chart?

Yep, sprint shape.
Marathon shape can come with time.

TonyS

Reaction score
Play him a certain number of plays, even now.
Keep him fresh. Then as he gets himself in shape we can increase his workload.

He surely could give 2-3 plays a quarter right now. That's 8-12 plays a game. That's enough to see what he is capable of, .. and he might even make a big play in there somewhere.

If he can't handle getting in shape or the increase in workload, .. he can leave.

His choice.

Not a bad idea WV. You would have to get to the point with him strength-wise and conditioning-wise where you think he can be effective for enough snaps to justify a spot on the active roster for that week rather than someone else who might be able to contribute. I for one hope he can get there sooner rather than later. We'll see what this kid is made of for sure in the upcoming days/weeks.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I hope he can contribute something cause we need desperately to give Hayden less snaps.

He's saying the right things, hopefully he does the right things. 'The way they want me to practice and go out there and play' sounds wonderful.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I hope he can contribute something cause we need desperately to give Hayden less snaps.

He's saying the right things, hopefully he does the right things. 'The way they want me to practice and go out there and play' sounds wonderful.

Yes to this