CFZ Matchup with with Seattle and all time history numbers

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Bad idea because it puts your starting QB’s throwing hand at risk. I’d venture to say that you can’t an NFL team in the last five years that used their starting QB for the holder. I’m not putting my starter in a situation where a freak accident ruins the season.
Probably not.. but when the season started Romo was not the starter nor was there any inkling that he would be. Bledsoe just stunk up the joint so bad that Parcells had not choice but to go with Romo. Parcells had been using him as holder for two reasons: 1) To keep his head in the game and 2) To provide a legit passing threat on a fake. As for the "freak accident" thing. I'd venture to day that you can't find a single instance in the last 50 years of an NFL kicker kicking the holder's hand. You have more of a chance of his hitting his hand on a defender's helmet by a huge margin. So stop having them throw the ball?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could be wrong but I don't think that 2020 game was at AT&T. That was the Covid year and I distinctly remember the first two games being on the road that year. First in L.A. then in Seattle. I remember the talk at the time being that if we lost to ATL we would start 0-3 and have Cleveland who was playing very well to that point? up next?
You are correct Ron. That 2020 regular season loss to Sea was at their place. Thanks for the correction. I fixed it in the OP.
:thumbup:

Thomas82

Reaction score
There's definitely some frustrating history with them. The first game that comes to mind for me is 2002, the game Emmitt became the all-time leading rusher. I believe we would have won that game if we gave him the ball more.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They'll be a desperate team on Thursday. I could see it being a lot like the Bills/Eagles. The Bills were desperate and out played the Eagles before the Eagles figured out a way to win the game. It wouldn't surprise me if the Seahawks bring their A game and the Cowboys somehow cheat to win it at the end.

Plus don't overlook the trap game aspect. Thanksgiving last week. The Eagles next week.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I was at the 2014 game in Seattle. Absolutely incredible city, venue and atmosphere. So much so it is now on our list, like Sofi and New Orleans.... when the Cowboys are in those cities, we go. Wife and I are going to Seattle in January for a weekend just for the hell of it.

We should win this game by 14 or more.

plasticman

Reaction score
I would be genuinely concerned if this game was being played in Seattle. Their fans make a lot of noise.

That's just got to be hell playing the Cowboys when they are sandwiched between two meetings with the 49ers.

Oh, and by the way, as soon as they are through with the last 49er game, here come the Eagles.

Ranked near the bottom in 3rd down efficiency while their defense is ranked near the bottom in preventing 3rd down conversions.

Techsass

Reaction score
I feel good about this game, especially if Geno is still having issues with his bruised triceps. They've only scored 3 TDS in their last 4 games. The article also said they've gone 20 possessions since their last offensive TD. I'm guessing their defense or special teams have scored, since they specifically said offensive TDs.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seattle is a good team but I feel as if they are a bit overrated. Geno is playing like his old self, Kenneth Walker is hurt, Metcalf has been playing hurt and not his usual self, Lockett had not had one 100 yard game this year and has only scored in 3 games this year, the rookie Smith-Njigba has been completely irrelevant this far and the defense is just average at best. Limit penalties, limit turnovers, get the run game going……we win…

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This Thursday, the Cowboys and Seahawks will line up against each other for the 22nd time in history including the playoffs. Recent history has had these two teams in a lot of close games.
Here are the records in regular season and the playoffs:
  • Cowboys lead the regular season series 10-9.
  • Cowboys are 1-1 vs Sea in the playoffs.
    • Everyone remembers Bill Parcells’ last game in the wild card round loss in 2006 when Romo bobbled the snap in the 21-20 loss.
    • In 2018, the Cowboys beat the ‘hawks in a wild card game 24-22.
  • Since 2012, Sea has won 5 of the last 6 regular season games.
    • Sea won the last regular season meeting in 2020 when the seabags beat us 38-31 in Seattle.
    • Our last regular season win vs Sea was in 2014 when Romo led the Cowboys to a 30-23 upset in sea.
    • The average margin of victory in 4 of the last 6 matchups is less than 7 points.
All statistical data points to the Cowboys having the edge Thursday. This will be a good test for the Cowboys facing a team with realistic playoff chances. Here are a few stats about the Seahawks:
  • Sea has a -20 point differential compared to the Cowboys NFL leading +162.
  • Sea has lost 2 straight games and have a 6-5 record.
  • Sea offense ranks 21st in total offense compared to Cowboys offense which is ranked 4th.
  • Sea defense ranks 23rd in total defense vs the Cowboys 3rd ranked D.
  • Sea averages 20.8 points per game; Cowboys avg league leading 31.5.
  • Sea averages giving up 22.6 points per game vs Dallas giving up 16.8.
Should be a fun game that the Cowboys should win. Anything can happen - it’s the NFL. But the Cowboys are clearly the better team.
Holy crap, that upset was nine years ago already???

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
My favorite Cowboys-Seahawks memory is from 1977, when we sent them a handfull of picks to draft Tony Dorsett as the second player in that year's draft.

Rayman70

Reaction score
this is the definition of a trap game. Seattle is a scrappy try hard team that is well coached. They are big and physical up front. Geno Smith will take his shots down field. He isn't afraid. Hès hard to bring down. If we play fundamentally sound ball, we will win the game, but it won't be what we are used to. Won't be a blow out. I think it will be like 23-16. Much closer than we think. If we can't establish the run early, this is anyone's game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Something concerns me about facing a team with playoff aspirations that have lost 2 in a row. That’s desperation time.
yes, so everything is on the table. Seattle must win this game or their season is likely over. This will be a donny brook.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
Hope your right but I disagree. They will be desperate. They have everything to lose. We are playing with house money. That said, we need to win to have any chance at the division.
I do think Dallas will play with a chip on their shoulder. All the talk of them never beating teams with a winning record has to be getting to them. But I think that is a BS talking point. If the Seahawks currently have a winning record (6-5), and the Cowboys beat them, then they will no longer have a winning record. If they finish the season with a losing record, did they beat a team with a winning record or not?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I do think Dallas will play with a chip on their shoulder. All the talk of them never beating teams with a winning record has to be getting to them. But I think that is a BS talking point. If the Seahawks currently have a winning record (6-5), and the Cowboys beat them, then they will no longer have a winning record. If they finish the season with a losing record, did they beat a team with a winning record or not?
agree. The media is always moving the goal posts.The refs do this to us as well.