Twitter: Maurice Canady: There is no comp for Micah Parsons

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You know, it isn’t just his size and speed, although it truly is a very rare combination to run 4.38 at 245. It is the athleticism and football instincts that he possesses that allows him to be so rare.

His movement, going laterally or even backwards is more like a cornerback than an OLB/DE. He’s so smooth changing directions and turning his hips that he actually does look like a giant corner. His explosion and burst are just crazy for a front 7 guy. And when he gets there, he’s violent and always going for the ball.

And, to go along with that, he has some really good football instincts and understands leverage and angles very well. That’s not to say that he can’t take a bad angle from time to time but it is rare, especially for a LB who has only played LB for two years of his life. And when he does take a false step, that insane athleticism he has negates his mistake, in large part.

Micah’s outstanding football instincts and understanding of the game really show up when he’s able to get after the QB. He has a natural knack for timing his blitzes, slipping blocks and getting home on his rush. He is a natural pass rusher.

That is what is encouraging for me: it is far more than just an insane combo of size and speed… Parsons is a good football player who is in the infancy of his career. He is going to improve by leaps and bounds as his knowledge catches up to his natural instincts and physical ability.

All of that in a 245 pound package absolutely should make QB’s sit up and take notice. He’s going to pressure them and half the time, he’s going to be on top of them before they can even set their feet.

He is going to be a game changer. A game breaker. A culture changer. He’s going to make everyone on that side of the ball better. The entire defense is going to feed off of him and get their confidence and swagger from him being on the field. He’s going to get sacks, TFL’s, cause fumbles… he’s going to make big plays.

High praise, I know… but I truly believe that’s what this guy is going to bring. We haven’t really seen someone with his ability, instincts and athleticism before. When his knowledge catches up to all that… look out.

Manster68

Reaction score
You know, it isn’t just his size and speed, although it truly is a very rare combination to run 4.38 at 245. It is the athleticism and football instincts that he possesses that allows him to be so rare.

His movement, going laterally or even backwards is more like a cornerback than an OLB/DE. He’s so smooth changing directions and turning his hips that he actually does look like a giant corner. His explosion and burst are just crazy for a front 7 guy. And when he gets there, he’s violent and always going for the ball.

And, to go along with that, he has some really good football instincts and understands leverage and angles very well. That’s not to say that he can’t take a bad angle from time to time but it is rare, especially for a LB who has only played LB for two years of his life. And when he does take a false step, that insane athleticism he has negates his mistake, in large part.

Micah’s outstanding football instincts and understanding of the game really show up when he’s able to get after the QB. He has a natural knack for timing his blitzes, slipping blocks and getting home on his rush. He is a natural pass rusher.

That is what is encouraging for me: it is far more than just an insane combo of size and speed… Parsons is a good football player who is in the infancy of his career. He is going to improve by leaps and bounds as his knowledge catches up to his natural instincts and physical ability.

All of that in a 245 pound package absolutely should make QB’s sit up and take notice. He’s going to pressure them and half the time, he’s going to be on top of them before they can even set their feet.

He is going to be a game changer. A game breaker. A culture changer. He’s going to make everyone on that side of the ball better. The entire defense is going to feed off of him and get their confidence and swagger from him being on the field. He’s going to get sacks, TFL’s, cause fumbles… he’s going to make big plays.

High praise, I know… but I truly believe that’s what this guy is going to bring. We haven’t really seen someone with his ability, instincts and athleticism before. When his knowledge catches up to all that… look out.
Bob Lilly is 1st team All-Century team as well as so many other achievements (HOF).
Randy White (the real Manster) is an all time great (HOF).
Mel Renfro is one of the greatest secondary players ever to play (HOF).
Lee Roy Jordan is one of the most underappreciated Linebackers ever to play.
Cliff Harris made the All-70s team (HOF).
Charlie Waters has 9 post-season interceptions - underappreciated Safety.
Harvey Martin (to ME) is the greatest pass rusher in Dallas Cowboys history.
Charles Haley was purely unbelievable (HOF).
Darren Woodson was the best Safety in the 90s.
Deion Sanders is the greatest corner of all time (HOF)
Demarcus Ware is the most dominating defensive player for the Cowboys this century.

These are just some of the greatest defensive players in Cowboys history.

Micah Parsons can eclipse them all.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We need a positive thread.

Generational talent.

Apparently Canady never crossed paths with Rickey Dudley.. the 6'6" 250 tight end from Ohio State who I believe ran 4.4 at the combine.. which of course compelled Al Davis to draft him in the first round. He also apparently has managed to not ever meet Vernon Davis.. who ran 4.38 at the combine at 6'3" 254 .. Not to take anything away from Parsons' freakish athleticism.. but folks need to stop acting like we've never seen it before.. We absolutely have.. That's not to say I'm not happy we got him.. because I am.. I think he's going to do big thangs for us.. I'm sure he'll have a better career than Dudley.. but he's gonna have to go some to surpass Davis. If he does, then yeah.. fit him for a gold jacket, cause Davis had a pretty good run.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
He has the physical tools, no doubt about it and I'm exited to see what he does on game day, could be special. Gonna sound weird but I wish he wasn't a LB though. I'd rather sit here thinking we had Chase Young / Miles Garrett / Jalen Ramsey (don't mention 2016 pick 4!!!) given the influence they have on the game because of position. Put this another way, we have one of the best guards to play the game for years in Martin but does he change a game? I just wish our blue chip players were at positions of huge influence and LB isn't that is the game today...........still excited by Parsons but just saying!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He has the physical tools, no doubt about it and I'm exited to see what he does on game day, could be special. Gonna sound weird but I wish he wasn't a LB though. I'd rather sit here thinking we had Chase Young / Miles Garrett / Jalen Ramsey (don't mention 2016 pick 4!!!) given the influence they have on the game because of position. Put this another way, we have one of the best guards to play the game for years in Martin but does he change a game? I just wish our blue chip players were at positions of huge influence and LB isn't that is the game today...........still excited by Parsons but just saying!

Parsons will have more opportunities to make game changing plays than any of those people you mentioned for the simple reason that he's going to be playing in the middle of the defense much of the time AND he's faster than all of those people you named and can simply get to more plays. I would not be surprised if he finishes the season with more tackles than Young, Garrett and Ramsey combined. Beside that having a 250 pound heat seeking missile coming up behind ball carriers is going to generate a lot of turnovers. His ability to explode past blockers into the backfield is going to create a ton of TFLs. His flat out speed and athleticism is going to allow him to get his hands on balls that QBs are used to being able to lay in between the backers and the DBs.. They're not going to be able to get away with that as easily with that guy on the field. Still the operative word in my first sentence is opportunities. If Quinn doesn't use him properly none of it will matter. We need to see it in real games against real competition but the tools are there for him to be the best defensive player in the game in a couple of years. Who ISN'T excited about that?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Parsons will have more opportunities to make game changing plays than any of those people you mentioned for the simple reason that he's going to be playing in the middle of the defense much of the time AND he's faster than all of those people you named and can simply get to more plays. I would not be surprised if he finishes the season with more tackles than Young, Garrett and Ramsey combined. Beside that having a 250 pound heat seeking missile coming up behind ball carriers is going to generate a lot of turnovers. His ability to explode past blockers into the backfield is going to create a ton of TFLs. His flat out speed and athleticism is going to allow him to get his hands on balls that QBs are used to being able to lay in between the backers and the DBs.. They're not going to be able to get away with that as easily with that guy on the field. Still the operative word in my first sentence is opportunities. If Quinn doesn't use him properly none of it will matter. We need to see it in real games against real competition but the tools are there for him to be the best defensive player in the game in a couple of years. Who ISN'T excited about that?
I could name a few but wont do it.

Manster68

Reaction score
Demarcus Ware was blessed to have Bill Parcells the first two seasons of his career. Parcells didn't just teach him to be a pass rusher - he was taught to be a linebacker.

I think you can say something similar about Parsons. Quinn is teaching him to be a complete linebacker.

Thomas82

Reaction score

Excellent post!! I agree with every word of it. I wanted us to draft an O-lineman with our top pick, but was not upset when we took Parsons. He's quickly become my favorite defensive player.

plasticman

Reaction score
Demarcus Ware was blessed to have Bill Parcells the first two seasons of his career. Parcells didn't just teach him to be a pass rusher - he was taught to be a linebacker.

I think you can say something similar about Parsons. Quinn is teaching him to be a complete linebacker.
The job won't be as difficult for Quinn. Parsons has the natural linebacker instincts that Ware never had. Ware was a defensive end converted to a 3-4 linebacker but still utilized as almost a fulltime pass rusher. Ware had to work and study very hard to learn his position but Parsons was a linebacker in college. He was the prototype LB that could cover almost the whole field and knew how to escape blocks from big guys.

Ware could make the Cowboy defense more dangerous but Parsons is a legitimate game changer who can hurt opponent offenses in a multitude of ways, the most likely to be turnovers.

Ware got a lot of good sacks but on many occasions the opponent offense could recover in the same series of downs. This made Ware's sack irrelevant at times, a non-issue. Parsons goes for the ball. Turnovers are different, their offense gets off the field and the Cowboys get an extra drive, often with great field position.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Parsons hasn't played a real game down yet so I will hold off on comments about "How Great " he is until I see him dominate at the next level. Remember it was just yesterday when everyone was on Jaylen's bandwagon...............................

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
You don't want to put the gold jacket on early but he's about as sure a bet as there is from what I've seen and heard. He is pure alpha dog, a pack leader.

Some mentioned on another thread that a rookie could not be named captain ....but in this case, i feel Parsons has the leadership and respect already from his teammates, especially on defense, to be able to fit that role. He WILL be the leader of the defense and the one who they feed off of. He should be named one of the captains of this team by MM for this coming season.

Motorola

Reaction score
20 days until Parsons' debut - with a nation-wide NFL audience tuning in.