Mavs 24

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It was a great run by the Mavs. They proved unequivocally that they are amoung the NBA's elite, beating three supposedly better teams on the way to the Finals. I hope you Mavs fans have enjoyed the run. Ive been on the other end of it in 2022, and even i Bostons ECF runs. I know its a crap feeling, but it also gives you an idea of what improvements you need to make to get over the hump

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Congrats to the Celts.
12-2 playoff run is elite stuff.

This played out about how I expected for the Celts with the East providing no challenge whatsoever than the West team being ground to dirt.

As this is a Mavs thread:
Mavs faithful can feel great about this all. Team is now young, playoff experienced and very, very dangerous.
Hard to get back to the Finals but Dallas has the pieces locked in for a great multiyear run.

Dallas will look to move on from Maxi/THJ. But the 6-man rotation should be largely unchanged.
Getting DJJ handled will be the largest order of business.
Dallas has a very spare level of resources but doesn't need to get much better.
Just cycle out some pieces for similar talents that are younger, healthier.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You dont get to the Finals without being among the elite. Boston is just that much better than the NBA's current top teams
100%.
Mavs were the lower seed in every series they played.
Was an all-time great run by a 5 seed.
Never fun to lose games but a lot of teams have been on vacation for a month.
Mavs fans got a free month of unexpected exhilaration.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ran into a juggernaut…

I’m not sure of our chances to win with Luka playing this type of way….no rest in the offseason, dominates usage…..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
100%.
Mavs were the lower seed in every series they played.
Was an all-time great run by a 5 seed.
Never fun to lose games but a lot of teams have been on vacation for a month.
Mavs fans got a free month of unexpected exhilaration.
You are right but I do question how good this team is. They got a lot of young teams to crumble. I’m not entirely sure if those same young teams won’t be better or more prepared next season.

I say this to say that the Mavs are going to need a strong offseason to get back to the Finals. It would be nice to get one or two more rotational guys in there….also would be nice if Omax, Green and Hardy can be those guys.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You are right but I do question how good this team is. They got a lot of young teams to crumble. I’m not entirely sure if those same young teams won’t be better or more prepared next season.

I say this to say that the Mavs are going to need a strong offseason to get back to the Finals. It would be nice to get one or two more rotational guys in there….also would be nice if Omax, Green and Hardy can be those guys.
There are some moves you guys can make. Good thing for you is with Luka and Kyrie you dont some major earth shattering mortgage the future move. You can probably get a good #3 cheap with some of the contracts on roster. And you can upgrade some role players.

A big question I have for you is PJ Washington a hold or move. There is talent, but is he a quality #3 on a title contender? I think he is at 17 mil so he could be part of a package to bring in a 3rd guy

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There are some moves you guys can make. Good thing for you is with Luka and Kyrie you dont some major earth shattering mortgage the future move. You can probably get a good #3 cheap with some of the contracts on roster. And you can upgrade some role players.

A big question I have for you is PJ Washington a hold or move. There is talent, but is he a quality #3 on a title contender? I think he is at 17 mil so he could be part of a package to bring in a 3rd guy
He's too crucial to what they want to do. He allows you to play Kyrie and Luka together. He's the best defender on the team and he can hit the corner 3.

Now one thing i'd like to see from him is develop his offensive game some because I think he can. I've seen him do it with Charlotte at times. Its just Luka and Kyrie are so ball dominant its hard for others to do anything.

But if the plan is for Luka to dominate the ball and kick out to open 3 point shooters then they have to keep him.

My theory is that I think this team is going to struggle to win a ring with Luka out there. On offense they play too slow and if he's going to be a turnstyle on defense and turnovers we don't' stand a chance. He has to play more sound basketball if he's going to dominate nas much usage as he does.

I'm not advocating trading him because we got to the Finals with him. I just hope Kidd can mature his game. Its not extreme things he needs to work on its the small basic things that i'm not sure why he doesn't have. Get back on defense and crying to the refs is one I just don't get why he doesn't understand that. You learn that in Elementary School.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Congrats to the Celts.
12-2 playoff run is elite stuff.

This played out about how I expected for the Celts with the East providing no challenge whatsoever than the West team being ground to dirt.

As this is a Mavs thread:
Mavs faithful can feel great about this all. Team is now young, playoff experienced and very, very dangerous.
Hard to get back to the Finals but Dallas has the pieces locked in for a great multiyear run.

Dallas will look to move on from Maxi/THJ. But the 6-man rotation should be largely unchanged.
Getting DJJ handled will be the largest order of business.
Dallas has a very spare level of resources but doesn't need to get much better.
Just cycle out some pieces for similar talents that are younger, healthier.
THJ and Washington together give you 34 million. That could be monumental. And with Luka and Irving you could probably find a "negative asset" to take on and have it work out. Dont necessarily have a name atm. THJ and Kiebler get you Cam Johnson. Kind of a poor mans OG. Could be an ideal add and you still hold Washington or move him for a plus role player

I think you should move Gafford and give the reigns to Lively. I think they are a bit redundant, and Gafford brings you back a solid role player. I think a switchable perimeter centric 5 would go better behind Lively

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's too crucial to what they want to do. He allows you to play Kyrie and Luka together. He's the best defender on the team and he can hit the corner 3.

Now one thing i'd like to see from him is develop his offensive game some because I think he can. I've seen him do it with Charlotte at times. Its just Luka and Kyrie are so ball dominant its hard for others to do anything.

But if the plan is for Luka to dominate the ball and kick out to open 3 point shooters then they have to keep him.

My theory is that I think this team is going to struggle to win a ring with Luka out there. On offense they play too slow and if he's going to be a turnstyle on defense and turnovers we don't' stand a chance. He has to play more sound basketball if he's going to dominate nas much usage as he does.

I'm not advocating trading him because we got to the Finals with him. I just hope Kidd can mature his game. Its not extreme things he needs to work on its the small basic things that i'm not sure why he doesn't have. Get back on defense and crying to the refs is one I just don't get why he doesn't understand that. You learn that in Elementary School.
I think Washington is a good 4th guy. I think ideally you can bring in a 3rd and hold him. As a 3rd option, Im not so sure he is enough. I mention above replying to @jterrell , THJ and Keibler contracts let you trade for Cam Johnson. Cam isnt better than Washington, but that trade lets you hold Washington. So you now you have Luka, Irving, and two wings who are good to strong defenders and solid 3 point shooters. Thats pretty compelling.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think Washington is a good 4th guy. I think ideally you can bring in a 3rd and hold him. As a 3rd option, Im not so sure he is enough. I mention above replying to @jterrell , THJ and Keibler contracts let you trade for Cam Johnson. Cam isnt better than Washington, but that trade lets you hold Washington. So you now you have Luka, Irving, and two wings who are good to strong defenders and solid 3 point shooters. Thats pretty compelling.
I’d prefer him be a 4 here but I mean he knows I like a lot of these guys. Josh Green is key if he can just become a starter.

But I like Cam Johnson he’s a guy that can contribute to what the Mavs like to do.

T-RO

Reaction score
If Lively can develop a bit offensively, become any kind of 3-point threat...it will change everything for Dallas.

I congratulate Boston. They were clearly the best team. And the classiest person in the whole Finals affair -- by far -- was Joe Mazzulla. I'm a Mavs fan, but far more a fan of values and integrity, and that man has it.

I'm a Luka fan, but if Doncic can only feed off f-bombs and b-bombs to the crowd and his opponents...I'm far less enthusiastic about the Mavs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Lively can develop a bit offensively, become any kind of 3-point threat...it will change everything for Dallas.

I congratulate Boston. They were clearly the best team. And the classiest person in the whole Finals affair -- by far -- was Joe Mazzulla. I'm a Mavs fan, but far more a fan of values and integrity, and that man has it.

I'm a Luka fan, but if Doncic can only feed off f-bombs and b-bombs to the crowd and his opponents...I'm far less enthusiastic about the Mavs.
Those type of players typically don't develop a deep game. There are exceptions though (Myles Turner). He is a great rim runner though, and that should serve well with who he has around him. I do think the Mavs should roll with Lively and move Gafford. Get a perimeter centric 5 in the rotation behind Lively

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

They beat a veteran last chance 4 seed Clips, a young inexperienced 1 seed in OKC and then the balanced 3 seed Minny with very vet Gobert and Conley starting.

They just ran into a team with 10 good players and 7 of them being good 2-way guys who had no sweat all playoffs.

Not like the Mavs are maxed out by any means. Lively is their 3rd best player and a 19-year-old rookie.

In the west you'd pick OKC's situation, but Dallas is right there as the 2nd best going forward.
It's not like this was a fluke run. Dallas has been very, very good since they made the trades at the deadline.

Dallas needs to figure out if Hardy can be a 2-way guard if they have to go sign/trade for one.
They need off of THJ and Maxi's money.
They have two firsts and 2 seconds they can trade to make that happen.

Then you get into more exotic stuff if they want to make Green or Hardy available.
But they are looking to create 4-6M in cap spend reduction to get DJJ at least a solid MLE offer and then improve the 8th and 9th guys in the rotation.

Far too much made of losing this one series to a team that was dominant all year.

Any Luka slander is just goofy. He put up an all-time great playoff run and was good enough to crush Minny in the WCF.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

You'd have hated Michael Jordan.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They beat a veteran last chance 4 seed Clips, a young inexperienced 1 seed in OKC and then the balanced 3 seed Minny with very vet Gobert and Conley starting.

They just ran into a team with 10 good players and 7 of them being good 2-way guys who had no sweat all playoffs.

Not like the Mavs are maxed out by any means. Lively is their 3rd best player and a 19-year-old rookie.

In the west you'd pick OKC's situation, but Dallas is right there as the 2nd best going forward.
It's not like this was a fluke run. Dallas has been very, very good since they made the trades at the deadline.

Dallas needs to figure out if Hardy can be a 2-way guard if they have to go sign/trade for one.
They need off of THJ and Maxi's money.
They have two firsts and 2 seconds they can trade to make that happen.

Then you get into more exotic stuff if they want to make Green or Hardy available.
But they are looking to create 4-6M in cap spend reduction to get DJJ at least a solid MLE offer and then improve the 8th and 9th guys in the rotation.

Far too much made of losing this one series to a team that was dominant all year.

Any Luka slander is just goofy. He put up an all-time great playoff run and was good enough to crush Minny in the WCF.
I disagree. I think Minnesota and Thunder are better teams with higher upsides. West will be wide open again and Mavs have to be careful in not staying with the same team just because they made the finals.

Look at the Nuggets went from winning it all to losing to Minnie l.

Not sure what you qualify as slander. He’s not immune to criticism that’s for sure. If Lebron and MJ can be criticized at 25 certainly he can.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

There’s the workout tape of him shooting 3s. Not sure if I want him out there though he seems to be a big threat in the paint.