Mavs 24

T-RO

Reaction score
Tonight……Gafford said “whats up!!”
Yes he certainly did. And I really respect the way that man balls...and his classy humble nature.

I am concerned about Lively's injury. I think Antman has played small in big part due to Lively's all-around defense.

Look...I think Lively is going to be one of the most talented bigs in the game. He is so young but has such incredible movement skills and bball intelligence. As he adds a little strength and gets more experienced the sky is the limit. He will become more of a scorer than just dunks. Dude is just 20 years old!

Jayinem

Reaction score
A sprain neck usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to heal according to google. That would put him out even for the Finals. That was going to be an advantage we had over Boston size rebounding rim protection. Gafford can do some of it but not as good as Lively, and he can't do it for 48 minutes. Dwight Powell sucks.

If Porzingis plays and plays well, this would probably tip the championship to Boston. You might could argue that Luka & Kyrie > Tatum Brown by a small amount, but then they got Holiday, White, Porzingis better than Washington, DJJ, Gafford.

But then again, I didn't think Mavs were even going to be here because Luka has been injured the entire playoffs. Can't count him and Kyrie out completely.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
I've read that Kleber could be back super soon. Could really need him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Tonight……Gafford said “whats up!!”
Gafford really brought it when it counted the most in deciding moments .. this is why he is ..and remains so very valuable and appreciated.
This is why we traded for him .

- Still blocking big shots,
- still a presence,
- still hustling,
- still making huge impacts at both ends ..
- still playing like a hunger lion.

Where would we be without Gafford ? .. .Dwight Powell ? .. Yikes !

quickccc

Reaction score
I've read that Kleber could be back super soon. Could really need him.
Oddly because I heard just the opposite , that he is out of the playoffs with that dislocation of the shoulder.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Oddly because I heard just the opposite , that he is out of the playoffs with that dislocation of the shoulder.
I don't think the status of Maxi is known yet, he's supposed to get re-evaluated any day now. But he was supposed to be out 3 weeks and it's been 3 weeks so idk.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes he certainly did. And I really respect the way that man balls...and his classy humble nature.

I am concerned about Lively's injury. I think Antman has played small in big part due to Lively's all-around defense.

Look...I think Lively is going to be one of the most talented bigs in the game. He is so young but has such incredible movement skills and bball intelligence. As he adds a little strength and gets more experienced the sky is the limit. He will become more of a scorer than just dunks. Dude is just 20 years old!
Always felt Lively is more athletic and covers more ground than Gafford, which includes running the floor from end to end in a fast break blink.
but as broadcast observers have pointed out several times, Derrick sets up and makes plays in the passing game that leads to some well placed open shots for others.

Gafford is not near the passer that Lively is. .

Jayinem

Reaction score
Gafford really brought it when it counted the most in deciding moments .. this is why he is ..and remains so very valuable and appreciated.
This is why we traded for him .

- Still blocking big shots,
- still a presence,
- still hustling,
- still making huge impacts at both ends ..
- still playing like a hunger lion.

Where would we be without Gafford ? .. .Dwight Powell ? .. Yikes !
We actually beat Wolves in a regular season game before we had Gafford and Lively was injured, the only big that played was Dwight Powell.

quickccc

Reaction score
We actually beat Wolves in a regular season game before we had Gafford and Lively was injured, the only big that played was Dwight Powell.

Being it's the playoffs where all the stakes are on the line, Advance or go home, do or die decisive games and series, and adrenaline is at it's highest, coaching changes and adjustments, etc., i value what we do in the playoff games over regular season results.

We've gelled, complemented and grown as a more complete team now than what we were developing during the regular season, especially down in clutch, decisive last 3 to 2 minutes of a close game.

We've even managed to get over that first game lost trend in playoff series that we we mysteriously having in Clippers, OKC series.
We're proving clutch and finishers in the deciding moments, when it matters the most.
That's why I am so liking this team's championship pedigree.

This is where I can see the comparisons to the 2011 team in this sense.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Trust me I know, I'm just shocked we could get that win but we also made the WCF 2 years ago with Dwight Powell starting. Amazing what the talent of Luka with a Brunson or Kyrie can do. But I don't want to see Powell anywhere near the court unfortunately I'm worried about Lively's injury. I'm just not sure we can beat Boston without Lively and probably Maxi too so I hope they come back.

I'm going to say this though I'm not expecting big things from Porzingis. I think he would hurt Celtics more than help, not just because he hasn't played since April 29th but I don't think he's someone that rises in the playoffs. I saw him come up small in Dallas against Clippers. I think he's more of a regular season player and Mavs are a bad match up for him, not to mention the fact that it'll be the Finals and Mavs are his former team. A lot of pressure to deliver I don't think he has that in him. He could prove me wrong though, if he even plays.

quickccc

Reaction score
A sprain neck usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to heal according to google. That would put him out even for the Finals. That was going to be an advantage we had over Boston size rebounding rim protection. Gafford can do some of it but not as good as Lively, and he can't do it for 48 minutes. Dwight Powell sucks.

If Porzingis plays and plays well, this would probably tip the championship to Boston. You might could argue that Luka & Kyrie > Tatum Brown by a small amount, but then they got Holiday, White, Porzingis better than Washington, DJJ, Gafford.

But then again, I didn't think Mavs were even going to be here because Luka has been injured the entire playoffs. Can't count him and Kyrie out completely.
who knows how long Unicorn will last. .he is due back soon, but can go at any time.

I can see Lively out for game 4, .. but i am so hoping Gafford stays out of foul trouble and we find some way of going small with just Jones & Washington instead of Powell , to compensate just enuff to close the Minny series ..and get Lively and Luka that vastly needed rest and healing
into the Boston finals .

If not for the injuries, Powell would be on the back bench and unseen. He truly does suck ! ....and worth repeating, i cannot wait to upgrade over Hardaway & Xam.

Jayinem

Reaction score
I heard Draymond say something interesting on Inside the NBA last night, the Warriors made Celtics dribble left in the Finals and they couldn't do it they can only dribble right. Someone needs to get the message to Kidd.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Trust me I know, I'm just shocked we could get that win but we also made the WCF 2 years ago with Dwight Powell starting. Amazing what the talent of Luka with a Brunson or Kyrie can do. But I don't want to see Powell anywhere near the court unfortunately I'm worried about Lively's injury. I'm just not sure we can beat Boston without Lively and probably Maxi too so I hope they come back.

I'm going to say this though I'm not expecting big things from Porzingis. I think he would hurt Celtics more than help, not just because he hasn't played since April 29th but I don't think he's someone that rises in the playoffs. I saw him come up small in Dallas against Clippers. I think he's more of a regular season player and Mavs are a bad match up for him, not to mention the fact that it'll be the Finals and Mavs are his former team. A lot of pressure to deliver I don't think he has that in him. He could prove me wrong though, if he even plays.
That's the thing, Porzingis is maybe the third best player and has no pressure. Some nights he may even be the 4th or 5th depending on what White and Holiday are doing. This is the perfect situation for him.

Jayinem

Reaction score
That's the thing, Porzingis is maybe the third best player and has no pressure. Some nights he may even be the 4th or 5th depending on what White and Holiday are doing. This is the perfect situation for him.
I know on paper it might seem that way but I would be shocked if he had even a good series

-out since April 29th
-no history of good playoff basketball what so ever, choked in Dallas
-playing his former team Dallas
-pressure of helping Celtics win a championship in the Finals

He was bad in 2 of the 4 games in the first round even. Now if he only needs to score 12 for Celitcs to win, he can probably do that. But 20 per game which is what he always averages in the regular season? I do not believe he can do that. I think it might all depend on how well Derrick White plays offensively. If he comes up big, Porzingis probably won't need to do a whole lot. But they can't always count on that. Tatum and Brown will get theirs but so will Luka and Kyrie, probably more so than Tatum/Brown. Then you got lobs to Lively/Gafford (assuming health on Lively's part). Mavs will also need PJ Washington and Derrick Jones Jr. to contribute.

I don't do predictions I'm not sitting here saying Mavs have it in the bag. But this won't be the cakewalk a lot of Celtics fans think, and they might not even come out on top. I think it could really go either way. I just wonder if Celtics have enough size if Porzingis is getting most of the minutes, or will they split time with him and Horford. It's going to be a very interesting series.

If Lively is not healthy though, I'd probably assume Boston will win. Rebounding and rim protection is so important for Dallas.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Dont discount Tatum and Browns 2 way game. They arent as sexy as some top 2's offensively, but both are near All NBA quality defenders

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Porzingis plays a great 2 game with Brown as well. Brown will be tough to defend with Porzingis

Jayinem

Reaction score
Dont discount Tatum and Browns 2 way game. They arent as sexy as some top 2's offensively, but both are near All NBA quality defenders
I'm well aware of their defense, but nobody can stop Luka and Kyrie and that's not disrespectful to either of them, it's just the truth. The closest anyone got was Lu Dort who's built like he could be on the Cowboys linebacker squad, while Luka was clearly injured, and he still went for 25/11/9. That was the worst series of his career. I was told Jaden McDaniels would stop Luka on the Wolves he's 2nd team all NBA defense, Luka's averaged 33 ppg.

But I feel like Luka/Kyrie and Tatum/Brown will just cancel each other because they're hard to stop as well. Luka and Kyrie are both playing the best defense of their life, but I'm not going to say they'll stop either of them. I think it'll come down to what the 3-8 guys do because all 4 will get theirs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm well aware of their defense, but nobody can stop Luka and Kyrie and that's not disrespectful to either of them, it's just the truth. The closest anyone got was Lu Dort who's built like he could be on the Cowboys linebacker squad, while Luka was clearly injured, and he still went for 25/11/9. That was the worst series of his career. I was told Jaden McDaniels would stop Luka on the Wolves he's 2nd team all NBA defense, Luka's averaged 33 ppg.

But I feel like Luka/Kyrie and Tatum/Brown will just cancel each other because they're hard to stop as well. Luka and Kyrie are both playing the best defense of their life, but I'm not going to say they'll stop either of them. I think it'll come down to what the 3-8 guys do because all 4 will get theirs.
I will be say beware of Kyrie shooting Dallas out of games, particularly in Boston. One thing that has been an achilles heal for him most of his career is its been easy to get under his skin. And Boston fans are going to brutal to him