Mavs vs Thunder in the Western Conference Finals?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Anybody else feeling like this is going to happen?

As a Thunder fan, I'm curious to see what most of you Mavs fan think about the potential of this series. And I'm also curious what you think about it becoming the beginnings of a new rivalry. All the hatred that would spill over from the OU/Texas world, and all that. Maybe a new Red River Rivalry in a way. I know the Spurs are your rivals and we're just the new kids on the block, but it has definite potential. Thoughts?

MC KAos

Reaction score
if i was a mavs fan, knowing their history, i would condemn this thread!!

btw memphis is gonna be tough to beat at home

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
nyc;3943139 said:
Yeager hates you. :D
Haha. I'll embrace the hate. ;)

MC KAos;3943139 said:
if i was a mavs fan, knowing their history, i would condemn this thread!!

btw memphis is gonna be tough to beat at home
Yeah, trust me, I'm plenty worried about Memphis and not overlooking them in the least. And their home crowd all of a sudden is crazy, almost OKC-like. Funny though, they only sold out 4 games in the regular season, and now they've sold out 5 playoff games. Haha. If my Thunder can steal one in Memphis, I'll feel much better.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm an OKC fan, but based on what I've seen, I'm not sure they beat the Grizz. OKC just looks a little out of sorts with this new playoff pressure stuff, especially being a favorite... Too many turnovers and poor offensive execution. Which is perfectly understandable given their inexperience. For some reason, Memphis is functioning more smoothly than they are.

But then, maybe Memphis was just on fire that first game, and the second game was more the real team. I don't know. It's also possible that OKC will actually be a little more relaxed and free on the road.

Either way, I'd have to pick the Mavs to win the West. I think their experience would carry them through against either the Thunder or the Grizz.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I don't think OKC-Dallas will replace Mavs-Spurs for a long, long time. But this could be the start. However the Thunder don't really have anybody that would inspire hatred a la Ron Artest.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
It could be a beast rivalry but we already have our main one with the spurs but the spurs are getting old so they may go through a rebuilding process, who knows. Dallas seems to be getting younger actually which is great. I think if we can replace Terry and Kidd with younger, better guys we will be playoff good for another few years but after Dirk leaves...I can't imagine what this team will be like. I hope we start developing younger talent in the next couple of years. I really don't want to go through a lottery season...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I think if Dallas can handle Los Angeles in a seven game series, they can certainly handle OKC

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Thunder will run the Mavs out of the building. But don't count out the Griz.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Great responses, thank you guys. It's fun to hear the perspective from the other side.

Yeah, I know it won't be the level of Spurs/Mavs, but I'm glad to see some of you do agree it could be the making of another good rivalry. Maybe the more current one, with the Spurs aging. Almost like the current Cowboys/Eagles as opposed to the Cowboys/Commanders. If we face off for the right to go to the Finals, and the series goes 7 games, there will be some newborn hatred on both sides I'm sure.

I do agree that we don't have anyone you guys will end up hating. They're a likable group. Maybe Kendrick Perkins. :) But especially since our superstar played at Texas, and because he's such a good, good dude, I figure it'd be hard to root against him. Unless, of course, he's killing your team. :D

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3943648 said:
Thunder will run the Mavs out of the building. But don't count out the Griz.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think a team that is potentially going to sweep the defending champs and has the deepest bench in the NBA is going to get run by the Thunder. Dallas would have homecourt, much more playoff experience and would have beaten two teams that everyone was predicting them to lose to.

Also, Dirk just has a look in his eyes this year like nothing we've ever seen from him before. It's the same look we saw from Wade in the 2006 Finals. It's like it doesnt matter who is guarding him, he won't be stopped.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3944234 said:
I think you're kidding yourself if you think a team that is potentially going to sweep the defending champs and has the deepest bench in the NBA is going to get run by the Thunder. Dallas would have homecourt, much more playoff experience and would have beaten two teams that everyone was predicting them to lose to.

Also, Dirk just has a look in his eyes this year like nothing we've ever seen from him before. It's the same look we saw from Wade in the 2006 Finals. It's like it doesnt matter who is guarding him, he won't be stopped.
Dirk does indeed look amazing so far in these playoffs.

How about my Thunder last night? Wow... what a game! This is a fantastic series.

IF we end up playing the Mavs, the matchups should be interesting.

Westbrook vs Kidd- Kidd has the smarts, Westbrook has the athletic ability. I don't think Kidd can stop Westbrook's drives to the rim. But Kidd will make smart, veteran plays.

Perkins vs Chandler- Both great defensive players that are limited on offense. Will probably cancel each other out. Chandler is definitely more of an offensive threat though.

Ibaka vs Dirk- Dirk owns this matchup, although Ibaka will block some shots and get some rebounds and surprise you with his midrange game.

KD vs Marion- KD owns this matchup.

Harden vs Terry- Both these guys get more minutes than the starting SG's, so I'm using this matchup. Both have good all around games and are wildcards.

Benches- Both teams have really nice depth and role players. Guys like Collison or Barea could be difference makers.

So what do you guys think of the matchups?

MC KAos

Reaction score
It's gonna be a long series no matter who it ends up being. Don't overlook the grizzle tho they are very capable of winning 2 of 3 from the thunder, they have already done it this series

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
MC KAos;3947032 said:
It's gonna be a long series no matter who it ends up being. Don't overlook the grizzle tho they are very capable of winning 2 of 3 from the thunder, they have already done it this series
Oh trust me, no Thunder fan is overlooking the Grizz. They battle hard. Notice I said "IF" we move on to the next round in my first post, cause I am definitely still afraid of the Grizz. That said, we do have homecourt advantage back, and some good momentum to boot. If we win tonight, I'll be feeling much better.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;3946876 said:
Dirk does indeed look amazing so far in these playoffs.

How about my Thunder last night? Wow... what a game! This is a fantastic series.

IF we end up playing the Mavs, the matchups should be interesting.

Westbrook vs Kidd- Kidd has the smarts, Westbrook has the athletic ability. I don't think Kidd can stop Westbrook's drives to the rim. But Kidd will make smart, veteran plays.

Perkins vs Chandler- Both great defensive players that are limited on offense. Will probably cancel each other out. Chandler is definitely more of an offensive threat though.

Ibaka vs Dirk- Dirk owns this matchup, although Ibaka will block some shots and get some rebounds and surprise you with his midrange game.

KD vs Marion- KD owns this matchup.

Harden vs Terry- Both these guys get more minutes than the starting SG's, so I'm using this matchup. Both have good all around games and are wildcards.

Benches- Both teams have really nice depth and role players. Guys like Collison or Barea could be difference makers.

So what do you guys think of the matchups?

Kidd wouldnt be guarding Westbrook. Dallas tried using Kidd on Chris Paul in the 2008 playoffs and he destroyed him. Kidd just doesnt have the quickness anymore to guard players like him. In fact, this should be OKC's biggest advantage, because Dallas really doesnt have anyone who can check Westbrook. Marion can be effective against Durant, but Westbrook has more quickness than anyone on our roster save Beaubois who can't break the rotation since he got hurt. Dallas will try Brewer and Stevenson on him, but I suspect he'd average 25-30 PPG in the series.

Chandler and Perkins will get chippy and possibly ugly. Both guys are defensive enforcers who don't take any attitude from anyone and have a history. I'd expect a couple techs and maybe even an ejection from these two.

Dallas will put Marion on Durant and hopefully try and limit him while Westbrook goes off. So long as Westbrook and Durant arent combining for 50+ every game we'll be ok. If Marion can't at least contain Durant, OKC has a real shot.

Ibaka will turn Dirk into a jumpshooter (whereas he drive the lane against the Lakers) but Dirk spent the first decade of his career as a pure jumpshooter so he'll manage.

Terry is a monster lately, he's shooting 53% from three since the beginning of April. Harden will be another tough cover for Dallas.

I'll say the Mavericks would win in 6 or 7. OKC is too tough a place to play for anything less. The key will be for Terry, Peka and Kidd to keep hitting the open shots.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3947812 said:
Kidd wouldnt be guarding Westbrook. Dallas tried using Kidd on Chris Paul in the 2008 playoffs and he destroyed him. Kidd just doesnt have the quickness anymore to guard players like him. In fact, this should be OKC's biggest advantage, because Dallas really doesnt have anyone who can check Westbrook. Marion can be effective against Durant, but Westbrook has more quickness than anyone on our roster save Beaubois who can't break the rotation since he got hurt. Dallas will try Brewer and Stevenson on him, but I suspect he'd average 25-30 PPG in the series.

Chandler and Perkins will get chippy and possibly ugly. Both guys are defensive enforcers who don't take any attitude from anyone and have a history. I'd expect a couple techs and maybe even an ejection from these two.

Dallas will put Marion on Durant and hopefully try and limit him while Westbrook goes off. So long as Westbrook and Durant arent combining for 50+ every game we'll be ok. If Marion can't at least contain Durant, OKC has a real shot.

Ibaka will turn Dirk into a jumpshooter (whereas he drive the lane against the Lakers) but Dirk spent the first decade of his career as a pure jumpshooter so he'll manage.

Terry is a monster lately, he's shooting 53% from three since the beginning of April. Harden will be another tough cover for Dallas.

I'll say the Mavericks would win in 6 or 7. OKC is too tough a place to play for anything less. The key will be for Terry, Peka and Kidd to keep hitting the open shots.

FYI, Kidd was guarding Kobe in the Lakers series. He did a really good job of it too.