Maybe Nolan isnt the problem

Dre11

Reaction score
Of course. This fanbase has crazy expectations. I generally try to be fair, but this defense is indefensible. The Giants did nothing until they played DAL. Bad players can be managed to less than 30 ppg. I remember 2013 and how bad they looked switching systems. It wasn't this bad.

they need to reevaluate how and who they bring in on defense, i mean when tou go cheap, you get cheap play.

Haimerej

Reaction score
they actually did since week 2, they still make mistakes, they make mistakes with simple coverages you learn in middle school football

I've still seen the DEs two gapping. That's when Crawford has been getting blown out mostly. He was never head up before this year and it shows. Woods has been awful, too. Catching instead of attacking. They're consistently getting pushed 3 yards deep. It's really bad. If they attack gaps on running downs they could at least cause a little disruption. They're getting washed out now.

Haimerej

Reaction score
they need to reevaluate how and who they bring in on defense, i mean when tou go cheap, you get cheap play.

Definitely. There is a rebuild coming whether Nolan stays or not. Going forward in the moment, I still think they could do a better job of mitigating what we're seeing on the field.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Definitely. There is a rebuild coming whether Nolan stays or not. Going forward in the moment, I still think they could do a better job of mitigating what we're seeing on the field.
Good posts. Good stuff. Thx.

Dre11

Reaction score

they're trying, it's why they tried to simplify things. but when players can't physical hold they're gaps, or the LBs can't get their run fits right, you're in trouble. the best we can hope for is the players to get their heads out their *****

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
My son is playing varsity as a freshman and is learning a whole new defense at a different position. I dont need to see the playbook. I can tell who has outside contain and i can tell who screws up a gap. These are basic fundamentals

You just keep telling yourself that you are the master of the Cowboys complicated convoluted defense and all of the different alignments and that you know what each players responsibility is in every one of those alignments because your kid plays high school football. Boy the more I think about that the more I see your kids football makes all the difference.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I have answered- the GM is accountable to the owner except in Dallas. Any other owner would have fired GM Jerry a long time ago. And the owner is accountable to the fans if fans would ever stop drinking his koolaide

But Jones is the owner and your original comment and I'll quote you "Because if the people at the top are never held accountable, no one else can either." is saying Jones isn't held accountable. Now you want to change it to IF Jones was a GM on another team he would be fired, and you finally say the fans is who Jones is accountable to. Let me ask you how many people live in the Metroplex that have never been able to get tickets to a Cowboys game that will take their chance because some fans want to pout?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But Jones is the owner and your original comment and I'll quote you "Because if the people at the top are never held accountable, no one else can either." is saying Jones isn't held accountable. Now you want to change it to IF Jones was a GM on another team he would be fired, and you finally say the fans is who Jones is accountable to. Let me ask you how many people live in the Metroplex that have never been able to get tickets to a Cowboys game that will take their chance because some fans want to pout?

i am so sick of the Jones's....its because of them we are always messed up

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You just keep telling yourself that you are the master of the Cowboys complicated convoluted defense and all of the different alignments and that you know what each players responsibility is in every one of those alignments because your kid plays high school football. Boy the more I think about that the more I see your kids football makes all the difference.

i so wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment---- to even consider installing a difficult brand new defense when no off season ...no real camp or practice time....sheer stupidity....because of Covid season scale back so players continue to

react and not have to think and then build slowly on it...McCarthey and staff and Jones leadership all just lie to us...as long as Jones GM and owner we will have a clown show.....makes me real upset

Dre11

Reaction score
good coaches will let the buck stop with them

it does but that still doesn't mean its on them. they'll get blame and fall on the sword, still doesn't change anything. if a friend of mine committ a crime and I take the blame , the culprit is still out there to commit another one.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s ok to agree to disagree my friend. I think you’ve made your views clear. I just disagree. After a while, it’s just arguing. Salud.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's going to be fun reading this board in 3 years when it sinks it that Nolan was just a poor hire. Not only will his system be blah, he's going to spread his influence into player acquisitions, which I suspect will be really awesome. LOL.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You can easily tell on a play who has contain and who doesn't. D law is a habitual offender of crashing inside. And jaylon is always. and I mean always in the wrong gap. Or getting absolutely blown out of it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
What did Bart Scott say about Nolan's defenses rankings BEFORE he got to Dallas? I'm betting not much, because it would destroy his false narrative.

This goof has been trying to attack the Cowboys every chance he gets for years. He's a wannabe Shannon Sharpe and Screamin' A Smith.

Besides his 3 years at the falcons nolan was the dc at 4 other teams. His defense improved always during his stays.

People these days always talk about his falcons stint to prove a point. They dont mention the other jobs he had. They also dont mention that the falcons before and after nolan were always known for their bad defense because they dont value defense at all.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
You can easily tell on a play who has contain and who doesn't. D law is a habitual offender of crashing inside. And jaylon is always. and I mean always in the wrong gap. Or getting absolutely blown out of it.

Its killing me!

I see our DEs again and again and again losing contain. Griffin and DFlaw are prime examples. DFlaw seem to just not care at all.

Like one ex player said these days: dFlaw is the prime example for a player who constantly does things wrong but gets away with a lucky big play here and there. Now the system changed and asks for players who stick to their duty and it shows who really knows how to fullfil it.

There is a reason dFlaw asked to ease the playbook.

I also do not understand all the hate for Poe. I think he is doing his job. He constantly takes on double teams and teams are running away from his side.

Its our end who let the play bounce away from our tackles.

I dont wanna even start to talk about smith. This guy is just bad.