Mazi Smith isn't that great

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
:laugh: Smith looked exactly like what his detractors were concerned about. Slow, fat, unable to get off blocks. Some plays, he was getting blown out by guys who won't be on a roster. Maybe we'll get some more training camp clips of him running over Josh Ball.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:laugh: Smith looked exactly like what his detractors were concerned about. Slow, fat, unable to get off blocks. Some plays, he was getting blown out by guys who won't be on a roster. Maybe we'll get some more training camp clips of him running over Josh Ball.
OMG

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tried telling folks if he didn't get 5 sacks last night night the naysayers would be out.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Ahhh I remember Parsons first preseason game and the same posters were saying he looked lost and not ready for the NFL

kskboys

Reaction score
This tape's been posted a lot before.

At 5:30 on this one, the Frogs go fire-on-fire and power run straight at Mazi 3 times. They convert all 3 plays, including a score.

I'm too lazy to look for time stamps, but Avila bullies him on the next drive too.

And there are a lot of NFL guards better than Steve Avila. Most are even stronger, with years of NFL weight training and NFL 'vitamins'.

I don't expect a lot of return for Mazi before year 3, cause that's just the nature of the NT beast. Derrick Brown and Vita Vea were two of the most absurdly strong college DTs I've ever seen, and both were very average as rookies. Dexter Lawrence didn't break out until year 4. If you want an NT to produce this season, you sign a vet who's already gone up his learning curve.

And even with time, I don't really know if Mazi's ever going to be more than average. Good NTs disrupt plays in the backfield... he basically does nothing but Greco wrestle guards.
Which would still be a huge upgrade over the matador NT's we've had before Hankins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerryrage

Reaction score
First guy through the wall always gets bloody. I'm the first on here to say he isn't that great and I stand by it reguardless of what anyone here says.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
This guy declares "victory" after 2 preseason games.

I did not think he could make himself look more foolish ....... I was wrong.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I tried telling folks if he didn't get 5 sacks last night night the naysayers would be out.
5 sacks against the Seahawks? LOL - at this point, we'll be lucky to get 5 sacks out of him over his entire career in Dallas. He's a bust.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Way too early to label the kid but everything I’ve seen and read this far about his preseason has indicated he’s not ready to make a big impact year 1.

Slow off the ball, getting moved and not offering much in pass rush.

It’s not overly surprising considering his scouting report but think he’ll likely be a rotational player year 1 with Hanks. Hopefully he can at least clean up the technique enough to be a steady run player.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
This entire draft class for Dallas seems bad. Mazi and Schoonmaker seem like huge busts. Please stay away from Michigan in the future.

cnuball21

Reaction score
This entire draft class for Dallas seems bad. Mazi and Schoonmaker seem like huge busts. Please stay away from Michigan in the future.
Probably too early to label the class but the fact our 1st and 2nd rounders are barely getting on the field is concerning…especially considering we reached on low value positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.