Mazi Smith slow off the snap

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I’d much rather have Hankins in there, but let’s be honest, Hankins is a below average player at best. The drop off won’t be that great

starfan1

Reaction score
I’d much rather have Hankins in there, but let’s be honest, Hankins is a below average player at best. The drop off won’t be that great
I disagree I don’t think Hankins is a pro bowler but I consider it a big drop off with Mazi

I really despise the 23 draft but it’s early

Fmart322

Reaction score
Some guys take time to develop, even 1st rd picks.
I just hope now that he's playing more he'll get better.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think he's confused about his keys and/or assignments but that's to be expected for a rookie.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Is Mazi Smith doing what the coaches are telling him to do? If there is a delay, is it part of the defense? Is he there only to play the run initially and then rush the passer after it is a known pass play? Do the LBs read the OL based on that slight delay?

There would be no reason for any football player on the DL to delay unless that is what the coaches want or the player is staying disciplined and reading certain keys.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gosh what can they do to speed that up. There’s some power and good stuff to work with there.

If he were at a red light and it turned green someone would honk at him from behind that’s how slow he is lol
If he doesn't have it now he'll never have it geez how long does it take to fix this season is almost over lol

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Gosh what can they do to speed that up. There’s some power and good stuff to work with there.

If he were at a red light and it turned green someone would honk at him from behind that’s how slow he is lol
I know, I noticed that too. its like one second passes before he moves his feet and that you are already behind.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Well, Mazi should get plenty reps to work on it. Funny thing is I don't recall seeing the Michigan DTs playing in the stance Mazi did in college maybe his slow get off caused for a coaching adjustment.

ghst187

Reaction score
Mazi was a massive waste of a pick for this year. We can only hope he gets better to the point he can actually be a contributor but I’m not confident he will ever even be as good as Hankins.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Not ready to say bust, but a deer in the headlights indeed. There were a couple of plays last night he was lined up wrong, but luckily we have the vets putting him in the right spot which is a start. He should never have been expected to be ready to start this year anyhow

Redline360

Reaction score
Granted it usually takes guys 2 maybe 3 seasons to get into a groove in that postion however I didn't think he was going to be this far behind. So slooooowww to move

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He's a bust
Not yet. Seldom can judge a player after one year, bust label takes at least two years, sometimes 3.

He's not doing well, that's for sure, but every player adjusts to the pro game differently, he may be one of the slow developers.

Give the kid a chance....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Love all of the self proclaimed scout / experts bashing players. Is he as slow as many say, or just piling on just to complain?
Because a few say so.
Just because Collinsworth mentioned a few plays. Chris needed something to dog Dallas about so he cherry picked a few plays.

visionary

Reaction score
Ive got news for those of you expecting Mazi to be ‘better’ the rest of the season. Rookies hit the ‘wall’ around week 12-13. If Mazi keeps playing ok, i’d take that. Without Hankins we are in BIG trouble

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Love all of the self proclaimed scout / experts bashing players. Is he as slow as many say, or just piling on just to complain?
Because a few say so.
Just because Collinsworth mentioned a few plays. Chris needed something to dog Dallas about so he cherry picked a few plays.
You’re just now hearing about how slow Mazi is off the snap?

Do you actually watch the games or just read Brad Sham’s weekly newsletters?

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re just now hearing about how slow off the snap.

Do you actually watch the games or just read Brad Sham’s weekly newsletters?
I can ask the same of you.

I am pretty sure I pay more attention to things that you do.
You are only here to question what others posts, or seems.