Mazi Smith slow off the snap

Mannix

Reaction score
I still haven't heard or read how long Hankins may be out....what is the latest???

1942willys

Reaction score
I still haven't heard or read how long Hankins may be out....what is the latest???
High Ankle strain is the latest I have heard. Two to three weeks depending on how bad it is. The good thing is its not so critical for a lineman; unlike with a back or WR when it really counts.

kumizi

Reaction score
Didnt Colinsworth say they had him rated as the worst run defender in the NFL?

PFF isn’t gospel but he’s definitely not been good.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Same thing Mazi showed on tape in college. I was hoping that could be blamed on a read-and-react contain defense at Michigan, but nope, he is just really slow.

erod

Reaction score
Heard this same stuff about Gallup, Tolbert, Biadasz, and a dozen others.

Mazi needs a full offseason. You know, like most rookies.

Cowboy fans.....sheesh.

Sydla

Reaction score
Schoonmaker may develop into a serviceable guy but I think in 2-3 years, we are going to look back at this draft and realize what a dud it was.

Cowboys will be scared to death to draft a DT early again. LOL.

Sydla

Reaction score
Heard this same stuff about Gallup, Tolbert, Biadasz, and a dozen others.

Mazi needs a full offseason. You know, like most rookies.

Cowboy fans.....sheesh.
Gallup had a pretty good rookie year for a rookie. 500 yards for a 3rd rounder is pretty good. Biadasz? He's barely serviceable and he was a later round pick.

Mazi is a first rounder. His expectations are much higher than a Gallup or Biadasz. Its not a good sign that he's been useless as a rookie. Doesn't mean his career is over but it does show that he needs A TON of development. The fact he's slow off the ball is a big concern. That's not something you can "teach" necessarily.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
There's been some improvement, although not as much as I would like. Fact of the matter is the defense shut out one of the best rushing attacks in the league in the second half. Mazi was a part of that. Let the kid develop some more before calling him a bust.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Gallup had a pretty good rookie year for a rookie. 500 yards for a 3rd rounder is pretty good. Biadasz? He's barely serviceable and he was a later round pick.

Mazi is a first rounder. His expectations are much higher than a Gallup or Biadasz. Its not a good sign that he's been useless as a rookie. Doesn't mean his career is over but it does show that he needs A TON of development. The fact he's slow off the ball is a big concern. That's not something you can "teach" necessarily.
How can that not be taught? You don't think rookies improve get off in the off-season? Man yall are wild

erod

Reaction score

Mazi was not a first rounder.

Only the top 12-15 players taken are truly worthy of that status. There's not spits difference between the end of the first round and the early part of the third round in terms of projection. Of course, they do get players wrong that are much better, or much worse, than their draft position.

Can we give the guy a season and a full offseason of proper training before we right him off? He's not a knucklehead like Taco, so I can be patient.