Mazi Smith slow off the snap

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
You watching the all-22?

I honestly can’t believe this continues to be an undercurrent here at the Zone as a label that is trying to be affixed to Smith.

Let’s see what happens next year. Or … if Hankins is out with his ankle, let’s see what happens next week.
Bro they highlighted him after a play he was stood up one on one and pushed out of the play. Aside from being noticeably slower off the snap, he’s just not productive enough

Kwyn

Reaction score
It's not a distraction it's the truth. Additionally, Hankins will miss some time. Clearly the state of Mazi's play is very important.
I’m thinking not so much. It’s like the never ending Schoon and Leupke threads.

Let’s hash out last years draft in the off season and not in our home stretch.

Hardline

Reaction score
I haven't given up on Mazi but I still draft T'Vondre Sweat in the 1st round. Sweat is everything you want Mazi to be with pass rushing skills,

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Even with Hankins, I still don't trust this defense to be able to stop the run consistently. Bell's too small, and Clark is not good enough.

So the Cowboys better still find ways to get a lead in these games, so that the opposing offense runs less and passes more. Else, in a tight game in the 4th quarter, I fear this team will just get pounded up the middle...and then they can't pressure like they want to.

The stripped fumbles were resourceful, but they call came after big plays by the Iggles. The Cowboys still give up a lot of yards. So they BETTER get turnovers, or just hold them to FGs. They did both tonight, and it was great.

But ultimately, the defense will have to be better...and in the next 2 games, on the road, against two fairly explosive offenses, we're going to find out just how good this defense can be. Quinn's philosophies will be put to the test over the next 2 weeks, and then a fairly hungry (and physical) Lions team will be coming to Dallas.

It's going to be 3 good tests for this defense, and I look forward to seeing it...to see where this defense stands at the end of December.

1 test down, 3 to go.

Go Cowboys!

:flagwave:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Even with Hankins, I still don't trust this defense to be able to stop the run consistently. Bell's too small, and Clark is not good enough.

So the Cowboys better still find ways to get a lead in these games, so that the opposing offense runs less and passes more. Else, in a tight game in the 4th quarter, I fear this team will just get pounded up the middle...and then they can't pressure like they want to.

The stripped fumbles were resourceful, but they call came after big plays by the Iggles. The Cowboys still give up a lot of yards. So they BETTER get turnovers, or just hold them to FGs. They did both tonight, and it was great.

But ultimately, the defense will have to be better...and in the next 2 games, on the road, against two fairly explosive offenses, we're going to find out just how good this defense can be. Quinn's philosophies will be put to the test over the next 2 weeks, and then a fairly hungry (and physical) Lions team will be coming to Dallas.

It's going to be 3 good tests for this defense, and I look forward to seeing it...to see where this defense stands at the end of December.

1 test down, 3 to go.

Go Cowboys!

:flagwave:
This is my concern against the 49ers in this year's playoffs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Gosh what can they do to speed that up. There’s some power and good stuff to work with there.

If he were at a red light and it turned green someone would honk at him from behind that’s how slow he is lol
Could it be his mental game? At this point I would like him to be offside once in a while.

sacase

Reaction score
That should be something fixable. There was one snap I saw where the guard was already out his stance and waiting for him like bruh, you gonna move? Mazi was still in his stance. It might be too big for him and he is thinking way too much. Nothing to get up in arms about right now, but it's an issue. Let's see what happens in the off season.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He’s had some peaks and valleys his rookie season which is normal. That said, he is noticeably a tick or two slower off the snap than everyone else. He also gets caught up in 1v1 battles too often and gets taken right out of plays. One thing I called out even before the draft about him was that he had trouble locating the ball. I’ve seen way too many plays where the play has gone past him and he’s still engaged with his guy looking for the ball carrier. Way too early to call him a bust but I get some of the disappointment because he was expected to make an impact against the run.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
I mean , why on earth, after the biggest game of the year, is there a Mazi Smith slow thread?

It’s a distraction.
  • Because our big 1T went out with a high ankle sprain and might be out a couple weeks.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’m sayin if you watch he’s just the last guy of all 11 to move. Probably a good 2-3 seconds after everyone else
Ok, but is he getting bullied, controlled and dominated. Yr1 is continue doing what you did in college, 1NT and block space. The offseason is where the development begins (which if he's to turn into a factor in pass-rush then the 'get-off' may be more of a concern).