Mazi Smith's performance

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Another Will McClay Stinker from the same school.
Hmmmmmm leads one to wonder what is sooooooooooooooooo sweet to Will about Michigan???
Mazi should be cut now. He is a waste of a roster spot.
Will makes enough good to great picks that I think he deserves the grace to miss one.... ya know?

Havic

Reaction score
This was a questionable pick to begin with and I wonder how much Quinn and his defensive system was the driving force behind the pick.
Was a McClay pick and I remember watching the video of him telling the Jones he was a special talent in the warroom

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will makes enough good to great picks that I think he deserves the grace to miss one.... ya know?
Parsons fell to us because a CB wasn't there.
Lamb
Smith G
Diggs and Bland.
OK.
Now let's talk about all the wasted # 2 picks the last 8 seasons and the bust of LB # 55 and Mazi and Taco which are 3 # 1 picks.
He would have been fired by any other NFL team by now.

ferrispata

Reaction score
Dare someone say it, WE MADE A MISTAKE!!
"Dare someone"? It seems that's what most people continuously post...about most of our players. Not saying I disagree, but let's see how this year goes before passing definitive judgement I think.

ghst187

Reaction score
Worst part is we could’ve had Hankins back for about what Mazi’s rookie contract is paying…at least Hankins could play. Unreal how insistent they are at being cheap at dt.

starfan1

Reaction score
I mean people are always gonna write Mazi off to support their opinion that the Cowboys messed up. This is the guys second year. He deserves some grace.
I mean i get what your saying but 1st rounders should have a higher impact. DT takes longer to develop but his get off and to my surprise his strength seems to be an issue something i don't will get good enough. I hate that entire draft from last year except the 3rd rounder.

Aven8

Reaction score
I thought he was decent. Rogers was actually the bright spot here.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Another Will McClay Stinker from the same school.
Hmmmmmm leads one to wonder what is sooooooooooooooooo sweet to Will about Michigan???
Mazi should be cut now. He is a waste of a roster spot.
Jerry has final say so I’d split the blame 50/50.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Slow and got blown off the ball consistently
no. Thats not how it was. I am disappointed too, but I saw a guy who was much better in that game. DT takes a long time to develop many times. Not everyone can walk into the NFL and be Suh,Donald or Leon Lett. Give the kid time. I still think we will add a guy at DT after teams begin the roster trimming.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This was a questionable pick to begin with and I wonder how much Quinn and his defensive system was the driving force behind the pick.
most picks are questionable. They are dart throws. Educated guesses if you will. Sometimes teams get it wrong. But lets give the guy time. I saw high effort in the game and times where he shed blockers and hustled, made stops. He isnt sexy, but he did his job. He ate space and stopped runs. When Huggins came in there he was awful. We were gashed up the gut. Davis was pretty decent too. Hes much bigger than I thought. I think we will be ok at DT if we can sign a young vet for the rotation after cuts. I would luv John Ridgeway back. I hope the commodes cut him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Serious question.......how can you evaluate him without knowing his assignments? I read comments of him getting pushed backward but that's a pretty small sampling. What about the plays when he's NOT pushed backward and freeing his LBers to make plays? In other words. I still think it is too early to make a call on this kid. Also, keep in mind, that he is playing a position that doesn't require stats to make an impact.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Quinn knew he was leaving to go coach a division rival, so he screwed up that particular pick on purpose. LOL What a conspiracy theory. Just being scarcastic folks.

Sydla

Reaction score
I thought he looked OK. I like how he sniffed out that screen.

I think Zimmer has his work cut out for him along the DL. Beyond Lawrence and Parsons, I have concerns along the entire DL. DT looks weak at this point which means Mazi has to get better and be an impact guy. Further, the backup DEs look suspect to me. Fehoko looks so slow out there. First game for Kneeland so we shall see.

Zimmer is gonna have to squeeze a lot of blood from this stone.

Creeper

Reaction score
He certainly does not look like a 1st round pick, but for me the jury is still out. It look is to me like in Zimmer's defense, the DTs are there to occupy blockers and allow the LBs to be more active. It looked to me like Mazi was doing that pretty well on some plays. He still gets off a little to slow on some plays but other times he seems to be improved in that area. I want to see more of that.

Overall, I thought the Cowboys DL was unimpressive. Not much pass rush at all, against the Rams backups and scrubs. Remember, guys like Mazi, Carl Davis, and some of the other guys are going to be in the DT rotation.

Praxit

Reaction score
Worst part is we could’ve had Hankins back for about what Mazi’s rookie contract is paying…at least Hankins could play. Unreal how insistent they are at being cheap at dt.
....they put faith in the guy. Thats why they rid of Hanky. They gambled, hopefully Mazi at least gets to par level.

Meaning basically doing the job, nothing more or spectacular.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Mazi actually looked like what he currently is. An incredibly talented player (physically) who has someTechnique issues and recognition needs
To improve.

On plays where his technique was good and he recognized what was happening. He made plays.

However it was very inconsistent because his technique got bad on some plays. Causing him to get moved and washed out by the OL.

Mazi showed all the physical talent he has. He also showed improvement from last year.

The question now is. Can he get consistent with proper technique.

This is the NFL. Even backup players will dominate other players if their technique is poor.

blueblood70

Reaction score
he doesn't look like a starter but you do realize they just change the defense.. Last year they had him doing some odd things the alleged which we still don't know weight gain loss blah blah blah

from my point of view I believe he can be a backup a good role player here I don't know if he's a starter I think some of those other big dudes came in looked pretty good I mean there's something to work with I think Zimmer is gonna have to pick which big fatty is the best and start him and then they just rotate a lot try to keep these guys fresh...

So right now I'm saying that he it's hit and miss he's like a backup he has some really good plays and then he has some where he just gets shoved out of the way....TBD INC grade.