McC: If Witten wants to coach, he's best to start at the bottom rung

_sturt_

Reaction score
2020-01-29_2000.png

Per Blogging the Boys

_sturt_

Reaction score
Then why did he hire Kellen Moore as his OC? He was given a shortcut.

Not really. Not by McC, anyhow. He got a shortcut to QB coach... by the previous staff. And then he got a shortcut to OC... by the previous staff.

No inconsistency on McC's part.

Moore was hired to the same position he already had... to do some, probably not all, of the job he already did... evidently McC sees some promise there.

(And btw, don't take that to mean that I'm an adoring McC follower already, because I'm staying neutral.)

_sturt_

Reaction score
Logical, but sounds fairly condescending... I’m willing to bet “blogging the boys” bungled that quote. And there’s always the possibility that Witten is a savant type who could coach right away, however unlikely.

Actually, they did bungle, but it was probably just the word latter.

The sentences are pretty coherent in one single theme... so if erroneous, it's a matter of not just one but several erroneously stated words.

Bachman05

Reaction score
Exactly how does one climb the latter , I think the person who wrote this should do the same.

But overall I totally agree with the assessment and you need to work your way up.

Slow pony sturt got to it

Kwyn

Reaction score
Logical, but sounds fairly condescending... I’m willing to bet “blogging the boys” bungled that quote. And there’s always the possibility that Witten is a savant type who could coach right away, however unlikely.
No offense to the guy but Witten has never seemed like a “savant type” to me. He had great physical talent and worked his tail off. More of a grinder really.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No offense to the guy but Witten has never seemed like a “savant type” to me. He had great physical talent and worked his tail off. More of a grinder really.

There are a lot of players who you can tell when they are playing that they will make good coaches. I agree that I'm not sure Witten is one of those. I haven't really seen over the years where he's been coaching up the other tight ends as a player, sharing with them the nuances of the position that he's mastered. I don't know if that's because he didn't want to (which I'd have a hard time believing since he's a team player) or he doesn't know how to teach.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Damn he must not think much of Witten as a coach right now. He said quality control guy...not even a position coach or assistant position coach :laugh:
Has nothing to do with how well he would think Witten would do as a TE coach. As with any job the way to become the best is to start out at the bottom. You not only learn to coach but you learn how the organization operates. The only way to be successful quickly is know everything there is about about not only your position but every position. And most importantly you will garner respect from not only upper management but your peers and subordinates.