McC: If Witten wants to coach, he's best to start at the bottom rung

Verdict

Reaction score
There are a lot of players who you can tell when they are playing that they will make good coaches. I agree that I'm not sure Witten is one of those. I haven't really seen over the years where he's been coaching up the other tight ends as a player, sharing with them the nuances of the position that he's mastered. I don't know if that's because he didn't want to (which I'd have a hard time believing since he's a team player) or he doesn't know how to teach.

Witten has enjoyed a hall of fame type of career. But because of that I think people are looking at Witten with rose colored glasses.

Witten has sucked horribly at his job (for the most part) pretty much the entire last 4 years. He has been an ineffective blocker and a liability of offense.

Additionally he has done nothing but “pad stats”. Jason Garrett needed someone with some credibility backing him in the locker room and Witten was one of those guys. I think that’s one of the reasons the team let him cling on and pad his stats.

Witten was allowed to “hog” reps that should have gone to Jarwin, or pretty much anyone else’s really. That’s NOT being a team player. That’s being a ****** bag.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Witten has enjoyed a hall of fame type of career. But because of that I think people are looking at Witten with rose colored glasses.

Witten has sucked horribly at his job (for the most part) pretty much the entire last 4 years. He has been an ineffective blocker and a liability of offense.

Additionally he has done nothing but “pad stats”. Jason Garrett needed someone with some credibility backing him in the locker room and Witten was one of those guys. I think that’s one of the reasons the team let him cling on and pad his stats.

Witten was allowed to “hog” reps that should have gone to Jarwin, or pretty much anyone else’s really. That’s NOT being a team player. That’s being a ****** bag.

I do not agree with this jaded opinion. You are assuming that Jarwin could have handled the role that Witten played when that assumption is far from proven.

Witten finished eighth among tight ends in receptions, which means he was a consistent outlet for Prescott. Prescott also was sacked 33 fewer times than the one season we didn't have Witten. I cannot say how much having Witten contributed to that improvement, but having somewhere to dump the ball when under pressure makes a difference as does having someone who knows who to block even if he's not as good at it as he once was. Dak did not do as much double-clutching this year looking for an open receiver.

Witten is not near what he was in the prime of his career, but I can't say there weren't reasons he was in the game far more than Jarwin or Schultz. Maybe that argument can be made after this season. We'll see.
You say that Witten hogged the reps, but there's nothing to indicate that he didn't receive those reps because the coaches felt he provided more of what the offense needed.

My hope is that we replace Witten with someone who is closer to what he was in his prime because we do need improvement from the position. Maybe McCarthy's plan for the position in the West Coast scheme will better utilize what he does best, allowing him to focus on being a receiver who attacks the seams rather than serves as an outlet. Maybe he'll implement the fullback to absorb the blocking responsibilities that Garrett's scheme put on the tight end.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then why did he hire Kellen Moore as his OC? He was given a shortcut.
Because Moore isn't just getting into coaching the way Witten would be, so even if McCarthy thinks it would have been better for Moore to start lower than he did, that ship has sailed, and he is judging Moore based on where he feels Moore is today.

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s been an on going problem here and it’s nice to see him say it. Same applied to Garret who never properly worked himself up a ladder. That resume and experience and that time spent with different coaches and different philosophies means a lot.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
huh...

Glazer spoke about the Cowboys hiring process and noted that the team actually initially wanted to hire a defensive coach.

“Originally the Cowboys owners wanted a defensive coach because they wanted to keep the offensive staff. I’m like, don’t do that guys. And I talk to the Joneses about it. I said don’t do that. You get yourself in trouble that way. Get a leader of men. Get a guy who’s going to formulate the attitude of your team. This is who you want.”

Wait, so is Jay Glazer claiming he advised Jerry and Stephen on how to conduct their coaching search?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Logical, but sounds fairly condescending... I’m willing to bet “blogging the boys” bungled that quote. And there’s always the possibility that Witten is a savant type who could coach right away, however unlikely.

That's exactly the impression that I got. That Blogging incorrectly attributed the quote to McCarthy when everything else had been coming from Jay Glazer. That reads like a Glazer quote, not one from McCarthy.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
That's exactly the impression that I got. That Blogging incorrectly attributed the quote to McCarthy when everything else had been coming from Jay Glazer. That reads like a Glazer quote, not one from McCarthy.
Right. I can’t picture McCarthy saying “I think he thinks that he knows everything”, after one sit down, as if McCarthy was his Dad or something. McCarthy would be more respectful than that.

Verdict

Reaction score
I do not agree with this jaded opinion. You are assuming that Jarwin could have handled the role that Witten played when that assumption is far from proven.

Witten finished eighth among tight ends in receptions, which means he was a consistent outlet for Prescott. Prescott also was sacked 33 fewer times than the one season we didn't have Witten. I cannot say how much having Witten contributed to that improvement, but having somewhere to dump the ball when under pressure makes a difference as does having someone who knows who to block even if he's not as good at it as he once was. Dak did not do as much double-clutching this year looking for an open receiver.

Witten is not near what he was in the prime of his career, but I can't say there weren't reasons he was in the game far more than Jarwin or Schultz. Maybe that argument can be made after this season. We'll see.
You say that Witten hogged the reps, but there's nothing to indicate that he didn't receive those reps because the coaches felt he provided more of what the offense needed.

My hope is that we replace Witten with someone who is closer to what he was in his prime because we do need improvement from the position. Maybe McCarthy's plan for the position in the West Coast scheme will better utilize what he does best, allowing him to focus on being a receiver who attacks the seams rather than serves as an outlet. Maybe he'll implement the fullback to absorb the blocking responsibilities that Garrett's scheme put on the tight end.

I respect you as a poster and I respect your opinion. I simply do not draw the same conclusions you do.

Witten was a complete liability in the blocking department, living solely off of his reputation. Witten DID catch a lot of balls. One might draw the conclusion that it was a good thing.

I believe defenses WANTED Witten to get targets because he had literally ZERO run after the catch ability. He would rank only slightly higher than a man in a wheel chair in the run after catch department and if the guy had a reasonably fast wheel chair he may not rank above him either.

If Witten catches a 3 yard pass and falls down when it is 3rd and 8 that is a WIN for the defense.

Im not sure how Jarwin can prove anything without getting on the field. In his limited opportunities he looks explosive and “went off” a couple of games which cannot really needs said for Witten.

Witten is an all time great but to say his time has passed (at least as we used him) has come and gone. The Hoodie could use Witten on first and goal probably to great effect. But to use him as an in-line blocker OR to move the sticks on 3rd and long or to play him as an every down player is beyond absurd.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If he wants to start a coaching career in the pros, then this is exactly right. I'm sure he could be a TEs coach in college right now. I would think if he wanted to be a coach on the Cowboys staff, it would have to be as a quality control guy/assistant TEs coach. I would allow him to assist the TEs coach but I would also give him other duties that were time consuming near the bottom rung of the staff. That would be to make certain he was truly motivated to do what it takes to become a coach. A guy with his career could quickly move up the coaching ladder if he proves he's willing to put in the time and proves he is actually capable. If he balks at that process and want a high level job with no experience, then I'd let him try that out somewhere else.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I respect you as a poster and I respect your opinion. I simply do not draw the same conclusions you do.

Witten was a complete liability in the blocking department, living solely off of his reputation. Witten DID catch a lot of balls. One might draw the conclusion that it was a good thing.

I believe defenses WANTED Witten to get targets because he had literally ZERO run after the catch ability. He would rank only slightly higher than a man in a wheel chair in the run after catch department and if the guy had a reasonably fast wheel chair he may not rank above him either.

If Witten catches a 3 yard pass and falls down when it is 3rd and 8 that is a WIN for the defense.

Im not sure how Jarwin can prove anything without getting on the field. In his limited opportunities he looks explosive and “went off” a couple of games which cannot really needs said for Witten.

Witten is an all time great but to say his time has passed (at least as we used him) has come and gone. The Hoodie could use Witten on first and goal probably to great effect. But to use him as an in-line blocker OR to move the sticks on 3rd and long or to play him as an every down player is beyond absurd.

Witten had the lowest number of 20-plus-yard catches and the lowest first-down percentage of any tight end in the top 10 in catches last year, so that supports your point. I am certainly for replacing him and think it is time. Whether Jarwin is the player to do that remains to be seen.

I just have trouble blaming Witten for being on the field as much as he was last year. If he was out there simply because of who he is then that's on the coaches. I believe it was more than that. Our tight end blocking the previous year was atrocious and Dak held the ball too long in the pocket. I believe Witten was out there to help with both of those things.

Jarwin is more of a downfield threat, but if he can't consistently get on the right man and at least hold him up and he doesn't do the little things to uncover quickly when needed to present himself as an outlet for the quarterback then he isn't anything more than a No. 2. Now, I agree that we as fans do not really know if that is the case because Jarwin hasn't been given very many opportunities to be the No. 1 and prove himself.

However, I believe the failings of Jarwin, Schultz and the other tight ends in the areas that I mentioned are why Witten was brought back and why he received so many snaps. I'm interested in seeing what McCarthy is going to do with the position as opposed to Garrett's requirements for it.