McC: If Witten wants to coach, he's best to start at the bottom rung

Tommy

Reaction score
This is amazing advice.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why NFL players do not turn to the media and Internet forums more often for advice.

I have not doubt CowboysZone could teach him so many things about the daily grind of coaching in the NFL.

Valkyr

Reaction score
huh...

Glazer spoke about the Cowboys hiring process and noted that the team actually initially wanted to hire a defensive coach.

“Originally the Cowboys owners wanted a defensive coach because they wanted to keep the offensive staff. I’m like, don’t do that guys. And I talk to the Joneses about it. I said don’t do that. You get yourself in trouble that way. Get a leader of men. Get a guy who’s going to formulate the attitude of your team. This is who you want.”
Can you imagine having to be told this?

Blake

Reaction score
Do you don’t think he’s a HOF player?
Winning is a team thing
Not many position players determine very many wins

He's a Garret lackey and company man who supressed young talent on the roster since he felt entitled to start even though he was holding the team back because he's too old to compete at this level anymore. He is instilled with the same soft, loser mindset that has held this team back for decades. HOF sure, but not a winner. Don't respect him much these days and glad someone is putting him in his place.

Verdict

Reaction score
Witten had the lowest number of 20-plus-yard catches and the lowest first-down percentage of any tight end in the top 10 in catches last year, so that supports your point. I am certainly for replacing him and think it is time. Whether Jarwin is the player to do that remains to be seen.

I just have trouble blaming Witten for being on the field as much as he was last year. If he was out there simply because of who he is then that's on the coaches. I believe it was more than that. Our tight end blocking the previous year was atrocious and Dak held the ball too long in the pocket. I believe Witten was out there to help with both of those things.

Jarwin is more of a downfield threat, but if he can't consistently get on the right man and at least hold him up and he doesn't do the little things to uncover quickly when needed to present himself as an outlet for the quarterback then he isn't anything more than a No. 2. Now, I agree that we as fans do not really know if that is the case because Jarwin hasn't been given very many opportunities to be the No. 1 and prove himself.

However, I believe the failings of Jarwin, Schultz and the other tight ends in the areas that I mentioned are why Witten was brought back and why he received so many snaps. I'm interested in seeing what McCarthy is going to do with the position as opposed to Garrett's requirements for it.

I think any discussion that promotes Witten as a blocker loses any credibility as a reason to play him over anyone. He used to be able to block. All I can tell you is that Witten doesn’t even really seem to make the effort to block anymore.

Jarwin has had explosive plays. That’s sure not the end all, of course, but when was the last time Witten burned anyone? He can’t run. We know Jarwin can at least do that.

Yes. It sure is on Garrett. I knew the whole we are going to use him sparingly stuff would go right out the window as soon as he got back.

But that’s also on Witten wanting to play every down and pad stats. Witten has to know he has zero RAC now. Witten has to know he’s consistently short of the sticks on 3rd and long.

Witten is one of my all time favorite Cowboys but he has tarnished his image in my eyes. He is a me first type of player and has been for the last 4 years or so.

Last edited: