McCarthy: 9 seconds on the clock

Plankton

Reaction score
If the Cowboys were playing an opponent that could actually move the ball and score, then the strategy may have been different. I truly think that this was all based on the fact that the Giants offense couldn't score a touchdown in a 7 on 7 drill.

Nexx

Reaction score
the way Dak is playing I do not blame him for not trying another play and kicking the FG

CWR

Reaction score
And Dak isn't quite playing super. That's his take on his QB.

I also would've tried the endzone, on one of those "only my player has a chance" play.

I'd say most teams would also.

Agreed, but not sure on most teams. There are a lot of conservative coaches in the league.

Sydla

Reaction score
Because if he called the time out so they could run one more play they would have no time outs left to call if Dak was sacked in bounds.

You have to trust that your $40 million, veteran QB knows the situation and gets the ball out before even getting closed to sack. In that situation, you call TO with 9-10 seconds left. You call a quick decision type play. Dak has to take his drop and make a quick throw. He can't run around and then try to make a play. One read, throw it or throw it away. You then have 3-4 seconds left.

If you trust your QB, you call TO there. In fact, what do you think GB would have done in that situation? LaFleuer likely would have called TO and given Rodgers one more shot because he trusts Rodgers to be smart there.

Mannix

Reaction score
It was just another in a long list of times they mismanaged the clock before halftime.

No reason not to call a timeout and try a fade to Gallup in the corner of the endzone.
You were doing real good until you called for a fade pattern

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was not doing good and our QB is not confident. I was happy with the 3 pts with a 12 point lead at half against a sorry *** giants team with 0 offense.
What a way to think. Imagine living this way, keep your mask on pal.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Was listening to a sound bite of McCarthy being directly questioned why he didn’t call a time out with 9-10 seconds left on the clock at the 8-yard line before the half.

Dak was staring at the sideline gesturing for the time out but never got the okay to do so.

Nine seconds is plenty of time to run a pass play into the endzone.

McCarthy’s explanation was “we wanted the three points.”

This is just another example of McCarthy being a mental midget with clock management. This was his reputation in Green Bay and we’ve seen it play out time after time this season.

Have you watched this offense lately, I’m With MM. I take the FG and go to the half. Do not trust DAK or KM anymore. They are more likely to screw something up

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Was listening to a sound bite of McCarthy being directly questioned why he didn’t call a time out with 9-10 seconds left on the clock at the 8-yard line before the half.

Dak was staring at the sideline gesturing for the time out but never got the okay to do so.

This is just another example of McCarthy being a mental midget with clock management. This was his reputation in Green Bay and we’ve seen it play out time after time this season.
There should have been a timeout called since the Boys have one of the poorest kickers in the league.

Beaker42

Reaction score
i understand the argument but i have 0 issue with him not calling the timeout. why get greedy and risk the 3 points? your defense is playing lights out, don’t give them any life going into half.
Playing for 3 is a gutless way to look at things given how we were clamped down on them. He’s gutless. He doesn’t know when to go for it and when not to.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

can’t disagree.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was not doing good and our QB is not confident. I was happy with the 3 pts with a 12 point lead at half against a sorry *** giants team with 0 offense.
We have a 40,000,000 QB....best trio of WR's in the NFL....Zeke can block/catch...McG can block...trustworthy TE similar to ours in the past... If we are worried about picks, sacks, and Dak not being able to throw a ball into the stands if needed, then we have more issues that any other team in the NFL. I cannot see any other team that is 10-4 in the league that would have done the same thing unless it was in OT for a win. If we take MM for his word, the reason why we kicked is he has not faith in Dak. This friends is a scary thought.

And oh, our kicker can't hit an extra point or chip shot for his life. Dak was looking totally confused on that play

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I cant blame MM , he wanted to go to the locker rooms , KM playcalling at the endzone is embarrassing .

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with McCarthy choice of running it down to 3 sec and taking the FG. Myself I would have ran 1 more play to attempt a TD then take the 3 if we did not get it. However was not upset with his call. Because I may have gone a different rout does not make McCarthy wrong and me right.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am always amused by people that fixate on clock management. They're the ones wringing their hands as halves run down deluding themselves that they could do the coaches job, screaming at the TV what they think should be done.

In the meantime, we have the best point differential in the NFC, top 3 leaguewide, and are already a lock for the playoffs.

I think MM is doing a fantastic job this season.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Why would a sack preclude a FG?

Does this hypothetical involve Dak running back to the 40 yard line?

We had the lead, the defense was playing well. McCarthy felt we could get 3 points with certainty and pad the lead. Keeping Dak a little confused and wondering bothered me more.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I've had problems with McCarthy's time management but this wasn't an issue.

Dak may have confidence in himself, but McCarthy is just keeping it real. Low scoring TD game, Big Mike knew it, go for the FG, let the defense win it.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I've had problems with McCarthy's time management but this wasn't an issue.

Dak may have confidence in himself, but McCarthy is just keeping it real. Low scoring TD game, Big Mike knew it, go for the FG, let the defense win it.

lol

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
At the time I was livid that we didn’t call a TO and run another play. In retrospect, we were just playing it safe knowing NY wasn’t going to score much at all. I’d still want to run another play, but I can understand the thinking. The Giants just weren’t going to beat us and the staff knew it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
MM actually says he WANTED the 3 pts so he meant to run down the clock instead of taking shot at TD.

He called it an O-Zone Situation.

Greeny and his crew absolutely tore him a new one for that remark.

None of the former coaches have ever heard of anything like it.