McCarthy: 9 seconds on the clock

Swagger

Reaction score
I don’t defend his logic and thinking about this ever.

IMO though, I feel they were just playing cautious against inferior teams. He knew the Giants wouldn’t score
Surely it should be the opposite decision because they playing inferior opposition with a poor offense including a terrible QB?
Plus it presented good practice for Prescott to be faced with that type of situation in the play offs knowing he can't take a sack at all costs.

Swagger

Reaction score
So they should play cautiously against an inferior team that can’t score while our defense is playing lights out ? Wow. So when do they not play cautiously? Lol. That was exactly the time to try something to get experience where you can come back from a mistake against the Giants. Now someday they will be forced to try it against a Green Bay or Tampa Bay or Rams with a lot more on the line. The coach went for the FG cause they were scared to make a mistake.
I made a similar point but in a less impressive way than yourself. I completely agree.

ghst187

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was not doing good and our QB is not confident. I was happy with the 3 pts with a 12 point lead at half against a sorry *** giants team with 0 offense.

I normally think Mike is a moron esp with game and clock management but I actually agreed with the decision at the end of the half to take the gimme 3

CWR

Reaction score
If Dak can't avoid a sack by throwing it out of the back of the endzone, then has no business being our QB....in that same situation, Rodgers would have called the timeout on his own....and if pressured, would get rid of the ball 100 times out of 100.

Dak isn't the only factor. Pretty sure false start or another penalty before the snap takes 10 seconds off the clock. Not sure about intentional grounding but that's another possibility.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I'd give Green Bay about a 50/50 shot of scoring a TD....Rodgers might have gotten 2 plays off with 9 seconds

Yes but again dak isn’t rodgers. There is about 4-5 qbs I trust to throw a dart for a touchdown in that situation. I’m not sure dak is one of them.

even for a guy like rodgers it’s 50-50. I get taking a chance but then there is also a chance at a turnover.

also the game flow and team your playing should have some bearing on the call. We just gotta. Turnover… giants can’t move the ball. Take the 3. If we’re playing the packers maybe McCarthy does it differently

Redline360

Reaction score
I dont know but to not go for one more play speaks volumes. I already know MM sucks at clock management but it also annoys me Dak needs to look for conformation. A 40m quarterback shouldn't need to look to the sideline. It's the giants....perfect opportunity for dak to get back on track. Sometimes all it takes is something like that

1) MM is inept
2) He doesn't trust his 40m quarterback

That simple in my book plus the kicking situation only makes going for one more try worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

Verdict

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was not doing good and our QB is not confident. I was happy with the 3 pts with a 12 point lead at half against a sorry *** giants team with 0 offense.
If we were playing against a better team, the decision may have been different. Three points could have been the difference in winning and losing that game.

The Giants were not likely to light up the scoreboard, but it was slightly more likely for Dak and Co. to put up a goose egg in the second half. That was probably not a bad decision by MM under the circumstances.

If Dak and Co put up zero in the second half and we lost by one or two point some would be complaining we screwed up and didn’t take the 3 points which would be meritorious.

We had four turnovers go our way and still only managed to score 21 points on the Giants. So any points were at a premium.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Yeah I was pretty pissed off. That said you could call time out and have it go sideways and lose 3. I personally thought it was a risk worth taking.

I've also noticed MM isn't as aggressive on offense now that the defense is balling and the offense stalling. We aren't going for it as much as before.
And Dak isn't quite playing super. That's his take on his QB.

I also would've tried the endzone, on one of those "only my player has a chance" play.

I'd say most teams would also.

Reactions: CWR

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Was listening to a sound bite of McCarthy being directly questioned why he didn’t call a time out with 9-10 seconds left on the clock at the 8-yard line before the half.

Dak was staring at the sideline gesturing for the time out but never got the okay to do so.

Nine seconds is plenty of time to run a pass play into the endzone.

McCarthy’s explanation was “we wanted the three points.”

This is just another example of McCarthy being a mental midget with clock management. This was his reputation in Green Bay and we’ve seen it play out time after time this season.
Dak should have done it anyway.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

I don't know if Dak has no confidence or not, but one thing is for sure is you are not helping his confidence by settling for the FG instead of giving him a chance to make a play.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
It looked like Giants were ok giving the short passes and on the last play, they were protecting the endzone which allowed the short completion.

Fg was the right call.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Clock management is atrocious. Part of it is McCarthy is an untalented clown, and worse, he - understandably - doesn't trust his hack QB.

Creeper

Reaction score
Why would a sack preclude a FG?

Does this hypothetical involve Dak running back to the 40 yard line?

Because if he called the time out so they could run one more play they would have no time outs left to call if Dak was sacked in bounds.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Dak didn't have more than 5 good plays throughout the whole game (just finished watching the condensed replay), MM still has to play it safe even vs bad teams. I'm okay with that decision. Mr. Z missed two PATs once again but he has been consistent for FGs for the last couple of games so MM figured three safe points were better than Daks chances bro make it to the endzone right there. As sad as it sounds, it was the reasonable decision to make.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He flat does not trust Dak to throw a touchdown in the red zone that's what it boils down to.
Any other excuse makes him a complete moron

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dak didn't have more than 5 good plays throughout the whole game (just finished watching the condensed replay), MM still has to play it safe even vs bad teams. I'm okay with that decision. Mr. Z missed two PATs once again but he has been consistent for FGs for the last couple of games so MM figured three safe points were better than Daks chances bro make it to the endzone right there. As sad as it sounds, it was the reasonable decision to make.

As long as we don't try any over 50, Zuerlein is pretty good. His days of kicking 50-plus-yarders seem to be over. It is a low-percentage kick for him, so I'd rather see us punt unless it's an end-of-the-half or end-of-the-game situation.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Then you must have missed all the dropped passes.

MM clock management was trash even when offense was unstoppable.

This is nothing new.