McCarthy: 9 seconds on the clock

Mannix

Reaction score
I don’t understand why people had a problem with the no timeout. We were at around the 10 I believe?

the likelihood of you scoring there with the defense play in the end zone is unlikely.

I like taking the 3 there
I'd give Green Bay about a 50/50 shot of scoring a TD....Rodgers might have gotten 2 plays off with 9 seconds

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don’t understand why people had a problem with the no timeout. We were at around the 10 I believe?

the likelihood of you scoring there with the defense play in the end zone is unlikely.

I like taking the 3 there
I take the 3 as well - after I HAVE RUN A PLAY INTO THE END ZONE first!

It is like kicking a FG on 3rd down in the middle of a qtr!

Mannix

Reaction score
I didn’t like it either, but in hindsight, it was fine.

Same reason we didn’t really test their secondary deep much. It just wasn’t necessary against this team on this day.

As others have pointed out, a lot can go wrong with 1 more offensive snap. So McCarthy took the 3 points and the 12-point lead going into the half.

Yes, with Dak.....any smart QB scans the endszone for a couple seconds, and if nothings there, fires the ball out of the endzone...then kicks the FG. Simple Simon.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was not doing good and our QB is not confident. I was happy with the 3 pts with a 12 point lead at half against a sorry *** giants team with 0 offense.
That line of thinking is gonna work out well against the packers

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t like it either, but in hindsight, it was fine.

Same reason we didn’t really test their secondary deep much. It just wasn’t necessary against this team on this day.

As others have pointed out, a lot can go wrong with 1 more offensive snap. So McCarthy took the 3 points and the 12-point lead going into the half.

I wonder if those that complained about not going deep. There was a wind to consider, I believe it was 16 MPH at one point with gusts going over that.
So depended the direction of the wind, and if it was a cross wind or with the length of the field.

So if a long pass, that ball could sail. So not the game to do that in unless your really needed to. Dallas did not need to. not with th way the defense was playing.
However, that does not fit the narrative.

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
Was listening to a sound bite of McCarthy being directly questioned why he didn’t call a time out with 9-10 seconds left on the clock at the 8-yard line before the half.

Dak was staring at the sideline gesturing for the time out but never got the okay to do so.

Nine seconds is plenty of time to run a pass play into the endzone.

McCarthy’s explanation was “we wanted the three points.”

This is just another example of McCarthy being a mental midget with clock management. This was his reputation in Green Bay and we’ve seen it play out time after time this season.
Maybe he's not the mentle midget at all... defense was playing great... why not get sure points. To many ifs in this argument... don't need 40 points every week... hint... why go deep just to prove a point... take the underneath and play defense against a team playing without an offense...

glimmerman

Reaction score
At least give it a shot, right?

It’s really an indictment on the lack of confidence in Dak and the offense. That said, I don’t even believe that. I think McCarthy is mental midget with TOs in his pocket and time to spare.
Yep, at one point in the game I saw something happen and thought they need to take a time out. I looked and we had all 3. He just never uses them. Dak should have called it. He was looking at the side lines and asking should I take the time out. He needs to take control of it and try to get points. Could have had enough time to try to run it in if we wanted. If MM is afraid Dak would fumble or take a sack or throw a int then there is a problem.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Was listening to a sound bite of McCarthy being directly questioned why he didn’t call a time out with 9-10 seconds left on the clock at the 8-yard line before the half.

Dak was staring at the sideline gesturing for the time out but never got the okay to do so.

Nine seconds is plenty of time to run a pass play into the endzone.

McCarthy’s explanation was “we wanted the three points.”

This is just another example of McCarthy being a mental midget with clock management. This was his reputation in Green Bay and we’ve seen it play out time after time this season.

I disagree here. Now I did think it was stupid at the time, but MM has been overly aggressive to a fault since he has been here. But its nice to see him adjust to the times. Our defense wasnt going to let them score a lot of points. Kick the field goal, extend the lead and move on.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It was just another in a long list of times they mismanaged the clock before halftime.

No reason not to call a timeout and try a fade to Gallup in the corner of the endzone.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I would have liked to take a shot. If nothing is there, toss it out of bounds with some time left.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yes, because the Cowboys passing was so dominant yesterday, how could the man have any pause with taking that time out for what was certain to be a sure completion?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. Because we all know Dak needs "stellar" at every position group.
Well he sure as hell has never had that since he’s been in the league lol….Allen Hurns, Cole Beasley, Terrence Williams, Bruce Butler…..haha.

fredp22

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was not doing good and our QB is not confident. I was happy with the 3 pts with a 12 point lead at half against a sorry *** giants team with 0 offense.

u score u get 7
u miss the FG-u get nothing (we aleady missed an xp) and the media would have really been on MM

We should have run a play and thrown it away if nothing was open. MM just cant manage the clock

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When your offense is struggling a bit you take the guaranteed points.

Maybe he lost confidence Moore would call the right play or that Dak would execute it or the receivers would catch the ball.

Mr_437

Reaction score
My issues with MM handling of the timeout are: 1) He doesn't trust the QB. 2) The QB doesn't have the greenlight to call a timeout.

If MM had Aaron Rodgers he wouldn't be playing for a FG. I don't know what's going on, but this shows me the HC isn't believing in the offense.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I don’t defend his logic and thinking about this ever.

IMO though, I feel they were just playing cautious against inferior teams. He knew the Giants wouldn’t score

So they should play cautiously against an inferior team that can’t score while our defense is playing lights out ? Wow. So when do they not play cautiously? Lol. That was exactly the time to try something to get experience where you can come back from a mistake against the Giants. Now someday they will be forced to try it against a Green Bay or Tampa Bay or Rams with a lot more on the line. The coach went for the FG cause they were scared to make a mistake.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Hilarious how the haters just hate.

Anyway, yes momentum, any little thing can give a team momentum.

And your post does not make any sense....I DID NOT say from a missed FG.
I said from an INT, or sack, or failed TD attempt if the clock ran out.
well we could have taken a knee to keep momentum....... uhmmmm, ok.

Hater? why, because I think your premise is ridiculous. Momentum does not continue through halftime. Why do you think NBA teams calla time out when a team is on a14-0 run? To break momentum, even with just a 30 second break in the action.

To think a team just continues on with said "Momentum," after a 15 minute break in the action, sorry, I disagree with you on that.

You also play to win games, and you dont win games afraid of running 1 play from the 8 yard line and being afraid that you will get sacked or throw a pick.