McCarthy = Andy Reid?

johneric8

Reaction score
No.. Andy Reid is one of the best playcallers, if not the best playcaller, in the NFL. He also makes any QB he trots onto the field play at a respectable level.

McCarthy was fired because his playcalling and designs became predictable and stale.
Please, McCarthy won a superbowl and Reid is still trying.... Reid's playacting and demeanor ran stale in philly as well, you really should let yourself open your mind a bit.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I think you guys get focus too much on results sometimes and don't pay enough attention to what the guy is doing in game.

Everyone has to get results at the end of the day but ignoring the details and just pointing to the end results is ignoring a ton of other factors.

It's like the guys who defended Garrett and ignored what guys like Romo, Dez, the Oline, and Zeke did that was 100% their talent and had almost nothing to do with the guy calling or designing plays.

I get that sometimes but you are acting like Reid was so much more superior despite McCarthy "getting there" 4 times with a chance of getting to a SB and then winning one. If his game plan was so bad, he would never have gotten close. People seem to forget that in 2014, even with our best shot, people were already saying if GB got the ball, they would score. Their offense schooled us many times and it wasn't just Rodgers. People here would clamor for that. Reid is way more dynamic now in KC because he has weapons. Eagles did too but not the speed he has now. McCarthy has more weapons here. As Troy said on the radio this morning...he relied on Rodgers because that is who he had....here he has a run game and weapons.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Reid was fired because he didn't win a championship.

There has been complaints about his coaching and being too pass heavy and I think that may be fair but the guy makes his teams one of the hardest teams to defend regardless of who his QB is.

Andy Reid is brilliant but not even a brilliant coach deserves the Jason Garrett treatment if they haven't won a title.

Not Belichick.. Not anyone. Andy Reid had to be fired because he had plenty of time to get a title.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the pass heavy comments. I think his lack of a running game is what cost him championships. You have to be able to run the ball when the weather turns and you have to be run the ball to protect leads. But yes his offenses were difficult to defend and I hope MCCarthy brings a lot of the passing to backs, screens and plays designed to get the ball out quickly. I really think this style of offense could really benefit Dak. I’m really curious to hear wether or not MCCarthy will be calling the plays.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I get that sometimes but you are acting like Reid was so much more superior despite McCarthy "getting there" 4 times with a chance of getting to a SB and then winning one. If his game plan was so bad, he would never have gotten close. People seem to forget that in 2014, even with our best shot, people were already saying if GB got the ball, they would score. Their offense schooled us many times and it wasn't just Rodgers. People here would clamor for that. Reid is way more dynamic now in KC because he has weapons. Eagles did too but not the speed he has now. McCarthy has more weapons here. As Troy said on the radio this morning...he relied on Rodgers because that is who he had....here he has a run game and weapons.

Yes.. Because Reid might superior to everyone.

Andy Reids play designs are ridiculous.

johneric8

Reaction score
Because he couldn't win a championship.

Why was McCarthy fired from Green Bay is what you should be asking.
Because they FO wouldn't hire better talent, they let everyone go and had no pieces. Arod got frustrated and so did MM. It got toxic for a while, but you have to remember MM was in Green Bay for 13 years. You can't just put all the blame on MM because he was fired. He was a scapegoat to a certain extent and if you don't believe that you haven't lived long enough to figure it out..

Quick story, I'm a photographer, I've made my living doing commercial work for nearly 20 years. I worked for a company when I first started that hired me on because they had no one any good to shoot their jobs. The women who started the company was a terrible photographer but she was rich. They needed a hotshot to make them look good. They hired me and I quickly became beloved by all of their clients. Since I was still an independent contractor and had other jobs that were under my personal umbrella they started to resent me. Sure I generated a ton of money for their business, but they were still struggling to get by because of the amount of debt they accumulated after opening their company. Every month the struggled to write me my check, I remember one time the owner looked at me and said, "You do realize that while we write you these big checks, we are barely staying afloat".... I remember thinking to myself how weird that was for her to say that to me considering all the money I was bringing in, but it still didn't matter.

They were struggling and actually jealous that I was the star of the company and also killing it with my own brand. They needed me, but because of their bad business moves I was not appreciated, in fact I was hated.
I'm sure you will agree this was a toxic situation and it was. The day they fired me, the owner and her husband sat me down and gave me a couple really bad excuses why they were letting me go. One of them was that I was upsetting clients because I wore too much cologne, and another reason was my work was too edgy. They basically blamed me for their company going under because they couldn't face the fact they failed in their business plan.

They said other things like "I tarnished their image and they couldn't recover".. Anyone whom worked with me knew this wasn't the case, but it made them feel better to make me the scapegoat. A few months after I was let go the closed their doors and got out of the business of photography. 20 years later I'm still in business and doing amazingly well! If you look at my story it's not that much different than McCarthy's situation in Green Bay. You have to remember, there are lots of moving parts and things always aren't what they seem.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
No.. Andy Reid is one of the best playcallers, if not the best playcaller, in the NFL. He also makes any QB he trots onto the field play at a respectable level.

McCarthy was fired because his playcalling and designs became predictable and stale.
I'm not asking who is a better coach, are we getting something similiar or better in McCarthy due to the fact they have alot of the same coaching backgrounds and run a similiar WCO offense?

you're hatred of McCarthy is mind boggling, the guy has some skins on the wall

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Yes.. Because Reid might superior to everyone.

Andy Reids play designs are ridiculous.

They are and love the guys style but we have no idea what McCarthy will do with Zeke and what we have because GB was revolving backs and a top QB. But I still like where he got them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not asking who is a better coach, are we getting something similiar or better in McCarthy due to the fact they have alot of the same coaching backgrounds and run a similiar WCO offense?

you're hatred of McCarthy is mind boggling, the guy has some skins on the wall

Let's be real CC.. The only reason you're comparing them is because they are both hefty guys.

Flamma

Reaction score
Wasn’t Andy Reid fired for the same reasons in Philly? And don’t forget McCarthy has actually won a SB, Reid is still trying. I think both are good coaches with impressive resumes. Reid has no excuses now since he has perhaps the best QB in the game now.

Patriots aside, it's not easy to win a SB regardless of the QB. A lot of good coaches come and go without ever winning a SB, or fail to win one with a HOF QB. A lot of factors go into getting there and winning one besides QB. I personally like Reid more than McCarthy. I would make that trade straight up today. But I am willing to give the guy a chance to get the Cowboys back to a highly competitive team.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Let's be real CC.. The only reason you're comparing them is because they are both hefty guys.
that was sarcasm hence the lol, it's my personal opinion that we could see a lot of similarities on offense, and I really hope so too

NorTex

Reaction score
I would take Reid over McCarthy in a heartbeat. McCarthy without Rodgers is gonna be very disappointing, I fear. I think the comparison is akin to Steve Mariucci when he went to Detroit after the 49ers.

BigD_95

Reaction score

Didnt Reid get fired from Philly?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Because they FO wouldn't hire better talent, they let everyone go and had no pieces. Arod got frustrated and so did MM. It got toxic for a while, but you have to remember MM was in Green Bay for 13 years. You can't just put all the blame on MM because he was fired. He was a scapegoat to a certain extent and if you don't believe that you haven't lived long enough to figure it out..

Quick story, I'm a photographer, I've made my living doing commercial work for nearly 20 years. I worked for a company when I first started that hired me on because they had no one any good to shoot their jobs. The women who started the company was a terrible photographer but she was rich. They needed a hotshot to make them look good. They hired me and I quickly became beloved by all of their clients. Since I was still an independent contractor and had other jobs that were under my personal umbrella they started to resent me. Sure I generated a ton of money for their business, but they were still struggling to get by because of the amount of debt they accumulated after opening their company. Every month the struggled to write me my check, I remember one time the owner looked at me and said, "You do realize that while we write you these big checks, we are barely staying afloat".... I remember thinking to myself how weird that was for her to say that to me considering all the money I was bringing in, but it still didn't matter.

They were struggling and actually jealous that I was the star of the company and also killing it with my own brand. They needed me, but because of their bad business moves I was not appreciated, in fact I was hated.
I'm sure you will agree this was a toxic situation and it was. The day they fired me, the owner and her husband sat me down and gave me a couple really bad excuses why they were letting me go. One of them was that I was upsetting clients because I wore too much cologne, and another reason was my work was too edgy. They basically blamed me for their company going under because they couldn't face the fact they failed in their business plan.

They said other things like "I tarnished their image and they couldn't recover".. Anyone whom worked with me knew this wasn't the case, but it made them feel better to make me the scapegoat. A few months after I was let go the closed their doors and got out of the business of photography. 20 years later I'm still in business and doing amazingly well! If you look at my story it's not that much different than McCarthy's situation in Green Bay. You have to remember, there are lots of moving parts and things always aren't what they seem.
:hammer:

MikeB80

Reaction score
People saying Andy Reid didn't run the ball must have forgotten The first 5 years or so in Philadelphia. They were a big physical offense that pushed people around on the ground and then Jim Johnson was the best DC not named Bill Belichick in the league. The passing all the time stuff happened later on in Mcnabb's last few years.

Those early eagles teams ran all over everyone and physically beat them up.

EJK24

Reaction score

I dont think the past automatically translates to the future. I'll give him a chance before jumping the gun.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Andy Reid was fired because he couldn't get his team to a championship.

No coach deserves a significant amount of time if they can't win a championship.

I don't care if it's Belichick or whoever. Andy Reid is no different.

I made posts on this board that we should've hired him the day he was made available but we didn't.

Andy Reid is a less successful McCarthy. Your judgement on a lot of things is questionable.

McCarthy got to a Super Bowl and won. Andy Reid got to one and lost...with his franchise QB playing at a high level. McCarthy is more proven as a HC than Reid. Reid is similar to Schottenheimer