McCarthy: "But this team is about defense. Let’s make no bones about it."

lostar2009

Reaction score
They invested a lot in the D. Plus giving up 40 points isnt a good look. Our D collapse but 49ers D remained strong. Not sure of many teams that could come out fine in this game.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i think we all knew the offense was gonna be terrible and that the defense needed to step up to keep the game competitive, however two games so far theyve gotten blown out.
3 n outs hurt no doubt, but they shouldnt be getting gassed out that fast not playing the run and giving receivers 10 yard cushions
The defense stiffened up after the first drive before the flood gates opened at the end of the half. The offense gained 15 yards and fumbled on the next FOUR drives. In those drives they had the ball for
:50 sec
1:52 sec
:9 sec!
1:30 sec.

That is BRUTAL.

Against a high powered offense like the Niners who are scoring 30+ a game, no defense is going to hold out forever. Gotta get points on the board or at the very least have some long drives to give them a breather.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
The defense stiffened up after the first drive before the flood gates opened at the end of the half. The offense gained 15 yards and fumbled on the next FOUR drives. In those drives they had the ball for
:50 sec
1:52 sec
:9 sec!
1:30 sec.

That is BRUTAL.

Against a high powered offense like the Niners who are scoring 30+ a game, no defense is going to hold out forever. Gotta get points on the board or at the very least have some long drives to give them a breather.
last playoff game we had a similar showing, defense played lights out that game. This game it almost felt like they were completely a different team.
Offense for sure needs to stop sucking terribly, but the defense is the strength of this team and needs to act like it.

Even last year denver with their horrendous offense their defense still kept games close, the steelers with kenny two left feet picket still manage to keep games close with their defense.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Is he blaming Quinn?

This team lost Diggs and now LVE, two key players on the defense. Seems to me this team has to be about offense now.
as much flak as LVE gets here, we saw how terrible our LBers are without him like in that Jags game

CWR

Reaction score
i dont even know if we even have a solid defense anymore.
Giants have no oline and no weapons, Jets were still in shell shock from rodgers and Zach wilson was well, zach wilson (although he is playing better now), and the patriots who just look abysmal.

Really hoping its just some fluke, losing Diggs should not have derailed us this bad.

Believe me, I'm only comfortable putting any faith in this defense because of last year and the steady improvement under Quinn. If I was going by this season alone I'd feel exactly the same way, unsure.

Make no mistake I'm looking at them sideways and hoping it isn't about to implode.

I love the irony though. Last year we were done after week one. Then the impossible happened, and now we look done after week 5. A part of me thinks this house of cards is ready to come tumbling down.

One thing gives me hope, thats our uncanny ability to suprise. These guys may rattle off three straight now. Lol

Adreme

Reaction score
The 9er's were one drive away from dropping 49 on us, but they pulled their starters. Defense :oops:
12 minutes to go in the 4th, they could probably have hit 56 if they needed to. Defense is certainly a concern.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry gave him the QB equivalent of a lawn mower and demands that he win Le Mans with it.
Poor MM (even though not very impressed with him) and that lawn mower doesn't even have a bag attached.........if you get my tattoo here!!!

75boyz

Reaction score
Almost sounds like it’s a power struggle between McCarthy and Quinn. Mike might be afraid that Quinn will be next to get his job. I’ve never heard an offensive coach claim that the “defense is our strength”….especially one that’s paying their QB the way the Cowboys are
Yeah,
I mean he's hired as this offensive minded 2 decades plus SB winning playcaller. Then add in he initially hires his buddy Mike Nolan as his DC to catastrophic results.
And to add, I for one do not know how much say/involvement he had in the Quinn hiring.

But NOW this too?
Yeah, you McCarthy groupies were so right about the legitimacy of this guy as our head coach.

Accountability?
I mean anyone...?
Any accountability whatsoever?

My gosh he's a joke.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy: “I like a lot of things that we’ve done outside of (Sunday) night, offensively. Outside of the red zone, we definitely hit the mark. When we started this offensive approach back in April, I just think it’s a matter of: Who do you want to be and who do you think you are? I coached a team for a lot years that was offensive driven. But this team is about defense. Let’s make no bones about it. That’s not a slight against the offense. We want to score as many points as everybody and we’re not playing not to lose, so don’t mix the message here. But we play to our defense. That’s the strength of our team. And by doing that, the time of possession, taking care of the football, those are two things that I thought were improvements from past years, the first month. Clearly, it was not (against the 49ers).”

yet the defense has laid an egg twice in 5 games. dominated the likes of Jones, Jones, Wilson.....
dominant defenses don't do that.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Like it or not, his comments are exactly what he said this summer when he said he would play the game through the defense because that’s our best and deepest unit. This has nothing to do with the SF game or shifting blame. It’s just a rehash of his summer comments.

75boyz

Reaction score

Like it or not, his comments are exactly what he said this summer when he said he would play the game through the defense because that’s our best and deepest unit. This has nothing to do with the SF game or shifting blame. It’s just a rehash of his summer comments.
Yeah,
I don't know about you, but imo this offense in no shape or form resembles a "run the damn ball and rest the defense" type offense.
Not even close.

jmo

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
he has said it every sense KM left..its the same message the whole time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy: “I like a lot of things that we’ve done outside of (Sunday) night, offensively. Outside of the red zone, we definitely hit the mark. When we started this offensive approach back in April, I just think it’s a matter of: Who do you want to be and who do you think you are? I coached a team for a lot years that was offensive driven. But this team is about defense. Let’s make no bones about it. That’s not a slight against the offense. We want to score as many points as everybody and we’re not playing not to lose, so don’t mix the message here. But we play to our defense. That’s the strength of our team. And by doing that, the time of possession, taking care of the football, those are two things that I thought were improvements from past years, the first month. Clearly, it was not (against the 49ers).”

Because he made it that way. LOL

We went from the #1 scoring offense in the NFL to this pile of garbage with nobody to blame but MM himself.

How do you ruin the #1 scoring offense in the NFL with more talent?

He needs to be fired at the end of the season if not sooner.

RFABR

Reaction score
Great, we're the Oustide the Red Zone Champions

Does it grant a banner?

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
How about make your offense better, since you’re supposed to be an offensive mind and coach. Offense has regressed.

stiletto

Reaction score
MM must still think he has the 2000 Ravens defense. Obviously it is not and teams don't win with Defense anymore. Any coach that talks like this should probably be canned as soon as possible.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
MM must still think he has the 2000 Ravens defense. Obviously it is not and teams don't win with Defense anymore. Any coach that talks like this should probably be canned as soon as possible.
the man who cans him wanted the offense run through Zeke last year and FOR SURE signed off on this philosophy this year...said as much on the radio yesterday morning..

stiletto

Reaction score
the man who cans him wanted the offense run through Zeke last year and FOR SURE signed off on this philosophy this year...said as much on the radio yesterday morning..
We all know that the idiotic Bozo's running the team are the real problem.