McCarthy: "But this team is about defense. Let’s make no bones about it."

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That is a cop-out it is still an offensive league.
The NFL Redzone is an NFL product meaning that teams share in the revenue, right?

Can they withhold from an NFL team for not contributing to the content? If so, Dallas revenue is dropping.

When you think about an "offensive league", let it sink in we've barely scored in the red zone.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I might be totally wrong, but it sounds like a scapegoat setup. Offense has to stand on it's own, you want a balanced team. This implies that the Offense is not capable of leading this team, imho.

Xelda

Reaction score

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy: “I like a lot of things that we’ve done outside of (Sunday) night, offensively. Outside of the red zone, we definitely hit the mark. When we started this offensive approach back in April, I just think it’s a matter of: Who do you want to be and who do you think you are? I coached a team for a lot years that was offensive driven. But this team is about defense. Let’s make no bones about it. That’s not a slight against the offense. We want to score as many points as everybody and we’re not playing not to lose, so don’t mix the message here. But we play to our defense. That’s the strength of our team. And by doing that, the time of possession, taking care of the football, those are two things that I thought were improvements from past years, the first month. Clearly, it was not (against the 49ers).”

It danged sure was offensive!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I might be totally wrong, but it sounds like a scapegoat setup. Offense has to stand on it's own, you want a balanced team. This implies that the Offense is not capable of leading this team, imho.
Well he has been saying this since before OTA's.. this isnt new

Mr_437

Reaction score
Well he has been saying this since before OTA's.. this isnt new
He has, but in this moment it has incompetent offense vibes. The Offense has been so mediocre its not even helping the defense sometimes.

Lutonio

Reaction score
This philosophy of team building does not work in 2023. You can’t build a team around defensive speciality because it’s so match up dependent. The rules are slanted to give a major advantage to the offense. You want a decent defense that can create some stops occasionally, but there is no longer such a thing as a shutdown defense. It really means only one thing when you say your defense is the heart of the team in 2023: the offense sucks.

Get out there and play with your leather helmets.

Creeper

Reaction score
as much flak as LVE gets here, we saw how terrible our LBers are without him like in that Jags game
LVE is a good player but I think his experience is invaluable to this defense. Sure, he makes his share of mistakes taking bad angles and not seeing things quickly enough at times, but overall I think he is one of the more valuable defensive players, certainly better than what they have on the practice squad.

glimmerman

Reaction score
To me he is stating the obvious. He knows the Defense can be dominate when they get rolling. They can score also. And we have a supposed quick strike short yard passing game with and run game set to move the chains and eat the clock. That’s great of you score at the end of the drive. And mostly TDs.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
He has, but in this moment it has incompetent offense vibes. The Offense has been so mediocre its not even helping the defense sometimes.
The response was to are we going to change the scheme, not to is the offense a problem...I'm sure he would've agreed the offense was a problem last Sunday.

erod

Reaction score
The Ravens are the ones that get brought up as a Defensive bar of excellence. The Ravens had Trent Dilfer as QB who accounted for 3% of the cap.
Yep, and others.

Tampa and Brad Johnson.

New York and Phil Simms.

Pittsburgh and O'Donnell (and later rookie Roethlisberger)

San Fran and Garrapolo

Carolina and Delhomme

Philly and Foles