McCarthy confirms Trey Lance to get bulk of work in preseason

Motorola

Reaction score
I think (and hope) that they are planning Lance's progress in steps:

1) Take over as backup
2) Create some packages for him and give him some game experience
3) Take over QB1 when Prescott falters (again)

This is precisely how they developed Romo under Parcells.
Romo did not play a down in regular season during his first 3 years with Dallas.
His first game experience was in 2006 week 5...mop up duty in a 34-6 win over the Texans.
The following week versus the Giants, Parcells pulled Testaverde after a bad first half and inserted Romo to be the QB to finish the game.
Even after the loss, Parcells decided to make Romo the starter for the rest of the 2006 season.
There were no "packages created" for Romo to gain game experience before he became the starting QB.

CWR

Reaction score
Romo did not play a down in regular season during his first 3 years with Dallas.
His first game experience was in 2006 week 5...mop up duty in a 34-6 win over the Texans.
The following week versus the Giants, Parcells pulled Testaverde after a bad first half and inserted Romo to be the QB to finish the game.
Even after the loss, Parcells decided to make Romo the starter for the rest of the 2006 season.
There were no "packages created" for Romo to gain game experience before he became the starting QB.
I think it was Bledsoe but yup that's how it went down. Romo also immediately went for a kill shot. Lol

Motorola

Reaction score
I think it was Bledsoe but yup that's how it went down. Romo also immediately went for a kill shot. Lol
You are correct - it was Bledsoe...and that was the last game he played in his career.

Reactions: CWR

Motorola

Reaction score
You are correct - it was Bledsoe...and that was the last game he played in his career.
To be more specific --Romo did not play QB during his first 3 seasons. He was the holder for PATs and FGs the first six games in 2004 before being deactivated for most of the remaining season.
In his 2005, he resumed the holder role for plackicking the entire season.
Reviewed the game archives -- Romo was in at QB for two plays in a week 5 game versus the Eagles. The Cowboys were winning the game handily (33-10). Play-by-play stats showed Dallas ending the last Philadelphia drive on downs; then the Cowboys offense with Romo returned to field, and he did two kneeldowns to run the clock out (Romo's stats - no passing attempts, 2 rushes for -2 yards.)

Reactions: CWR

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be more specific --Romo did not play QB during his first 3 seasons. He was the holder for PATs and FGs the first six games in 2004 before being deactivated for most of the remaining season.
In his 2005, he resumed the holder role for plackicking the entire season.
Reviewed the game archives -- Romo was in at QB for two plays in a week 5 game versus the Eagles. The Cowboys were winning the game handily (33-10). Play-by-play stats showed Dallas ending the last Philadelphia drive on downs; then the Cowboys offense with Romo returned to field, and he did two kneeldowns to run the clock out (Romo's stats - no passing attempts, 2 rushes for -2 yards.)
That is when winning can effect your stats.

Despite romo haters defending dak...romo never cared about stats. He just played as high strung as he could...often when he "choked"...it was HE who got them close enough to begin with.

He had a lot of amazing plays and games that "eye test" AND stats will bear out. Not sure why people can't deal with it. The couple times he failed? People sheesh.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
When training camp begins in two months, Trey Lance will be third place - at best - in the "hype machine" category...behind DeMarvion Overshown and Cooper Beebe.
I am pretty sure Beebe is going to be very good.

Motorola

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Beebe is going to be very good.
That could very well happen.

Just from the many, many expectations this offseason about the LB after his training camp and preseason last summer before he was injured - and the reactions from the rookie OL player's boisterous statements about how he plays football - most CZers are drooling over those two guys way more than the 3rd string QB getting an opportunity to be the backup - despite his top-three draft pick happenstance (which was many moons ago).

I can throw in the return of Diggs being another player that will get the "hype machine" status \ treatment this summer more than Lance.

JMO...we will soon see how it unfolds.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder what other teams and organizations give the bulk of the work to their 3rd string QB?

I wonder how this not only makes Dak, but Rush feel?

Why would Dak have any interest in resigning with the Cowboys at this point?

I wonder how this gets our first string offense in rhythm and ready to go for week 1?

Only in Jerry World.
Many teams don't play their starting QB in the preseason.

Many teams have older veteran #2 QBs.
- It's not that helpful for veteran QBs to play vs 3rd string defenses in the preseason.