McCarthy confirms Trey Lance to get bulk of work in preseason

CWR

Reaction score
Cowboyszone is home to the extremes. Trey Lance is either:
  • Tranced
or​
  • The next coming of Troy Aikman/Roger Staubach
Poor kid.
A lot of the people who have hope for Lance are realistic. We know he could in all likelihood be a bust, but the potential is there and we want to see it play out. Of course that doesn't stop the hyperbole.

Chasing6

Reaction score
A lot of the people who have hope for Lance are realistic. We know he could in all likelihood be a bust, but the potential is there and we want to see it play out. Of course that doesn't stop the hyperbole.
Believing having hope is realistic is hyperbole.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I wonder what other teams and organizations give the bulk of the work to their 3rd string QB?

I wonder how this not only makes Dak, but Rush feel?

Why would Dak have any interest in resigning with the Cowboys at this point?

I wonder how this gets our first string offense in rhythm and ready to go for week 1?

Only in Jerry World.
yeah stupid is as stupid does, and stupid statement.
Rush needs his work, Dak maybe one possesion in the 2nd or 3rd game.
Hohensee ,give him some time.

To give it all to lance is stupid in that it is preseason, so it isnt like a real game.
QB can look great in PS and then look bad in a real game.
So look at all of them .

If lance looks great it doesnt mean he will look the same in a real game, for that they need to give him a real game, like carolina or the giants etc.
See how he does in a real game.

stinkface

Reaction score
He should get 75 percent of the work. Dak won't play at all, we know that. They know what they got with Cooper already. The only wild card is this new kid they brought in to see if he might be something.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Why woul dany team trade for Lance and give up a 3rd or higher pick for a guy that is going to be an unrestricted free agent in a few months?
True, but a team would if they don't want to risk losing him. Trade for him and get him signed before he has a chance to hit the market.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
based on what ps games?? and how much do you offer him.
PS only shows a little, he needs to play a real game.
Preseason games convinced the Cowboys to go with Dak in 2016 after Romo got hurt instead of signing a veteran off the street.

Not saying Lance is going to do the same but the preseason cannot be totally dismissed.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Preseason games convinced the Cowboys to go with Dak in 2016 after Romo got hurt instead of signing a veteran off the street.

Not saying Lance is going to do the same but the preseason cannot be totally dismissed.
Actually it was the regular season that convinced the Cowboys to stay with Dak. None of us knew he was going to be as good as he was when he replaced Romo. I'm not the biggest Romo fan in the world but I remember even I was mad that Romo got hurt again. Didn't think much of Dak then until the season progressed.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah no it's just a weak, conservative philosophy. The Eagles have 300 million in void money on the books and they still make moves and push it. We approach the off season like scared little girls.
It's typical overreaction by the Joneses. Jerry was a wildcatter who thought he could throw money around and buy more Super Bowls, neglecting the draft along the way (for years, turning it and pro scouting over to his buddy Larry Lacewell despite Lacewell never having proven that he could do that job). Parcells came in and taught the Joneses about the importance of the draft (essentially that you need real personnel people evaluating it — he replaced Lacewell with Ireland — and can't just pick on a whim) and just when it seemed they were going to use all areas of team building, they allowed some poor free agency choices to convince them that spending big in free agency wasn't worth it.

Note that Lacewell was brought in when Jimmy was coach, but it still was just basically giving a friend a job instead of seeking the most qualified person. Jerry didn't care enough about the draft to do that ... and up until 1994, he essentially had Jimmy to run the draft. Lacewell proved to be one of the worst personnel directors in the game.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
It's typical overreaction by the Joneses. Jerry was a wildcatter who thought he could throw money around and buy more Super Bowls, neglecting the draft along the way (for years, turning it and pro scouting over to his buddy Larry Lacewell despite Lacewell never having proven that he could do that job). Parcells came in and taught the Joneses about the importance of the draft (essentially that you need real personnel people evaluating it — he replaced Lacewell with Ireland — and can't just pick on a whim) and just when it seemed they were going to use all areas of team building, they allowed some poor free agency choices to convince them that spending big in free agency wasn't worth it.

Note that Lacewell was brought in when Jimmy was coach, but it still was just basically giving a friend a job instead of seeking the most qualified person. Jerry didn't care enough about the draft to do that ... and up until 1994, he essentially had Jimmy to run the draft. Lacewell proved to be one of the worst personnel directors in the game.
I've long since labeled Jerry as the master of over correction.

When we got beat out for Demarco and employed a lesser back field we immediately went out the following year and took a rb @4. We let Dez go and ran with junk at WR, until flipping a first for Coop.

Clearly this philosophy is more long term, but it's still the same script. I'm not necessarily criticizing fixing a mistake, but geez do we have to make such blatantly obvious mistakes in the first place?

Look at it this way. His next round of over correcting will be exciting as we will clearly go ham in FA. Except he has cap boy now, so maybe not.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I've long since labeled Jerry as the master of over correction.

When we got beat out for Demarco and employed a lesser back field we immediately went out the following year and took a rb @4. We let Dez go and ran with junk at WR, until flipping a first for Coop.

Clearly this philosophy is more long term, but it's still the same script. I'm not necessarily criticizing fixing a mistake, but geez do we have to make such blatantly obvious mistakes in the first place?

Look at it this way. His next round of over correcting will be exciting as we will clearly go ham in FA. Except he has cap boy now, so maybe not.
Maybe so. I'd much rather see wildcat Jerry than the version we have now. He still didn't know what he was doing, but at least he was willing to throw his money at the problem.

I'd prefer to see a balance, of course, instead of an overreaction either way, but I don't think the Joneses are capable of that.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Maybe so. I'd much rather see wildcat Jerry than the version we have now. He still didn't know what he was doing, but at least he was willing to throw his money at the problem.

I'd prefer to see a balance, of course, instead of an overreaction either way, but I don't think the Joneses are capable of that.
I think his son killed wildcatter Jerry.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Painting those who haven't crapped all over him as super fans is hyperbole. You can be hopeful without measuring him for a gold jacket you know?
I hope he is still in the league next year. That is realistic.