McCarthy confirms Trey Lance to get bulk of work in preseason

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What's the real reason

1. See what they have in him as a backup
2. Showcase him off to other teams
3. Use this as a tool to not sign Dak?
4. See if he's the new starter whenever
All of the above. If Lance is good enough, the Cowboys can free up a roster spot by dumping Rush. If he's very good, the Cowboys can trade him for a higher pick than the 4th they gave up to get him.

And, while it might be hard to tell in just preseason games, they very well might have their QB of the future if things remain stagnant, on and off the field, with Dak.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
All of the above. If Lance is good enough, the Cowboys can free up a roster spot by dumping Rush. If he's very good, the Cowboys can trade him for a higher pick than the 4th they gave up to get him.

And, while it might be hard to tell in just preseason games, they very well might have their QB of the future if things remain stagnant, on and off the field, with Dak.
Which I'm glad you said that!!!! If Lance does turn out to be our QB next season, what do you think he could ask for reasonably???

Chasing6

Reaction score

I wonder what other teams and organizations give the bulk of the work to their 3rd string QB?

I wonder how this not only makes Dak, but Rush feel?

Why would Dak have any interest in resigning with the Cowboys at this point?

I wonder how this gets our first string offense in rhythm and ready to go for week 1?

Only in Jerry World.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What's the real reason

1. See what they have in him as a backup
2. Showcase him off to other teams
3. Use this as a tool to not sign Dak?
4. See if he's the new starter whenever
Right now, it's just to see if he's worth keeping. He is set to get $5 million this year and be a free agent next year. Can't decide if we want to continue the experiment until we see if he shows some development.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I wonder what other teams and organizations give the bulk of the work to their 3rd string QB?

I wonder how this gets our first string offense in rhythm and ready to go for week 1?

Only in Jerry World.
Dak wasn't going to play much in the preseason. Rush doesn't really need much work, either. He is what he is at this point in his career. They just need a few warm-up snaps. Lance needs lots of snaps.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

Only in Jerry World.
This is a business, feelings aren't important. dak can sit back and relax while Lance runs the show this off season.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Which I'm glad you said that!!!! If Lance does turn out to be our QB next season, what do you think he could ask for reasonably???
I think that depends on his performance. The Cowboys declined Lance's 5th year option which would have paid him around 25 m next season but that is way below market value for a starting QB these days.