Twitter: McCarthy: "I’ve gone out of my way to not make Kellen feel like I’m trying to step on his toes"

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We'll see.

If it was my decision McCarthy would be the playcaller.

I don't know how much of a detriment Garrett was to Kellen Moore. I just know I saw great playcalling weeks 1-3 last year and we went to New Orleans and went into a complete shell offensively.

Everything is sunshine right now. We will see if we have a trendy up to date NFL offense soon enough.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
source.gif

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
That's a knock on Garrett. Deep down McCarthy knew that Garrett's coaching style was a complete failure. But he didn't want to say anything bad about Garrett.

Not only does McCarthy want to put players in a position to succeed, but also his assistant coaches.

Garrett is the worst thing to happen to the Cowboys this past decade. Not only was he a yes man. He threw people under the bus to save his job.

Thank the NFL gods that he is gone for good.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We'll see.

I don't know how much of a detriment Garrett was to Kellen Moore. I just know I saw great playcalling weeks 1-3 last year and we went to New Orleans and went into a complete shell offensively.

Everything is sunshine right now. We will see if we have a trendy up to date NFL offense soon enough.

I really think that McCarthy likes Kellen as the playcaller. He doesn't beat around the bush and tells it as it is. Unlike Garrett who would skirt around the issue by talking about a process.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I really think that McCarthy likes Kellen as the playcaller. He doesn't beat around the bush and tells it as it is. Unlike Garrett who would skirt around the issue by talking about a process.

I agree but I also think McCarthy will not sit and do nothing if he is not liking the play calling that is being made. I also think McCarthy will be very involved in game planning through out the week leading up to games.

Dre11

Reaction score

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree but I also think McCarthy will not sit and do nothing if he is not liking the play calling that is being made. I also think McCarthy will be very involved in game planning through out the week leading up to games.

Bingo!!!!! Just me, but I also think he's positioning Kellen for a head coaching gig.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't think Mike's comment had anything to do with Garrett. I'd bet money he was just saying this to clarify that trusts Kellen.

Agree, there are plenty of ways to take that where it isn't a shot at anyone. I read that as a generic way of saying "we all work well together, plan is coming together, seamless coaching, blah blah".

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bingo!!!!! Just me, but I also think he's positioning Kellen for a head coaching gig.

Maybe so but I think often men in that profession understand those things take care of themselves. 1st order of business for all involved is winning here and now. If this offense and team show great success then sure doors open up for Moore and his coaching career.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It wouldn't really bother me if McCarthy, at least, retained the right to get together with Kellen behind the scenes and discuss things. I can't see where that should be a violation of his duties as the Cowboys HC. If Jerry prohibited him from doing so, I think it would be an unhealthy situation. To me, MM seems fair minded enough to deal with Moore very tactfully.

75boyz

Reaction score

I mean, I hope that's how it's supposed to work.
The confusing gray area in my opinion is if Coach McC is a simple new walk around coach with an established staff. And... is relinquishing his entire past offensive coaching identity to a one year offensive coordinator to whom he had zero previous ties.
All in the name of a fresh start and repairing a recently tainted image.

Just seems like a guy whose sole purpose to re invent himself as the supposed McCarthy WCO guy and QB whisperer would not do this fifty/fifty shared offense as this public show that is currently being presented.

Gonna be fun to watch it all unfold.

Hope it ain't a replay of last year where the fan base is asking Is it Garrett's or Moore's offense.

I mean by all accounts and from the coach's mouth even, It's Moore's offense.

Hope it's as exciting as everyone is making it out to be.

Go Cowboys

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We'll see.

What a turn around it, it was like they brought the VANILLA Pop Warner playbook to New Orleans.

cern

Reaction score
I took the comment to mean it's not carte blanche for moore and mac is in fact putting his two cents worth into the offense. Seems a good thing to me. The oc works for the hc. But they work together also.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think Mike would like to step on his toes and be more in command, but I think he 1) really likes Kellen as a young coach and doesn't want to antagonize him, and 2) knows how much he needed him this first offseason with Dak likely holding out. (Obviously this was before we knew Covid would happen.)

I take Mike to mean that he is having lots of input, but also trying to be sure Kellen doesn't feel like he's just a yes man and not an actual OC.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A little shade at Garrett?

There were some poorly called games and end games. I can believe it was all Garrett, but if not, I want to see McCarthy step on some toes.

He's got much more experience than Moore. I hope he's giving Moore a lot of input, an overrules him if he gets dumb.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
McCarthy is doing the right thing. With the limited preseason and no preseason games, it would have been near impossible for him to completely change out the offense without creating massive amounts of confusion. But since we are keeping the system and playcaller the vets know, it should go smoothly this year.

Kellen succeeds and it looks good on McCarthy as HC. Kellen fails to live up to the hype, and McCarthy takes over. If the offense gets better then, McCarthy is the hero.

Also, it is too early for Jerry to pull a Wade/Garrett maneuver on him so McCarthy should be safe for a couple years at least from that. Now after a few years, Mike better watch his back in case Kellen becomes Garrett 2.0 but for now it's all good.