Twitter: McCarthy: "I'm here to win championships."

texbumthelife

Reaction score
“it’s a process”

I really hate the “what else is he gonna say” nonsense. Sometimes it feels good to have something clearly stated even if it should be obvious.

I tend to agree. While Garrett was very diplomatic behind the mic, he honestly never came across as a coach to me. The players have said they were behind him, but I don't think they would have run through traffic for him. MM seems more like the kind of motivator that guys not only rally behind, but they'll push themselves further for. He's gonna defend them to reporters, but he may also throw them to the wolves on occasion. Of course, that is yet to be seen on the field and we've heard about his failures in Green Bay, so take that with a grain of salt.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Strange not hearing "We like our guys" repeatedly.....................

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can’t believe we flushed ten years down the toilet...

tenor.gif

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Strange not hearing "We like our guys" repeatedly.....................
Often that was from Jerry or Stephen rather than Garrett, and we have seen variations of that when asked about free agents.

For example, when asked about Earl Thomas, McCarthy said ….

“We’re very confident in where we are (with) the 80-man roster,” McCarthy said, according to Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News. “…I have nothing really to report.”

It's really the smart comment to make because a coach doesn't want to publicly disparage his current players, especially if the free agent being discussed doesn't end up signing with the team.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Often that was from Jerry or Stephen rather than Garrett, and we have seen variations of that when asked about free agents.

For example, when asked about Earl Thomas, McCarthy said ….

“We’re very confident in where we are (with) the 80-man roster,” McCarthy said, according to Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News. “…I have nothing really to report.”

It's really the smart comment to make because a coach doesn't want to publicly disparage his current players, especially if the free agent being discussed doesn't end up signing with the team.

Constantly praising players who finish every other year at .500 wasn't all that helpful....................

Proof

Reaction score
I tend to agree. While Garrett was very diplomatic behind the mic, he honestly never came across as a coach to me. The players have said they were behind him, but I don't think they would have run through traffic for him. MM seems more like the kind of motivator that guys not only rally behind, but they'll push themselves further for. He's gonna defend them to reporters, but he may also throw them to the wolves on occasion. Of course, that is yet to be seen on the field and we've heard about his failures in Green Bay, so take that with a grain of salt.

I agree

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
Its different. Garrets season objective was to win the division first. He would always say that and so would the players. No wonder he owned the NFC east because he probably put all in capital into divisional games.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Constantly praising players who finish every other year at .500 wasn't all that helpful....................
Refusing to disparage them isn't the same as praising them. Saying "we like our guys" the way Jerry or Garrett sometimes did, was just a generic statement that didn't pat anyone in particular on the back, just as McCarthy saying "we feel confident with where we are with our 80 man roster" doesn't.

Think about it. What possible good would it have done when asked about Earl Thomas if McCarthy had said "yeah, our current safeties are lacking, so I hope we work out something with Earl Thomas to help out"? Same with in past years.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Refusing to disparage them isn't the same as praising them. Saying "we like our guys" the way Jerry or Garrett sometimes did, was just a generic statement that didn't pat anyone in particular on the back, just as McCarthy saying "we feel confident with where we are with our 80 man roster" doesn't.

Think about it. What possible good would it have done when asked about Earl Thomas if McCarthy had said "yeah, our current safeties are lacking, so I hope we work out something with Earl Thomas to help out"? Same with in past years.

No one suggested bad-mouthing players publicly................But I guarantee that Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick lit into their players when they played badly during the weekly team meetings ; can't see The Clapper doing that....................

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one suggested bad-mouthing players publicly................But I guarantee that Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick lit into their players when they played badly during the weekly team meetings ; can't see The Clapper doing that....................

You are talking about a different topic now. We were talking about a public response to a reporter, not what happens in team meetings.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
MM is a direct communicator. Straight-forward. Keeps things simple. So refreshing to hear straight-talk vs Garrett’s “coach-speak”

Garrett was a “motivator”. Didn’t want his guys to “get out over their skis” in terms of vision/expectations. He believed in his “process” that just focusing on the daily commitment to practice and prep was enough to get it done when the heat was on in crunch time. Never talking about the goal of winning championships actually communicates a lack of belief in your guys to get it done. It was like Garrett did not want to “jinx” the team by setting the goal and standard at a championship.

MM stating publicly that his goal is championships is EXACTLY the tone and message this team needs. We are committed to one thing— and everything we do is aligned with that purpose. Anyone who is not lined up with that goal? There is the door. Go play somewhere else

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair, Garrett set the bar mighty low for the next coach, especially with this roster. :laugh: But I agree, McCarthy is a massive improvement. :thumbup:

Garrett set that limbo bar unintentionally. He tried his best, but his best clearly was never good enough. He was gifted a job he never earned nor deserved, and on top if that, an incredible amount of patience from a man who struggled to admit that his original assessment was wrong.