Twitter: McCarthy: "I'm here to win championships."

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair, Garrett set the bar mighty low for the next coach, especially with this roster. :laugh: But I agree, McCarthy is a massive improvement. :thumbup:
Garrett wasn't a good coach, but I don't understand the comment on the roster. Sure there are spots that needed upgrading, but overall there was solid talent on the roster.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Well, the time for talk is soon coming to an abrupt halt -- here's hoping MM and his team is ready to help him keep his word. It's been a long and highly anticipated season that lies ahead. Starting off hot with a new staff on the road will be a great challenge, however.

Nevertheless, this staff has a chance to make history for the Cowboys. Here's hoping it's a time that we'll all be proud of. The talent is certainly there to be used to advantage. That's encouraging, in itself. Here's hoping our game one mistakes will be kept minimal. ;)

Last edited:

MCMetal69

Reaction score
You are talking about a different topic now. We were talking about a public response to a reporter, not what happens in team meetings.

Repeatedly answering using the same quote works when you have Belichick's record , not Garrett's....................

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MM is a direct communicator. Straight-forward. Keeps things simple. So refreshing to hear straight-talk vs Garrett’s “coach-speak”

Garrett was a “motivator”. Didn’t want his guys to “get out over their skis” in terms of vision/expectations. He believed in his “process” that just focusing on the daily commitment to practice and prep was enough to get it done when the heat was on in crunch time. Never talking about the goal of winning championships actually communicates a lack of belief in your guys to get it done. It was like Garrett did not want to “jinx” the team by setting the goal and standard at a championship.

MM stating publicly that his goal is championships is EXACTLY the tone and message this team needs. We are committed to one thing— and everything we do is aligned with that purpose. Anyone who is not lined up with that goal? There is the door. Go play somewhere else

Another key point, McCarthy has the guts to speak about "winning championships" and the expectations that come with such statements. He doesn't shy away from them like his predecessor did.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Another key point, McCarthy has the guts to speak about "winning championships" and the expectations that come with such statements. He doesn't shy away from them like his predecessor did.

Jimmy J knew the power of positive reinforcement and how to use it....................He would say after that 1st horrible 1-15 season every year "We will exceed what we did the previous year".......................

Scotman

Reaction score
Can’t believe we flushed ten years down the toilet...
Can you imagine how much worse those 10 years are going to look when MM gets us back to the Superbowl? I was all in on JG for about 3 years. After that, it looked just like more of the same...year...after....year...after...year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you imagine how much worse those 10 years are going to look when MM gets us back to the Superbowl? I was all in on JG for about 3 years. After that, it looked just like more of the same...year...after....year...after...year.

:thumbup: :banghead:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Repeatedly answering using the same quote works when you have Belichick's record , not Garrett's....................
Again, it wasn't just Garrett, and in fact may have been said more often by Stephen and Jerry. And, again, McCarthy has used a paraphrase of the same thing when asked about free agents.

And, again, what else would you expect them to say? In the event they don't sign the player in question, what possible good would it have done for them to be on the record as having publicly said their current players are inadequate?

aria

Reaction score
He’s probably talking about division championship, right?

Reid1boys

Reaction score

watch this.... How many times does Patricia talk about how the lions will win championships, be physical .... blah, blah, blah.

WTH you expect McCarthy to say? He, Im here to hopefully win a playoff game or two? They all say the exact same thing. Who cares.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Garrett wasn't a good coach, but I don't understand the comment on the roster. Sure there are spots that needed upgrading, but overall there was solid talent on the roster.
It was really just to say that we are loaded and a marginally better coach would probably exceed Garrett’s run with this team, but we got a massive upgrade at HC so we’re in even better shape.

Big_D

Reaction score

they were a team with no balls at all. Took on the snipped persona of a crap HC.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
The Coaching.

Much, much, MUCH better coaching.

Yes, Mike will have this team prepared and ready.

He is a blue collar no nonsense coach that will not take crap from his players.

I like the way he handles his business thus far and the team/media.

Time will tell soon but I think his coaching will be a substantial improvement as we go forward!

Williamsboys

Reaction score
When McCarthy sees how our suckandary is being totally burnt like Sunday toast the kids make maybe then he'll tell Jerry to draft and sign a couple of decent defensive backs.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

watch this.... How many times does Patricia talk about how the lions will win championships, be physical .... blah, blah, blah.

WTH you expect McCarthy to say? He, Im here to hopefully win a playoff game or two? They all say the exact same thing. Who cares.

Lol... that dude just had to have his trademark pencil on his ear for the press?
Wow.

lukin2006

Reaction score
That's refreshing from JG who said I am here to win the division every other year when the schedule is soft, and he has won the NFL's "Golden Clapper Award" an unprecedented 10 years in a row...

plasticman

Reaction score
Everyone has been ranting about the great improvement in coaching without a single game being recorded.

Is anybody nervous?

The truth is I don't really know how you identify great coaching other than the results.

I am all for McCarthy, he is the Cowboy coach but I honestly don't know how this is going to turn out, I am hoping for the best like I do at the beginning of every season.

The fact that he has won a SB is reassuring. The fact that no coach has won a SB with two different teams? Not so reassuring.

I know he has incentive. If he won a SB here then he can't be left out of the HOF. I hope he is a better game manager.