McCarthy is happy with Trey Lance, and so is Jerry

leeblair

Reaction score

The Cowboys understand that Trey Lance needs game time, but they appear very satisfied with his progress to date.

"He continually gets better every time you give him a chance," McCarthy told reporters via The Athletic's Jon Machota. "I think that says a lot about him. He's just a young guy that needs to play. I think he'll play in this league for a long time." (AZ Sports)

As far as Jerry Jones, he was quoted as saying, “I saw some good, and I saw some things you’d like to have back,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, per Pro Football Talk. “I hate that those five interceptions are going to be a stat on a game that I couldn’t have asked for more reps and a better situation to watch him play. He needed that because the one thing he’s missing more than anything is the lack of reps much less NFL reps. Certainly, we’re planning on him being on our roster for sure.”(Trevor Woods,Yardbarker)

Yesterday's outing was more than likely one in which Lance was encouraged to take chances in order to learn what he could and couldn't do.

Last edited by a moderator:

leeblair

Reaction score
Whats crazy is despite the 5 I ts it was 1 possession game so I fuess something had to go right on defense and the offense.

Still though, where's the accountability? 5 Ints would doom many players roster spot and there's praise?
I think they wanted him to learn what he could and couldn't do.
They seem pleased with the performance, although I am sure they would have liked not to have had so many interceptions.
They are apparently hoping for big things with Lance.
And we know Jerry would love to be revered as a genius for making the deal to get him.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I saw a guy that was less tentative and more inclined to take risks. Most see 5 ints as a negative, and to be sure, it is. It also means he's opening up and learning to trust his instincts. He looked decisive more often than not, and clearly the physical attributes are unreal.

He made some bad reads and that's something the coaches need to work on. He's still green, but what we saw this preseason was progress. Leaps and bounds of progress. Going into the game, his stats were as good as anyone's this preseason.

He looked better early in the game going against guys more likely to make the LA roster, with Harbaugh throwing the kitchen sink at him. It wasn't a good game by any stretch Of the imagination, but he look3d much better than when SF let go of last season. He was a known project when he was drafted, and SF let him go early because of the Purdy situation. Some guys take longer to develop. Some aren't worth the wait. Guys like Lance....if he develops, he could be one of the best. He's worth being patient. Just my .02

leeblair

Reaction score

The Cowboys understand that Trey Lance needs game time, but they appear very satisfied with his progress to date.

"He continually gets better every time you give him a chance," McCarthy told reporters via The Athletic's Jon Machota. "I think that says a lot about him. He's just a young guy that needs to play. I think he'll play in this league for a long time." (AZ Sports)

As far as Jerry Jones, he was quoted as saying, “I saw some good, and I saw some things you’d like to have back,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, per Pro Football Talk. “I hate that those five interceptions are going to be a stat on a game that I couldn’t have asked for more reps and a better situation to watch him play. He needed that because the one thing he’s missing more than anything is the lack of reps much less NFL reps. Certainly, we’re planning on him being on our roster for sure.”(Trevor Woods,Yardbarker)

Yesterday's outing was more than likely one in which Lance was encouraged to take chances in order to learn what he could and couldn't do.

Thanks for the help with X, mods.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Meh.

I'm not impressed with anything except his running ability and arm cannon after that last game.

His poor decision making really irked me.

I don't need to watch him for 8 more years to judge him properly.

On to the draft.
Decision making can be fixed.

Also, it doesn’t help that we are rotating players everywhere in the middle of a preseason game.

Lance has played real NFL football and was 4-4 as a starter. He’s only going to get better.