McCarthy is not the right head coach for the Cowboys

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very interesting article. It goes into great detail about McCarthy's blunders and honestly it makes a great case for him getting fired after this season. Some of what I read was shocking. Since 2021, the Cowboys have committed a total of 300 penalties, the most in the league??? What the heck?

"On Monday night, they looked extremely unorganized. They couldn’t get the right amount of players on defense (sometimes 12, sometimes 10). They had to burn timeouts three different times because they weren’t ready. And they even called off using pre-snap motion to prevent even more pre-snap penalties" The examples and videos of stupid in game decisions is frankly quite scary.

I was on the fence with McCarthy but after ready this article it's clear that nothing short of a championship he should be gone. Especially after watching the videos. I mean, some of this stuff is Football 101 and he messed them up.

5 reasons why Mike McCarthy is not the right head coach for the Cowboys​

The conversation around Mike McCarthy never ends.

By Dan Rogers Oct 21, 2023

A Super Bowl-winning coach.

Back-to-back 12-win seasons for the first time in 23 years.

Sitting with a 4-2 record.

When you take a step back, the track record of Mike McCarthy looks pretty good. He has a Lombardi Trophy on his résumé and the Dallas Cowboys are winning games. What more can you ask for?

Answer: Another Lombardi Trophy

Winning football games is great and the Cowboys do win. Despite their Super Bowl drought, they are still top 10 in winning percentage over the last 20 years. The team has had plenty of regular-season success, but for some reason can’t seem to make any noise in the postseason. McCarthy was supposed to be the answer to correct that. This is his fourth season as the Cowboys head coach, and despite having some degree of success, there still seems to be a lot of uncertainty about his future in Dallas. If the Cowboys once again fail to get past the divisional round, should the McCarthy experiment be over?

Results speak volumes, but there are also some other factors that could end up sending McCarthy over the ledge. We have identified five pieces of evidence that suggest he is not a very good coach which ultimately could lead to his departure in 2024.

REASON 1: THE GREEN BAY IMPROVEMENT
REASON 2: THE FIRST-YEAR CATASTROPHE
REASON 3: LACKING PREPARATION
REASON 4: INEPT PLAY-CALLING
REASON 5: IN-GAME DECISIONS

It’s rather evident that McCarthy is not doing a lot of things right as a coach. You might be able to make a case against one thing or another, but this collection of coaching gaffes indicates he might not be the coach he once was. The Cowboys hired McCarthy hoping he’d bring some of that past glory to Dallas, but it’s not looking so good and this could end up being the last season we see McCarthy coaching the Cowboys.

Read much much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...coach-penalties-clock-management-kellen-moore

1730101686.0.jpg

reddyuta

Reaction score
we need a coach like the Dolphins.he has a philosophy and they trade and draft players to fit their need to a T. MM has completely and utterly been exposed,we went from no 1 red zone team to a team where fans have to cover their eyes every time we are in the red zone.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There's only one reason why MM is the HC for the Cowboys - he was willing to be another puppet. He also wanted to get a pay check, but to do that he had to toss his dignity out the door and bow to Jerry. He was hired rather quickly and there can't be any other explanation for it.

The 'right head coach' for this team is years away from being hired. Or I should say, that person won't be coming to Dallas while Jerry is still alive. And until that inevitable day comes we will have to tolerate the likes of MM for a HC.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
There's only one reason why MM is the HC for the Cowboys - he was willing to be another puppet. He also wanted to get a pay check, but to do that he had to toss his dignity out the door and bow to Jerry. He was hired rather quickly and there can't be any other explanation for it.

The 'right head coach' for this team is years away from being hired. Or I should say, that person won't be coming to Dallas while Jerry is still alive. And until that inevitable day comes we will have to tolerate the likes of MM for a HC.
That guy hasn't been born yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say this. McCarthy got what he wanted this season. They sent Moore away and gave Mike full control. And the issues speak for themselves. He was given ‘enough rope to hang himself’ as the saying goes, and thus far he’s doing exactly that.

acr731

Reaction score
I will say this. McCarthy got what he wanted this season. They sent Moore away and gave Mike full control. And the issues speak for themselves. He was given ‘enough rope to hang himself’ as the saying goes, and thus far he’s doing exactly that.
Full control of what? The only thing he has some control over is the offense, and Jerry could pull that control away at any moment. He did it to Garrett, he will eventually do it to MM.

acr731

Reaction score
Is this where somebody says, "Who are we going to get to win 12 games a year? 12 wins don't grow on trees. I would be scared to take a chance. I remember the Campo years." :D
It's unfortunate that some fans actually enjoy regular season wins more than post season wins. These are also the same 'fans' who like flashy stats more than wins.

cowboybish

Reaction score
we need a coach like the Dolphins.he has a philosophy and they trade and draft players to fit their need to a T. MM has completely and utterly been exposed,we went from no 1 red zone team to a team where fans have to cover their eyes every time we are in the red zone.

He isn’t running this team and the decisions are made by made by our incredibly, intelligent GM. No coach will succeed under Jerry Jones.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Stupid article for many reasons. So McCarthy is blamed for those 13 win years in GB after he left, but gets no credit for the 12 win ones here. Makes total sense.

Repeatedly using 2020 is the dumbest one. Who cares? That was a disastrous injury year and nobody could have won then.

And I don't follow BtB, but I'm about 90% sure Rogers was a huge Garrett shill (like most of them over there) and gave Garrett every pass for the 2015 4-12 year. Again, totally inconsistent argument.

McCarthy has done an overall very good job here. I don't get this wanting to fire the coach every year we don't win it all. Especially after going 12-5, 12-5, 4-2 without an elite QB. Just let this year play out.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Very interesting article. It goes into great detail about McCarthy's blunders and honestly it makes a great case for him getting fired after this season. Some of what I read was shocking. Since 2021, the Cowboys have committed a total of 300 penalties, the most in the league??? What the heck?

"On Monday night, they looked extremely unorganized. They couldn’t get the right amount of players on defense (sometimes 12, sometimes 10). They had to burn timeouts three different times because they weren’t ready. And they even called off using pre-snap motion to prevent even more pre-snap penalties" The examples and videos of stupid in game decisions is frankly quite scary.

I was on the fence with McCarthy but after ready this article it's clear that nothing short of a championship he should be gone. Especially after watching the videos. I mean, some of this stuff is Football 101 and he messed them up.

When you take a step back, the track record of Mike McCarthy looks pretty good. He has a Lombardi Trophy on his résumé and the Dallas Cowboys are winning games. What more can you ask for?

Winning football games is great and the Cowboys do win. Despite their Super Bowl drought, they are still top 10 in winning percentage over the last 20 years. The team has had plenty of regular-season success, but for some reason can’t seem to make any noise in the postseason. McCarthy was supposed to be the answer to correct that. This is his fourth season as the Cowboys head coach, and despite having some degree of success, there still seems to be a lot of uncertainty about his future in Dallas. If the Cowboys once again fail to get past the divisional round, should the McCarthy experiment be over?

Results speak volumes, but there are also some other factors that could end up sending McCarthy over the ledge. We have identified five pieces of evidence that suggest he is not a very good coach which ultimately could lead to his departure in 2024.

It’s rather evident that McCarthy is not doing a lot of things right as a coach. You might be able to make a case against one thing or another, but this collection of coaching gaffes indicates he might not be the coach he once was. The Cowboys hired McCarthy hoping he’d bring some of that past glory to Dallas, but it’s not looking so good and this could end up being the last season we see McCarthy coaching the Cowboys.

Read much much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...coach-penalties-clock-management-kellen-moore

1730101686.0.jpg
in my opinion so completely dumb article given all the reason above too why he is the right coach... media and fans always just want something different and if an easy improvement and yet here we are...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Stupid article for many reasons. So McCarthy is blamed for those 13 win years in GB after he left, but gets no credit for the 12 win ones here. Makes total sense.

Repeatedly using 2020 is the dumbest one. Who cares? That was a disastrous injury year and nobody could have won then.

And I don't follow BtB, but I'm about 90% sure Rogers was a huge Garrett shill (like most of them over there) and gave Garrett every pass for the 2015 4-12 year. Again, totally inconsistent argument.

McCarthy has done an overall very good job here. I don't get this wanting to fire the coach every year we don't win it all. Especially after going 12-5, 12-5, 4-2 without an elite QB. Just let this year play out.
100 :hammer:

acr731

Reaction score
The ONLY right Coach for the Cowboys was Bill Parcells. Someone who can actually overpower the Owner/GM and demands his respect. Even Jimmy couldn't do it in the end.
Bill wasn't brought in to win anything, though, he was brought in to get a stadium built. Jerry allowed him to have some control in the beginning, but he yanked it away when the stadium deal was complete. Need proof? Terrell Owens - Bill didn't want that cancer on the team, but Jerry signed him anyway. It was a clear sign of who was controlling what, and Bill was in control of nothing at that point. Bill quit at the end of that season, mostly due to Jerry and Owens.

visionary

Reaction score

1730101686.0.jpg
After 2+ years Mccarthy needs to go but after 8 years Dak deserves a 50 million/y contract

Stupid Cowboys fans

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Bill wasn't brought in to win anything, though, he was brought in to get a stadium built. Jerry allowed him to have some control in the beginning, but he yanked it away when the stadium deal was complete. Need proof? Terrell Owens - Bill didn't want that cancer on the team, but Jerry signed him anyway. It was a clear sign of who was controlling what, and Bill was in control of nothing at that point. Bill quit at the end of that season, mostly due to Jerry and Owens.
That's true. TO was a slap in the face. But I thought it was necessary. Keyshawn had lost it. Galloway never fit in with Parcells MO. Terry Glenn was about the best we had, unless I'm forgetting someone. Parcells kept him in check. Called him the "prince" or something right, all the time in the media? Lost control once Wade Phillips took over.

But as far as overall control, Bill definitely had it, as shown by his late attempt to go 3-4 instead of 4-3 and tear up the defense. Remember, a semi-decent defense was about the only thing he walked into in year one.

Not just control of the team, but you need a media presence in a Coach with Jerry always slipping in something to the press. Bill was uncanny at taking those attempts by the media to undermine him and flipping them back to the press and making them feel like idiots.