McCarthy is not the right head coach for the Cowboys

dacoming

Reaction score
Very interesting article. It goes into great detail about McCarthy's blunders and honestly it makes a great case for him getting fired after this season. Some of what I read was shocking. Since 2021, the Cowboys have committed a total of 300 penalties, the most in the league??? What the heck?

"On Monday night, they looked extremely unorganized. They couldn’t get the right amount of players on defense (sometimes 12, sometimes 10). They had to burn timeouts three different times because they weren’t ready. And they even called off using pre-snap motion to prevent even more pre-snap penalties" The examples and videos of stupid in game decisions is frankly quite scary.

I was on the fence with McCarthy but after ready this article it's clear that nothing short of a championship he should be gone. Especially after watching the videos. I mean, some of this stuff is Football 101 and he messed them up.

5 reasons why Mike McCarthy is not the right head coach for the Cowboys​

The conversation around Mike McCarthy never ends.

By Dan Rogers Oct 21, 2023

A Super Bowl-winning coach.

Back-to-back 12-win seasons for the first time in 23 years.

Sitting with a 4-2 record.

When you take a step back, the track record of Mike McCarthy looks pretty good. He has a Lombardi Trophy on his résumé and the Dallas Cowboys are winning games. What more can you ask for?

Answer: Another Lombardi Trophy

Winning football games is great and the Cowboys do win. Despite their Super Bowl drought, they are still top 10 in winning percentage over the last 20 years. The team has had plenty of regular-season success, but for some reason can’t seem to make any noise in the postseason. McCarthy was supposed to be the answer to correct that. This is his fourth season as the Cowboys head coach, and despite having some degree of success, there still seems to be a lot of uncertainty about his future in Dallas. If the Cowboys once again fail to get past the divisional round, should the McCarthy experiment be over?

Results speak volumes, but there are also some other factors that could end up sending McCarthy over the ledge. We have identified five pieces of evidence that suggest he is not a very good coach which ultimately could lead to his departure in 2024.

REASON 1: THE GREEN BAY IMPROVEMENT
REASON 2: THE FIRST-YEAR CATASTROPHE
REASON 3: LACKING PREPARATION
REASON 4: INEPT PLAY-CALLING
REASON 5: IN-GAME DECISIONS

It’s rather evident that McCarthy is not doing a lot of things right as a coach. You might be able to make a case against one thing or another, but this collection of coaching gaffes indicates he might not be the coach he once was. The Cowboys hired McCarthy hoping he’d bring some of that past glory to Dallas, but it’s not looking so good and this could end up being the last season we see McCarthy coaching the Cowboys.

Read much much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...coach-penalties-clock-management-kellen-moore

1730101686.0.jpg
I hated the hire when it happened and still do. This has been the main problem for the Cowboys over the years, coaching hires. They didn't interview multiple candidates, they already wanted McCarthy for whatever reason and interviewed a minority candidate to satisfy the Rooney rule and then hired him. I'd compile a list of candidates and talk philosophies, potential coaching staff, QB thoughts, etc. The only old coach I'd consider would be Andy Reid and maybe Belicheck unless they want to look at Harbaugh from Michigan. They need a young innovative offensive minded coach. I wanted Dan Campbell but McCarthy got hired.