1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Twitter: McCarthy is putting his mark on the Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Rockport, Mar 31, 2020.

1. snapper

snapper Well-Known Member

679 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Seasoned, experienced and most importantly, can be the solid veteran leadership this defense lacked last year. Heck, even though they are no longer in their prime, Poe and McCoy are, IMO, still better than Woods and Collins.

stuckindc, jazzcat22 and DCBoysfan like this.
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

35,652 Messages
    28,965 Likes Received
    I can't say for sure. You very well may be right. I never thought the DT situation was GArret's decision I always felt like it was Maranelli's. Never found a high graded defensive tackle he liked. NEVER.

I also think having a little more salary cap to work with then in recent years is how McCoy got here. Otherwise, I would've expected the same bargain basement shopping in free agency.

3. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

3,600 Messages
    3,363 Likes Received
    "Under Garrett, the usual strategy for NFL free agency was to sit out the first wave -- sometimes even the first two waves -- and instead go bargain shopping in the third and fourth waves, but McCarthy's influence on owner Jerry Jones and the Cowboys front office has seen them depart from the dated blueprint and instead dive right in the pool early and often."

At that point I stopped reading and looked up to see who wrote that gibberish.

Yep, no need to keep reading.

4. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

6,543 Messages
    4,716 Likes Received
    Agreed. Finally when they say they’re going to take bpa they may mean it. Not we’re taking bpa that fits our scheme

stasheroo likes this.
  5. rocyaice

35,652 Messages
    28,965 Likes Received
    I hope that's not the case. I'm fine with adding a starter here and there. And basically that's all they did. Probably got older in 3 positions on defense...but if they address those same positions in the draft I'm fine with it. Still go get a DT in the draft......still go get a corner and/or safety and I'm good. Doesn't have to be in the 1st round.....

Techsass likes this.
  6. rocyaice

35,652 Messages
    28,965 Likes Received
    I sometimes wonder how much influence Garrett and Maranelli had. Maranelli always strikes me as the guy who they'd throw a bone in the later rounds too aside from last year with Hill. Taco......I want to say I remember reports about Maranelli liking him but that too strikes me as a Jerry decision that others had to get on board with. Taco is such a typical Jerry pick especially late in the draft and the whole "war daddy" talk.

DenCWBY likes this.
  7. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer

20,188 Messages
    18,068 Likes Received
    What about Ha Ha Dix? What about letting Witten go? What about anointing Jarwin the starting TE? What about signing the blocking TE? What about Cooper? What about saying Dak is the man? He's done a lot more than just sign 2 30 year old DT's. Don't be that guy. You're better than that usually.

ShortRound131, BigD_95, GenoT and 4 others like this.
  8. rocyaice

35,652 Messages
    28,965 Likes Received
    I agree with all of the above. I just don't accredit that to him.

Ha Ha Clinton Dix to me is just like signing George Iloka last year. Granted, I think Ha HA is better and should be here much longer than him.

My point wasn't to discredit McCarthy I just think he's getting credit for moves that were probably made for him. I should give him credit for saying Dak is the man lol? For signing Cooper?

These same moves would've happened with McCarthy here or Garrett.

I like the McCarthy hire but these moves aren't why I like it. I like it because will have a actual head coach on the field on Sunday's and it won't feel like we are going into a game with our hands behind our backs. Personnel decisions....I'm not giving McCarthy credit for something he probably has nothing to do with.

DenCWBY likes this.
  9. SackMaster

SackMaster Well-Known Member

613 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    True. Maranelli seemed to have way too much influence on what Dallas brought in on the D-Line only for him to dislike his own choice afterwords.

As far as McCoy, I have a sneaky suspicion that the BIGGEST reason he is here is because his kid will be attending Oklahoma for the next few years. Dallas just happens to be the closest NFL Team to OU AND had interest with a open starting spot for McCoy to play. That's just a theory of mine.

10. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer

20,188 Messages
    18,068 Likes Received
    I see it differently. One of the first things he said he was going to do was evaluate the players. If he wasn't onboard with Cooper or Dak long term he would have told Jerry that and they may have moved on.

ShortRound131 and snapper like this.
  11. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

6,179 Messages
    6,102 Likes Received
    I don't know why it would be.
    MM had no hesitation drafting WRs in GB.

12. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

64,754 Messages
    73,687 Likes Received
    I encourage you to go back and research the situation with Marinelli, Garrett, and Taco Charlton. They finally, rightfully, hung for that mistake. Far too late however and our defensive line was left in shambles with nothing to show for our 2017 1st round pick. Meanwhile, TJ Watt and the Steelers are leading the league in sacks...

13. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

17,325 Messages
    21,771 Likes Received
    I see it as Mike trying to fix the problem. Interior line was a problem, Safety has always been a problem, and kicker was a giant problem. So far, so good.

Losing Quinn sucked, but that contract at his age is nuts. My bet is they will draft a guy, and I’m betting they put on the tape of Gregory year before last, and realized we got us a DE.

chagus and stasheroo like this.
  14. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

44,389 Messages
    46,511 Likes Received
    MM is the HC, and McClay said they will gear their talent search for the type of players he and his staff want.

So that tells me MM was involved and had much to do with these decisions. MM, Jerry, Will, said they will all work together on this. If they can't or aren't, and players are chosen for him, then why is he here, just to be a better coach. I don't buy that.
    Also if these players are chosen for him, then the Jerry haters better be giving Jerry the credit. And you know that will not happen.

I usually agree with many of your posts, but this I can't.

snapper likes this.
  15. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

44,389 Messages
    46,511 Likes Received
    CHAMPIONSHIP
    Haven't seen that for a while, just thought I would remind you all of it...but this time it can really happen....:D

Rockport likes this.
  16. stuckindc

stuckindc Well-Known Member

235 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    exactly..Now we can draft BPA ...so if S or DT is best on the board , we can load that position...All we need them for is a year or two as we fill those positions through the next couple drafts and FA. Will knows what he's doing , especially now with Dumb n Dumber gone...

snapper likes this.
  17. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

12,303 Messages
    5,346 Likes Received
    garrett was a puppet. what you smell is Jerry Jones stench....and it shall return.

18. rocyaice

35,652 Messages
    28,965 Likes Received
    I'm not making a claim here. I do not know for sure if these are MM hires or not. I've seen nothing to suggest these are MM hires or Jerry's. This coaching staff for sure is on MM. No doubt. But if MM didn't want Cooper and Dak...do I think they would've let them walk? No. I don't.

And I'm not disagreeing with you here. What you're saying is exactly what I'm saying. This is a committee. I don't think this is just MM which the article tries to state.

19. rocyaice

35,652 Messages
    28,965 Likes Received
    You don't give Garrett enough credit. Garrett was no puppet. Sure, Jerry undercut him a lot but a lot of those screwed up moves were on Garrett.

Idgit, stasheroo and jazzcat22 like this.
  20. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

15,038 Messages
    32,284 Likes Received

He also let Witten walk and let Heath walk and signed a different safety.

I would bet my house that Witten and Heath are both still on the cowboys if Garrett was head coach.