Twitter: McCarthy is putting his mark on the Cowboys

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You don't give Garrett enough credit. Garrett was no puppet. Sure, Jerry undercut him a lot but a lot of those screwed up moves were on Garrett.
oh, I don't disagree. but jerry pulled a lot of the strings and had a lot of impact, the rest was garrett. it was a total cluster......

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not making a claim here. I do not know for sure if these are MM hires or not. I've seen nothing to suggest these are MM hires or Jerry's. This coaching staff for sure is on MM. No doubt. But if MM didn't want Cooper and Dak...do I think they would've let them walk? No. I don't.

And I'm not disagreeing with you here. What you're saying is exactly what I'm saying. This is a committee. I don't think this is just MM which the article tries to state.

MM also said one of the reasons he wanted the HC position, that he liked Dak and feels he can win with him. He liked the offense, and was one of the reasons he kept Moore. Was not to upset the success they were showing on offense. It just needs tweaked some (my words not his). And that he will be the one learning new terminology, not the entire offense. He and his group later in the season studied Dallas and Dak and the team more than any other teams, so that was reported anyway.

I think MM was on board with keeping Dak and Amari from the start. Or he had a pretty good idea he was going to be given those players to work with.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He also let Witten walk and let Heath walk and signed a different safety.

I would bet my house that Witten and Heath are both still on the cowboys if Garrett was head coach.
To me those are Jerry and Stephen moves. Ha-Ha for sure could be seen as a McCarthy move.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't give Garrett enough credit. Garrett was no puppet. Sure, Jerry undercut him a lot but a lot of those screwed up moves were on Garrett.

This I agree, Garrett was not a puppet coach, but he probably should have spoke up more than he did. Heck, maybe he did, we as fans don't really know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see it as Mike trying to fix the problem. Interior line was a problem, Safety has always been a problem, and kicker was a giant problem. So far, so good.

Losing Quinn sucked, but that contract at his age is nuts. My bet is they will draft a guy, and I’m betting they put on the tape of Gregory year before last, and realized we got us a DE.

You had me until that bit at the end about Gregory. "Year before last" isn't a casual phrase to use when it comes to the NFL.

I wasn't all that high on him initially, but I keep getting the feeling that K'Lavon Chaisson continues to rise up the Cowboys draft board.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also let Witten walk and let Heath walk and signed a different safety.

I would bet my house that Witten and Heath are both still on the cowboys if Garrett was head coach.

And we all know Jerry wanted Witten back, so it wasn't a Jones call that he's not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MM also said one of the reasons he wanted the HC position, that he liked Dak and feels he can win with him. He liked the offense, and was one of the reasons he kept Moore. Was not to upset the success they were showing on offense. It just needs tweaked some (my words not his). And that he will be the one learning new terminology, not the entire offense. He and his group later in the season studied Dallas and Dak and the team more than any other teams, so that was reported anyway.

I think MM was on board with keeping Dak and Amari from the start. Or he had a pretty good idea he was going to be given those players to work with.

Why wouldn't a new coach want to keep the quarterback and wide receiver who helped the team lead the league in total offense?

That's the question I'd like conspiracy theorists to answer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I think he was too. Especially based on what was out there. Personnel-wise there wasn't a better offense available who needed a head coach. You already got a offense in place. The Giants, Panthers, Commanders, etc....you were building from scratch. So I know McCarthy liked what he had here. But re-signing those guys had nothing to do with him. Jerry was not letting them go even if Garrett was here.

HungryLion

Reaction score
To me those are Jerry and Stephen moves. Ha-Ha for sure could be seen as a McCarthy move.

I have no idea why you would think they’re Jerry and Stephen moves and not Garrett moves.

Garrett being gone is the primary difference in leadership and now those two are finally allowed to walk like they should have been years ago.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And we all know Jerry wanted Witten back, so it wasn't a Jones call that he's not.
Mind you, Jerry wanted Dez back too. And TO. Sean Lee is back because he's productive. I honestly think Witten isn't back because he finally saw the writing on the wall.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I have no idea why you would think they’re Jerry and Stephen moves and not Garrett moves.

Garrett being gone is the primary difference in leadership and now those two are finally allowed to walk like they should have been years ago.
The Heath and Witten departures? To my knowledge Heath left here and got a deal with the Raiders. I haven't read anything that said they wouldn't have brought him back on a cheap veteran deal. To me they couldn't' justify giving Jarwin a 4 year deal and bring back Witten. Not for the money they did. They had to get rid of Witten in order for Jarwin to live up to that deal.

This I agree, Garrett was not a puppet coach, but he probably should have spoke up more than he did. Heck, maybe he did, we as fans don't really know.
Some reporters claim Garrett would do it behind the scenes.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how history judges the Garrett era. Personally I am very excited to see what a real coach can do here. It has been such a long time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're 100% right. Some people want to falsely claim that coaches and players were routinely forced on Garrett and that's patently false. Garrett was simply terrible at his job.
Yep. Especially this last year. And trust I don't think its ideal to work for Jerry. I said it in another thread or maybe it was this one......I honestly feel had he went to the Ravens his career would've ended up better. I don't know to what extent but his job would've been easier with Ozzie as GM and not having to deal with Jerry.

But the issues I had with Garrett are isolated from the issues I have with Jerry. This team would go into games damn near spotting the opposing team 14-20 points. The lack of emphasis on special teams. Coming from a guy who says all 3 phases of the game are important.....yet there was only a emphasis on one which was offense and it suffered because of him.

Aven8

Reaction score
You had me until that bit at the end about Gregory. "Year before last" isn't a casual phrase to use when it comes to the NFL.

I wasn't all that high on him initially, but I keep getting the feeling that K'Lavon Chaisson continues to rise up the Cowboys draft board.

That’s who I think we will draft, and the more I read about him the more I like.....Gregory has shown that the dude can flip a switch obviously with his play on/off career he’s had. I wouldn’t bet on it, but we’ve waited this long so hopefully that thing finally sticks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Especially this last year. And trust I don't think its ideal to work for Jerry. I said it in another thread or maybe it was this one......I honestly feel had he went to the Ravens his career would've ended up better. I don't know to what extent but his job would've been easier with Ozzie as GM and not having to deal with Jerry.

I'd say shorter, not better. Nobody would have had the patience with lack of results that Jerry Jones had with his pet project. Anywhere else, they would have demanded results.

But the issues I had with Garrett are isolated from the issues I have with Jerry. This team would go into games damn near spotting the opposing team 14-20 points. The lack of emphasis on special teams. Coming from a guy who says all 3 phases of the game are important.....yet there was only a emphasis on one which was offense and it suffered because of him.

He was never up to the job he was given. It's not an either/or of blame between he and Jerry, it's both. One's mistakes don't erase the other's.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s who I think we will draft, and the more I read about him the more I like.....Gregory has shown that the dude can flip a switch obviously with his play on/off career he’s had. I wouldn’t bet on it, but we’ve waited this long so hopefully that thing finally sticks.

I don't mind having "hope" with Gregory, it would be nice to see the investment finally pay off and the young man carve out a career and life for himself. My issue comes with counting on that as a strategy.