Twitter: McCarthy is putting his mark on the Cowboys

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t believe Coach Marinelli. Was allowed to choose. I don’t want don’t know about taco was it just Jason and they didn’t like him . Anyways totally agree

I think they followed up one monumental mistake with another and another.
  1. They allowed an aging defensive coordinator (that the game has passed by) to overrule scouts' recommendations and draft board. And the head coach backed him on that.
  2. Then they somehow allowed that same coach to put his guy in a doghouse from which there was no escape. How does that happen? This is your guy Rod! The one you banged the table and overruled scouts for. You don't get to 'quit him' or 'give up on him'. This was your call, it's your fault that he's here, and it's your responsibility to make it work, or die trying. There is no 'out'.
  3. They followed up that failure by letting him do the exact same thing again with their top pick in 2019. And the exact same thing happened. That's entirely on the organization, with blame to go around from Jerry Jones, to Stephen Jones, to Will McClay, to Jason Garrett, to Marinelli (again).
We can only hope that mistakes like these are gone with Garrett and Marinelli, and that Will McClay will side with his guys - the scouts - rather than acquiescing to the coaches and ownership.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  1. They allowed an aging defensive coordinator (that the game has passed by) to overrule scouts' recommendations and board. And the head coach backed him on that.
  2. Then they somehow allowed that same coach to put his guy in a doghouse from which there was no escape. How does that happen? This is your guy Rod! The one you banged the table and overruled scouts for. You don't get to 'quit him' or 'give up on him'. This was your call, it's your fault that he's here, and it's your responsibility to make it work, or die trying. There is no 'out'.
  3. They followed up that failure by letting him do the exact same thing again with their top pick in 2019. And the exact same thing happened. That's entirely on the organization, with blame to go around from Jerry Jones, to Stephen Jones, to Will McClay, to Jason Garrett, to Marinelli (again).
We can only hope that mistakes like these are gone with Garrett and Marinelli, and that Will McClay will side with his guys - the scouts - rather than acquiescing to the coaches and ownership.
:hammer:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The season has yet to start & Big Mac is already ahead of Garrett's entire debacle
season of 2019. ":clap:"
:lmao:

Good - it's about damn time the stench of Garrett is removed and forgotten.
A decade is hard to be forgotten. But I"m sure a Superbowl Championship would cure that ailing completely. :laugh:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're either delusional or have some sort of underlying bias that makes you irrational. Saying, and I quote you- "this offseason hasn’t been a departure from what we normally see" is one of the most misinformed statements I've heard yet.
And to top it off, you say the biggest change is in special teams! Sure special teams have been upgraded with a new coach, but there hasn't been a player overhaul yet, so how can you say that hiring Fassell is the biggest deviation from the norm when you're talking about a guy Jerry Jones whom just allowed the ENTIRE coaching staff to be about dismantled and replaced?

I would say that getting guys in that can help the middle of our defense, and a safety by the name of HA HA, shows that more than just hiring john fassel is on the menue. I mean, we've been screaming for these types of moves for years!
For the life of me I can't see how you can point to ST being the only departure from the norm. Sure, I get we signed Quinn last year and he was pretty good, but the whole philosophy of how the cowboys are going about things is notably different.
If you ask me what the biggest difference is, I would have to say that us being players in the first wave of free agency is the biggest out of the box move besides Jerry finally canning the freckled puppet and hiring a super bowl winning coach.

I’m not the delusional one. Last year we added Quinn, Darien Thompson, Covington, Hyder, Iloka, and Cobb. We had Eric Berry in for a visit and everybody was googley-eyed that that deal was coming. And later we added Bennett after the season started.

This year, with more impact starters leaving we signed McCoy to replace Collins, Poe to replace Bennett (at least, his DL roster spot), Dix is this year’s Thompson/Iloka who’s an actual starter replacement for the departed Heath.

You’re overrating the quality of the veteran DLs we brought in because you know their names. When you see the contracts, they’re going to look like the one-year stop gaps they are. They’re good stop gaps, but they’re stop gaps.

When it’s all said and done, you’re going to see that I’m right about the turnover on Teams, too. We’ll have a lot more starters there on the final 53. That’s on top of the Zuerlein signing at K.

Sit tight.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like what the Cowboys have done thus far and I think McCarthy has a lot of say in what they are doing. I also think how this team fairs this coming season will determine if McCarthy continues to have the same amount of say. This is the honeymoon period where he will get pretty much what he wants and he needs for these move to pay off.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  1. They allowed an aging defensive coordinator (that the game has passed by) to overrule scouts' recommendations and draft board. And the head coach backed him on that.
I don’t get it. I didn’t get it when they did it. Let’s just be happy they’re gone

cern

Reaction score
I’m not the delusional one. Last year we added Quinn, Darien Thompson, Covington, Hyder, Iloka, and Cobb. We had Eric Berry in for a visit and everybody was googley-eyed that that deal was coming. And later we added Bennett after the season started.

This year, with more impact starters leaving we signed McCoy to replace Collins, Poe to replace Bennett (at least, his DL roster spot), Dix is this year’s Thompson/Iloka who’s an actual starter replacement for the departed Heath.

You’re overrating the quality of the veteran DLs we brought in because you know their names. When you see the contracts, they’re going to look like the one-year stop gaps they are. They’re good stop gaps, but they’re stop gaps.

When it’s all said and done, you’re going to see that I’m right about the turnover on Teams, too. We’ll have a lot more starters there on the final 53. That’s on top of the Zuerlein signing at K.

Sit tight.
Quinn was a stopgap measure. One we would have loved to keep. Bennett might be another.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yep. I’m trying not to rain on the McCarthy parade too much, because it’s nice that people are excited, but this offseason hasn’t been a departure from what we normally see anyway, except that the body types of the players we’re looking for has changed a bit. We’ve signed value veteran FAs to plug expensive holes in the roster prior to the draft, where we’ll fill with talent.

The biggest change has been in ST, where Jerry was willing to do a long term deal on a good coordinator that he wasn’t willing to do previously with Garrett on a one year deal. He skimped there and at OC, and it hurt us on ST and paid off on offense. But that’s not really on the coaches. That’s on Jerry.
I tell you, not that I'm on any side of anything (as usual), but boy did it seem like Jerry and Stephen were just hanging Jason out to dry last season.
They seemed done and not going to do anything to really help his cause from the kicker to the coaches.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Quinn was a stopgap measure. One we would have loved to keep. Bennett might be another.
Quin was a liability against the run..Once teams figured that out..we got shredded by either being run at or screens to his side. The sacks were nice but I think it hurt us more towards the end of the season. I liked Bennett...Other than jumping offside a couple times...he was a beast and seemed to mesh well with the team

cern

Reaction score
Quin was a liability against the run..Once teams figured that out..we got shredded by either being run at or screens to his side. The sacks were nice but I think it hurt us more towards the end of the season. I liked Bennett...Other than jumping offside a couple times...he was a beast and seemed to mesh well with the team
The bears do not agree with your assessment of quinn. Bennett showed he can still play.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tell you, not that I'm on any side of anything (as usual), but boy did it seem like Jerry and Stephen were just hanging Jason out to dry last season.
They seemed done and not going to do anything to really help his cause from the kicker to the coaches.

Jerry hates paying money to coaches no longer working for him. It’s pretty obvious he wanted to fill two coordinator roles with people willing to work on one year contracts. That pretty much means giving young guys opportunities. Its just part of the job in Dallas.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jerry hates paying money to coaches no longer working for him. It’s pretty obvious he wanted to fill two coordinator roles with people willing to work on one year contracts. That pretty much means giving young guys opportunities. Its just part of the job in Dallas.
I agree, but last season it even extended to the obvious problem players.
I truly felt like the Jones' Boys were telling Garrett, we're not helping you. Succeed, or be gone.

I'm not going to be a donkey on the subject, but it was definitely a feeling I was experiencing while watching the season unfold.

johneric8

Reaction score

Sit tight.

Yes, last year we players, but the overall approach is vastly different. The fact that we went out and got some big heavies for defense is very unlike the cowboys or jason garrett of the past. Remember, these are first wave signings and the whole defensive concept is changing. How could you even entertain the special teams is somehow the biggest difference? The whole teams concept has changed. Look, I didn't mind your post until you ranted the special teams was the only change. I just gave you an example of how that isn't the case. We are signing players in the first wave of free agency! This in itself is a different team concept.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, but last season it even extended to the obvious problem players.
I truly felt like the Jones' Boys were telling Garrett, we're not helping you. Succeed, or be gone.

I'm not going to be a donkey on the subject, but it was definitely a feeling I was experiencing while watching the season unfold.

Last season the juju was just bad. Yes, there was a lame duck coaching vibe. Though the organization did put together a stacked roster. Zeke’s holdout, I think, was unexpected and was a distraction in camp as much as they didn’t want it to be. LVE took a ste back and then took a seat. That hurt. Things just sort of broke bad after week four, and then there wasn’t that energy there when they needed it. It was just a sucky season overall, especially when we had a really good roster from top to bottom.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Sit tight.
Agree 100%.