McCarthy: Jason Peters has already made us better

slick325

Reaction score
Yes, Tyron is a physical freak but there have been times that I wondered about his football IQ.
- He really seemed to have far fewer mental errors back when Frederick was the OC.
- Frederick was the smartest player on the team and the loss of his intelligence on the field was as big as the loss of his physical ability.

The multiple reports of Peters helping Tyler does make you wonder why we didn't hear that about Tyron helping Tyler.

On the flip side regarding football IQ, Micah Parsons has it. Yes, he's a freak athlete, but his football IQ for a rookie was outstanding.

On the low end, La'el was might have been the dumbest player on the team in 2021.
- He continued to make some really dumb mistakes, especially in run blocking.
- Steele showed better football IQ than La'el despite being a 2nd year player.

Agreed 100% regarding Travis Frederick. The mental aspects of his game were equal or superior to his vast physical skills. He has been missed since the day he left.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sad that we need a 40 year old guy from the scout team to make us a better team

Unless he is going to play and block on Sunday night, he hasnt done anything. Wait until Mcgovern, Biadasz and Tyler get a good look at vita Vae and the rest of the gang. Whatever Peters told them wont mean diddly.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For Heaven's sake, just play Peters next to Tyler already. Let him work into game shape on the field.

McGovern is just a speed bump out there.

Exactly, put Smith where he'd been practicing all offseason, and Peters at LT, and let's beat the Bucs.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
SMH in frustration with Philbin and the geniuses who decided to play Tyler at LT (and especially McGovern at LG) with zero reps at TC and with less than 2 weeks before first game of season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It feels like a special year. Just different.

You’re on a roll this week. You must save your best stuff for opening week.

SMH in frustration with Philbin and the geniuses who decided to play Tyler at LT (and especially McGovern at LG) with zero reps at TC and with less than 2 weeks before first game of season.

No doubt. These jokers messed around with the offensive like that last year and caused problems. Can’t treat the offensive line like the front 7. It doesn’t work rotating. Even if they stink, you have to allow them a chance to get cohesion and work together. People forget that our 90s ‘great wall of Dallas’ was freaking horrible at first.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I really expect this to be true. If bringing one of the best to ever play doesn't help in some way, then your team is too good already.

Yeah, because Josh Ball is so good he's probably not what most would consider serviceable.

Could he surprise?

Perhaps, but I'd say probably not since the NFL pass-rush talent pool has gotten so much better while offensive linemen types are scarcer.

That's really the reason we even have Peters. Because while pass rushers are every important, they're not as scarce as top-notch linemen, on the whole.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You’re on a roll this week. You must save your best stuff for opening week.

I think he just shows up for one reason.

No doubt. These jokers messed around with the offensive like that last year and caused problems. Can’t treat the offensive line like the front 7. It doesn’t work rotating. Even if they stink, you have to allow them a chance to get cohesion and work together. People forget that our 90s ‘great wall of Dallas’ was freaking horrible at first.

Good point.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This is the move NFL historians will mark down as the turning point for the new dynasty about to emerge

I’m all in on a deep drive into the playoffs!

It’s almost unfair

Me, too. But the Bills scare me.

Great friggin' team.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Nah, we are going to be terrible.

I feel a top 5 pick in next years draft, no doubt!
I’ll take that bet right now! Even if Dak were lost for the year, we wouldn’t be top 7. :)

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Cannot put a price on IQ and experience, especially if he still has feet and power of Peters.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I would not be surprised if Jerry offers Peters coaching position. :)...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That gives you an idea just how bad an offseason the Cowboys had when a 40 year old player that’s currently on their practice squad has made them better.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
..I would not be surprised if Jerry offers Peters coaching position. :)...

If Peters not on active roster vs Tampa it will be HUGE mistake.

Even if Peters doesn't play a single down, having him available to Tyler in between series is beyond valuable.