Twitter: McCarthy: Joe Looney is taking first-team center snaps

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And they were also among the worst in the league in red zone and short yardage plays too. That's not all on Looney, Connor Williams being in there and not strong enough definitely contributed. But there was a huge power and strength dropoff overall with the combination of Looney and Williams out there. Looney is not a strong player and you're not getting a push from him.
Sorry, bro, I totally disagree. Check out Looney with this monster run block helping pave the way for Zeke getting into the endzone.

Go to the 0:35 second mark of the video...

Post Edit: Added this 2nd video clip...

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looney sucked and was a big reason the o line gave up 56 sacks in 2018. Put the kid in there and lets go. I'm tired of coaches so scared of putting rookies in the fire. Mcgovern is going to take the job at LG
Considering the coaches have yet to see McGovern or Biadasz in pads and practice with full contact I don't think the team had any choice but to start off this way. Hopefully one of them will step up and prove worthy of taking over the position. Of course, McGovern may also be a candidate to play LG.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Considering the coaches have yet to see McGovern or Biadasz in pads and practice with full contact I don't think the team had any choice but to start off this way. Hopefully one of them will step up and prove worthy of taking over the position. Of course, McGovern may also be a candidate to play LG.
Agreed I wish they weren't so scared. I mean we saw this o line with looney at center and williams at lg. It was terrible. Mcgovern is taking first team snaps at LG right now which is fantastic. Just gotta get looney out of there.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looney was trash and our o line was bad in 2018 giving up 56 sacks.
I believe a few too many of those sacks were on Dak for holding onto the ball to long instead of throwing it away. I'm not saying that explains all of it, but I do think that was a real factor.

You also have to remember we had a mess at LG that year, and I think that was a much bigger problem than Looney, who I feel, while not ideal, did about as solid a job as might be expected of a backup. Williams was a rookie who had trouble adjusting to a new position and to the NFL in general, was undersized, and had injuries as well, and Sua-Filo was signed off the street after the season started. I think Redmond may have even played a little at LG.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Looney will do fine and the O Line seems to trust him. We just need to give Tyler Bad-Azz a year to watch and learn.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I believe a few too many of those sacks were on Dak for holding onto the ball to long instead of throwing it away. I'm not saying that explains all of it, but I do think that was a real factor.

You also have to remember we had a mess at LG that year, and I think that was a much bigger problem than Looney, who I feel, while not ideal, did about as solid a job as might be expected of a backup. Williams was a rookie who had trouble adjusting to a new position and to the NFL in general, was undersized, and had injuries as well, and Sua-Filo was signed off the street after the season started. I think Redmond may have even played a little at LG.
This was already disproven dak was only responsible for about 11 of those sacks. Go look it up. Center and guard were weak

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good to post some actual football news for once.

:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

Nothing shocking here. Didn't expect Biadasz to be at center right off the bat. Nice to see that its probably Connor and Conner for the guard spot.

With no preseason games, sadly, I think its going to be difficult for Biadasz to win the job outright.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Good to post some actual football news for once.

:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

as he should be and as i said he would since the announcement Fredrick retired.. he will get first shot at it and let the young guys work their ay in and try and take it from JL..

Kingofholland

Reaction score
This is what I would've done as well.

Looney is an above average lineman and played very well the year Frederick was out.

Yep, I know many fans want to see Tyler or a Conner take that job but Looney is a solid veteran that is more than capable of starting there as we saw in 2018. In my mind he's the only one that deserves that spot until someone proves otherwise.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Looney will do fine and the O Line seems to trust him. We just need to give Tyler Bad-Azz a year to watch and learn.

Don't need "fine" at center, need great at center. Best thing for the Cowboys is for Biadasz to get in there as soon as possible based on being better. Hard to believe that's going to happen this year with no preseason.

aria

Reaction score
Looney sucked and was a big reason the o line gave up 56 sacks in 2018. Put the kid in there and lets go. I'm tired of coaches so scared of putting rookies in the fire. Mcgovern is going to take the job at LG
Actual ma man

Looney gave 1 sack in 2018.
Collins gave up 8
Martin played much less and gave up 3
Connor played the least and gave up 5
Smith gave up 1

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Actual ma man

Looney gave 1 sack in 2018.
Collins gave up 8
Martin played much less and gave up 3
Connor played the least and gave up 5
Smith gave up 1
Not that I'm agreeing with this, but it will be interesting to see Mr. Stats Don't Lie Guy get through this.
You get that stuff from PFF? He pays real money to them, lol.