McCarthy: No change at DC

75boyz

Reaction score
Add the decision to take Lamb (a good player I really like) in the 1st round. They needed a WR with that steamy pile of dung on the other side of the ball? They need players at every level on defense. There had to be someone available that could contribute on D. No, the Cowboys want to play a video game offense with miles of passing yards and record setting points scored. They forgot one minor detail. They still have to play defense.

You will get no argument from me brother.
Like I said you already touched on the poor decisions surrounding who was let go.

But just for most of these other recent to semi recent guys there's Charlton (1st) Hill(2nd) were/are Cowboys busts semi busts.

Gregory, Jaylon and LVE.( 2 2nds and a first) all fall under the injury/character risk category

Awuzie(2nd) and Lewis(3rd) are incomplete but haven't shown more than basic competency or even worse at times

I'm not a DLaw fan(2nd) or if we want to go back a few years Crawford(3rd) who is widely acknowledged as an underachiever based on contract.

Even under different coordinators I still don't see the upward trajectory of development that I commonly see in most offensive draft picks. It's just kind of a general observation.
Defensive selection and development. Piss Poor in my eyes. Maybe better coaching could yield better production. Maybe it's a combination of the guy selected being not so good in the first place or a combination of both lacking talent and coaching.
Appreciate the discussion.

Go Cowboys

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who the coaches are it seems...we have seen this same show under wade,ryan,rod and now nolan.

Well in fairness, when Wade was HC here, he had some pretty decent defenses. 2007 - 9th in DVOA, 2008 - 9th, 2009 - 11th, 2010 - 24th (the entire team cratered that year). Phillips just wasn't a good HC. The other three names all are just JAGs. Marinelli is now a DL coach. Ryan never did much.

We just suck at hiring coaches it seems. I mean our list of HCs since Jimmy have been laughable.

CWR

Reaction score
this is a lost season, we will get a top 10 pick,hopefully we pick a good OT

Man we need defense early and often. We need a difference maker on this defense. I really hope that is the direction we go in.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
See....that is the Million Dollar question.....if we were to lose / tank our way to Lawrence....

I feel you need to:

1) Let Dak go
2) Pay Dalton to play 2-3 years
3) Trade the Lawrence pick for lots of draft capital
4) Cut the dead weight contracts (Jaylon, Tank, Crawford,........)
5) Play all of the young guys
5) Start Over
And everyone will be angry and grousing about everything the whole way.

Sydla

Reaction score
Add the decision to take Lamb (a good player I really like) in the 1st round. They needed a WR with that steamy pile of dung on the other side of the ball? They need players at every level on defense. There had to be someone available that could contribute on D. No, the Cowboys want to play a video game offense with miles of passing yards and record setting points scored. They forgot one minor detail. They still have to play defense.

What defender at 17 would have made more sense than Lamb?

Chaisson? He's struggling in Jax. Kenneth Murray? Maybe but they thought they were OK at LB (which now looks silly given the LVE injury and Smith regressing).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lol. We knew this was coming. MM needs to do his job and make the changes of needed. If nolan can’t straighten this out then he needs to go.

Nolan does need to make changes. He put in Wilson at S. Should be more changes this week. Let's see if he makes them.

Too early for MM to dump the DC. Should be turning the screws on him to right the ship.

Swapping DCs won't magically change everything for the better. Gotta make the most of a bad situation. See if he can make changes and get the arrow pointed up.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
What defender at 17 would have made more sense than Lamb?

Chaisson? He's struggling in Jax. Kenneth Murray? Maybe but they thought they were OK at LB (which now looks silly given the LVE injury and Smith regressing).
An attempt to trade back would have made perfect sense.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
this is a lost season, we will get a top 10 pick,hopefully we pick a good OT
Yeah..

And with our 2nd rd. pick we take a WR.

Yeah.

But that will help the defense..see?

That's how we roster build. It's a Cowboy art.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Give it a few more weeks of the same and I would hope he comes to his senses. At least we have a promotable assistant on the staff in George Edwards.

willia451

Reaction score
Miss me yet?

IrML0QV.jpg

RS12

Reaction score
Does McCarthy think shattering the 81 Colts defensive record would be a positive? That might happen at the 3/4 turn.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I wouldn’t expect MM to admit he made a monstrous mistake bringing Nolan on board this early on with COVID in the background.

He has no choice but to stay the course. He chose this path and now he’s got to see it through.

However, if the defensive collapse continues and we somehow manage to get eliminated from contention in the NFCE, Nolan might not make it through the season. As long as we are in contention I don’t see any way Nolan is fired.

Sydla

Reaction score
An attempt to trade back would have made perfect sense.

To get who? What player in the 20s would have made a difference like Lamb has made on offense?

They took the best player by far on their board. It was the right choice.