McCarthy: No change at DC

kumizi

Reaction score

Jaylon Smith is the quarterback/signal caller on defense. Easy for others probably ain't so easy for him if you've ever heard the guy talk. Seems like a nice guy but not exactly a MENSA candidate.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stay the course eh?
iu

This needs photoshopped. With Jerry’s face as the iceberg.

Redline360

Reaction score
Giants game will probably be the breaking point. I believe the giants have only scored 3 tds so far.

If the giants score at will we need fire nolan on the spot

75boyz

Reaction score
This is a bad decision and speaks volumes on McCarthy as a relationship guy and not a performance based evaluator. It's obvious that Nolan is trying to make the pegs fit the hole and his round orifice is unable to accommodate the triangles and squares of the Cowboys personnel. I do not dig coordinators who work from the box away from the team. That's where scouts and quality control guys belong, out of sight and out of the way.

Letting Malik Collins get away and keeping Woods, Letting Jones leave and signing J. Smith, letting Heath get away and signing a Ha Ha, signing the two FA Lardasses in the middle who can't play, relying on Aldon Smith, an obvious one dimensional player, for 3 downs, etc.; who is responsible for this mess? Nolan had to have input in the personnel decisions leading up to this collapse.

I have never seen a defense play so poorly at all three levels. There is nothing to salvage there. There is no amount of work or coaching that is going to get this fixed. The damage was well under way in the late winter/spring and the weight of the poor personnel decisions coupled with injuries has broken the camel's back.

As much as I can't get on board the Dak wagon, he is not the reason for the issues with this team, not even close. The defense is responsible for the losses to Seattle and Cleveland. Dak and teh offense has done enough to get this team to 3-1, 2-2 at worst.

Don't know how much more of this brand of football I can take. At least in 1989 the Cowboys were a complete rebuild. This team was supposed to be (stupid me) on the fast track to the post season with McCarthy. I couldn't be more disappointed in his lack of leadership, choice at DC and refusal to fix it.

Really well written summary man.

Along with the talent let go and the several other defensive personnel decisions you so accurately described and the impact that it's had, I'll just add my 2 cents:
The defensive situation is concerning to me in that high draft capital has been invested over the years(except safeties and dts above the 3rd rd)but without the development or second contract progress expected of the draft choice in many cases.
Whereas the offensive draft choices mostly seemed to have panned out with regards to most of the o linemen rbs and wrs.
I'm not exactly sure how to pinpoint not only the draft evaluation or development process shortfalls of all the defensive personnel selected. But both the personnel drafted, their development and coaching on the defensive side of the ball are far inferior to their offensive counterparts. No matter if they're a first rd choice even.

Just not sure if maybe McClays defensive scouts are as good as his offensive ones.

As always, just my opinion

Go Cowboys

Last edited:

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
No accountability
The Cowboy was for 25 years and counting

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Really well written summary man. The defensive situation is concerning to me in that high draft capital has been invested over the years(except safeties and dts above the 3rd rd)but without the development or second contract progress expected of the draft selection in many cases.
Whereas the offensive draft choices mostly seemed to have panned out with regards to most of the o linemen rbs and wrs
Not exactly sure how to pinpoint not only the draft evaluation or development process shortfalls of all the defensive personnel selected. But both the personnel drafted, their development and coaching on the defensive side of the ball are far inferior to their offensive counterparts. No matter if they're a first rd choice even.
Add the decision to take Lamb (a good player I really like) in the 1st round. They needed a WR with that steamy pile of dung on the other side of the ball? They need players at every level on defense. There had to be someone available that could contribute on D. No, the Cowboys want to play a video game offense with miles of passing yards and record setting points scored. They forgot one minor detail. They still have to play defense.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
As Geraldine (Flip Wilson), use to say "what you see is what you get". Dannie dimes who has played like he could not start for my high school team will suddenly look like Dannie Marino Sunday.