McCarthy not concerned with lack of free agency moves so far; "We are definitely improving"

fivetwos

Reaction score
One thing we have to be careful of is not forgetting this team has won 12 games each of the past three years. It's not like this is a five win team sitting around not trying to get better.

Granted I agree nobody is buying the crap Jerry tries to sell us every offseason. And yes they have done nothing to improve a team that has imploded in the playoffs on a regular basis. But this is still a playoff team on paper.

And before anybody says so, no, I am not being a homer that buys into everything being said. I am frustrated by the lack of free agency activity too. My only point is, let's remember this team is not a disaster. Reading the comments on this forum makes it sound like we have a Dave Campo roster sometimes.
That’s very fair. It’s just tough to figure out the overall plan.

Nothing seems to add up.

12 wins x 3, yes….but it’s difficult to say that the arrow is headed upward from here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What else is McCarthy going to say? Even he has to be fighting the urge to roll his eyes, saying the team is definitely improving. lol

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
"I got a job after lying about watching tape in a barn and one sleepover. And I got to keep my job for one more year after coaching the worst playoff loss in team history. Thanks Jerry! I got nothing bad to say!"

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Big Mac obviously can't tell the media that this team is screwed next year, but we all know he is thinking it. There isn't a sane person around that thinks this team has improved from last year.

He knows his hands are tied. It'll be interesting to see what things are said after he sails off into the sunset once the Cowboys' chapter of his life is closed.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Uhhh, did AS not follow up by asking how we’ve improved? I think the only answer that MM could give is that the players we lost weren’t good enough and he’s confident their replacements will be. But we all know that’s BS.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jones has likely gone over the standard answers McCarthy should give. Coach knows his days are numbered when Jones is not even in the room trying to run interference with someone like Adam Schefter.
I doubt he's even done that, though. He doesn't have to. Jerry has basically stated he doesn't mind hanging his coaches out to dry.

Mike is saying and doing the only thing he can, making the best of a bad situation.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What else is McCarthy going to say? Even he has to be fighting the urge to roll his eyes, saying the team is definitely improving. lol
Unless the Cowboys make overt moves to improve the roster failure will not be held against him. He’ll find a spot with another team. But after not being proactive improving the roster the next coach will be looking for a degree of control before he agrees to work for Jerry.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Unless the Cowboys make overt moves to improve the roster failure will not be held against him. He’ll find a spot with another team. But after not being proactive improving the roster the next coach will be looking for a degree of control before he agrees to work for Jerry.
It will be held against him because he had 4 seasons to get the Cowboys over the hump with loaded rosters. A lot of fingers will be pointed at him for that playoff debacle in January. His team looked totally unprepared. He’ll find a spot with another team as coordinator. I can’t think of any head coach that’s been fired twice and got a third head coaching opportunity.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
The next coach is Zimmer, and he'll go along with whatever Jerry wants.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
McCarthy's last year coaching NFL football.

He can battle Wade Phillips in a few years for the UFL championship.

Also, Zimmer being named as his replacement would just be more of the same. Stop falling for it.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I sorta like Big Mike but he's here for the ride and the ride only. He knows goof ball Jones is an idiot so He'll just do his best with no help from idiot Jones. 5 million a year either way....

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
McCarthy's last year coaching NFL football.

He can battle Wade Phillips in a few years for the UFL championship.

Also, Zimmer being named as his replacement would just be more of the same. Stop falling for it.
Zimmer will be more of the same, which is how we know he will be the next HC.

TheCritic

Reaction score
How are you improving your roster with players that were already on your roster?
Uh, young players do improve just by gaining more experience, coaching, off-season training. Us fans tend to overlook this part of the game. We view players as stats, numbers, property of the team owner. Don't get too bent out of shape over MM being overly optimistic about his coaching powers.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Uh, young players do improve just by gaining more experience, coaching, off-season training. Us fans tend to overlook this part of the game. We view players as stats, numbers, property of the team owner. Don't get bent too out of shape over MM being overly optimistic about his coaching powers.
That is a given for every team. How does that close the gap?