News: McCarthy on Aldon Smith Hitting the Wall

Twin928

Reaction score
If they are acknowledging he’s hit some sort of wall why won’t they reduce his snaps a bit and get Anae in there?
Becuz that will be the smart thing to do n us fans been saying put anae in for weeks they will wait until final week or two n he going tally 4 sacks n all next offseason we’re going to hear about the young guys and season start nothing same bs lol

cern

Reaction score
Being surrounded by losers tends to have a detrimental affect on others. Aldon wasn't used to being in the company of losers.

blumayne38

Reaction score
I just don’t feel like McCarthy can call out anyone. Unless it’s himself at this point.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Seems by those comments it's more of a mental thing than just a physical thing.
Of course it is.

But the entire defense is also worn out under the changes.

Not one defensive player will be Pro Bowl.

Not one.

Think about that.

Not Lawrence nor Lee nor Jaylon Smith nor Wolf Hunter nor Diggs nor anybody else.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, here's the thing. This scheme is not a 43, per say. Lawrence isn't a 34 DE or OLB. Lawrence is a 43 DE so in terms of who best suits the scheme, who fits and is capable of making plays in that scheme, it's Smith, and that's probably why he is seeing such a high percentage of snaps.

I mean, it is what it is. We all knew that this was likely, even had a thread on this awhile back. We weren't going anywhere this year anyway so I don't guess it really matters. The bigger concern, IMO, is how Lawrence and his huge contract fit in going forward. That's going to be a key thing IMO.
So, Nolan, his failed scheme and his warped ideology to play Aldon Smith more is more important to this team even though the results are proving it simply is not working?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They got more out of him than many expected. Players in his age range generally don't improve year over year.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Well i guess that explains Aldon's problem, been out of football for five years and coming back with no proper training camp....what about the rest of the defense... guess they all hit the same freaking wall, or did they attend the Xavier Woods School on Defense. ?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Has Aldon Smith hit a wall?
Coach thinks it’s more what he is going through physically, injuries and the he hasn’t played football in a long time before this year, plus the unusual offseason leading up to it. He said Smith has been battling through it and has a good outlook on it.

From BTB: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ont-practice-ezekiel-elliott-medical-decision

he’s UFA.

he is not going to risk an injury on a jacked up team.

4 more games and he is out

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Is it? Hmm. I would have thought Gregory's snap counts would have gone up as he got in football shape.
He played over 80% of the snaps last week.
He's actually 3rd on defense in snaps for the year and gets less rest than DLaw.
Part of the issue is other guys can't hold up versus the run.
Nolan has turned him into Tyrone Crawford where we gave up all his pass rush for a guy to help but not dominate versus the run.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Everything was different, training, coaching, scheme, his physique etc...
But ok. He just decided to not be as productive.

He's literally playing for his 49ers dline coach in a role that is identical to what he played in SF.

His defensive coordinator in SF installed a version of Nolan's system. Before SF his coordinator- Vic Fangio - worked under Rex Ryan in Baltimore on a staff full of Nolan acolytes, most prominently, Nolan's right hand assistant, Rex Ryan (who also uses a similar system). There have been Nolan's fingerprints on all the defenses Smith played in.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
IMHO, Aldon Smith is the least of our problems. With Tank, Smith, Gregory, Armstrong and Anae, were ok at DE. Our concerns are DT, DB, and LB. Get two monsters to clog the middle—Gallimore, Monster, Hill, Monster would make a good rotation. Draft Micah Parsons and someone else at LB, 2 CB, and 2 S. Then a couple of FAs.

Said the wannabe online GM from his fantasyworld clubhouse...

I don't think we are OK at DE. I mean, Smith may or may not be a guy for us, we don't know yet. For all we know, he might be good for half a season for the however long he still has. Tank doesn't really fit the 34 and he really only plays when he wants to. Gregory is one misstep away from being out of the league again. Armstrong, I really liked out of Kansas, but it's been three seasons now and he really hasn't show a lot. Anae, he's basically a rook and maybe he turns into something but there is no guarantee of that and as of now, I haven't seen anything that suggest to me that he will be.

I think we need DLs all along the line.

ESisback

Reaction score
I don't think we are OK at DE. I mean, Smith may or may not be a guy for us, we don't know yet. For all we know, he might be good for half a season for the however long he still has. Tank doesn't really fit the 34 and he really only plays when he wants to. Gregory is one misstep away from being out of the league again. Armstrong, I really liked out of Kansas, but it's been three seasons now and he really hasn't show a lot. Anae, he's basically a rook and maybe he turns into something but there is no guarantee of that and as of now, I haven't seen anything that suggest to me that he will be.

I think we need DLs all along the line.

While it’s always nice to improve wherever you can, my point remains. Our most URGENT needs are DT, LB, and DB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
While it’s always nice to improve wherever you can, my point remains. Our most URGENT needs are DT, LB, and DB.

Not if we are going to a 34. Then you need to rework a lot more of the roster and find a DB or two.

CWR

Reaction score
Apparently, Anae does not give the Boys the best chance to win on a last place defense, according to the experts.

Well if everything sucks, I guess you just keep it exactly the same? Lol

To be honest we did make some adjustments, I give the coaches credit for that, but this is puzzling.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Well if everything sucks, I guess you just keep it exactly the same? Lol

To be honest we did make some adjustments, I give the coaches credit for that, but this is puzzling.
The way I see it, it’s a wasted 5th round pick. Oh, wait he needs more practice. No that’s not it, who is he going to replace? Well, let’s see. Aldon has been ineffective for about 7 weeks. Heck, last I saw, defense gave up and number 31st in defense.

ESisback

Reaction score
Not if we are going to a 34. Then you need to rework a lot more of the roster and find a DB or two.

Nolan runs a hybrid, but who knows if he or someone else will decide to lean more 4-3? Or maybe he’ll be demoted or fired, but clogging the middle and improving the run defense starts with DT. That’s my opinion.