News: McCarthy on Aldon Smith Hitting the Wall

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nolan runs a hybrid, but who knows if he or someone else will decide to lean more 4-3? Or maybe he’ll be demoted or fired, but clogging the middle and improving the run defense starts with DT. That’s my opinion.

Well, Tom Landry thought so. Unfortunately, our team hasn't believed that for a long time.

ESisback

Reaction score
Well, Tom Landry thought so. Unfortunately, our team hasn't believed that for a long time.
Tom Landry thought what? That we need to add DEs more than DTs or LBs or DBs? How do you know that? Have you been in contact?

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tom Landry thought what? That we need to add DEs more than DTs or LBs or DBs? How do you know that? Have you been in contact?

Coach Landry believed that you build a Defense from the DT out. He believed that everything revolved around the ability of the DT to control the center of the field. DTs were very key in his scheme. That's what he believe.

I know this because I watched him Coach. I lived to see those teams and how they were built. I read books on him and his coaching philosophy but no, I am not clairvoyant so no, I have not been communing with the spirit of Tom Landry.

ESisback

Reaction score
Coach Landry believed that you build a Defense from the DT out. He believed that everything revolved around the ability of the DT to control the center of the field. DTs were very key in his scheme. That's what he believe.

I know this because I watched him Coach. I lived to see those teams and how they were built. I read books on him and his coaching philosophy but no, I am not clairvoyant so no, I have not been communing with the spirit of Tom Landry.

So what’s your point? You WERE arguing for our current need for DEs, while I was saying DTs are more of a need for us.

ESisback

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a lot of BS. Go back and read the thread.
I did. The original thread was about Aldon Smith hitting a wall. Someone said it was because he played with losers, and I commented how we’re ok at DE and needed DTs, LBs, and DBs. That’s when you mentioned needing DEs. Then the debate began. No big deal, man!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I did. The original thread was about Aldon Smith hitting a wall. Someone said it was because he played with losers, and I commented how we’re ok at DE and needed DTs, LBs, and DBs. That’s when you mentioned needing DEs. Then the debate began. No big deal, man!

Clearly you did not.

This is exactly what was said:

IMHO, Aldon Smith is the least of our problems. With Tank, Smith, Gregory, Armstrong and Anae, were ok at DE. Our concerns are DT, DB, and LB. Get two monsters to clog the middle—Gallimore, Monster, Hill, Monster would make a good rotation. Draft Micah Parsons and someone else at LB, 2 CB, and 2 S. Then a couple of FAs.

Said the wannabe online GM from his fantasyworld clubhouse...

I post that I do not agree that we are OK at DE and I explain exactly why in post #35. In that post I clearly say:

I think we need DLs all along the line.

So explain to me, exactly where, in any of my posts in this thread, did I say anything close to something that suggests we don't need DTs or that we shouldn't draft or sign them? Show me anything even kinda like that. And for the record, you didn't say our need was greater at DT then DE. You specifically said we are fine at DE.

Your words:

"were ok at DE."

So no, you either didn't read any of this or you just don't want to admit you are wrong. Either way, you are wrong, move on.

ESisback

Reaction score
Clearly you did not.

This is exactly what was said:

I post that I do not agree that we are OK at DE and I explain exactly why in post #35. In that post I clearly say:

So explain to me, exactly where, in any of my posts in this thread, did I say anything close to something that suggests we don't need DTs or that we shouldn't draft or sign them? Show me anything even kinda like that. And for the record, you didn't say our need was greater at DT then DE. You specifically said we are fine at DE.

Your words:

"were ok at DE."

So no, you either didn't read any of this or you just don't want to admit you are wrong. Either way, you are wrong, move on.

We’re ok at DE compared to our more urgent need at DT, LB, and DB.

While I DID say it’s always good to improve wherever you can, my original implication was that our most urgent need was solidifying the middle and improving our run defense, which means DT and LB.

So no, I’m NOT wrong, I won’t say I am to make you happy, and I won’t “move on” just because you’re getting frustrated.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We’re ok at DE compared to our more urgent need at DT, LB, and DB.

While I DID say it’s always good to improve wherever you can, my original implication was that our most urgent need was solidifying the middle and improving our run defense, which means DT and LB.

So no, I’m NOT wrong, I won’t say I am to make you happy, and I won’t “move on” just because you’re getting frustrated.

And I'm of the opinion we are not. If that's what you meant to say, then you should have said that. At the very least, when it became an issue, you should have clarified instead of turning into a jackwagon. Personally, I don't care what you say or don't, you can grow up or you can do this. Either way, doesn't matter to me.

Maybe just ignore me.

conner01

Reaction score
If they are acknowledging he’s hit some sort of wall why won’t they reduce his snaps a bit and get Anae in there?
He has played way too many snaps
He should play more than half the snaps
If we bring him back and expect him to play 70% of snaps he won’t be as effective

ESisback

Reaction score
And I'm of the opinion we are not. If that's what you meant to say, then you should have said that. At the very least, when it became an issue, you should have clarified instead of turning into a jackwagon. Personally, I don't care what you say or don't, you can grow up or you can do this. Either way, doesn't matter to me.

Maybe just ignore me.

Voicing your opinion, and then standing up for it makes me a “jack wagon” if it contradicts your opinion...is that what your implying? Imagine...an opposing opinion on a public fan forum known for debate! That’s cutting edge! So if I disagree I should just shut up and ignore, right?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Voicing your opinion, and then standing up for it makes me a “jack wagon” if it contradicts your opinion...is that what your implying? Imagine...an opposing opinion on a public fan forum known for debate! That’s cutting edge! So if I disagree I should just shut up and ignore, right?

No, not admitting what you said and the comments around what I said and then the comments around Tom Landry make you a jackwagon. You didn't have to do any of that. That whole Landry post was an attempt to try and give you your due, in terms of the importance of the DT in a 43.

I'm not wrong so either way, I don't really care. I tried to be cool with you. If that's not how you want to post, cool.

ESisback

Reaction score
No, not admitting what you said and the comments around what I said and then the comments around Tom Landry make you a jackwagon. You didn't have to do any of that. That whole Landry post was an attempt to try and give you your due, in terms of the importance of the DT in a 43.

I'm not wrong so either way, I don't really care. I tried to be cool with you. If that's not how you want to post, cool.

You seem to be misreading what I said, but that’s common on the internet. My original contention remains. I’ll take improvement at any position I can get, but IMHO, our biggest priority should be strengthening the middle and improving our run defense, which starts with DT and LB, am I right? Would your first pick be a DE or a DT?

blueblood70

Reaction score
You seem to be misreading what I said, but that’s common on the internet. My original contention remains. I’ll take improvement at any position I can get, but IMHO, our biggest priority should be strengthening the middle and improving our run defense, which starts with DT and LB, am I right? Would your first pick be a DE or a DT?
not if its reach iu say no to DE we can cover that and DT looks best for 2nd round

so LB is best of your choices..lots will change after the combine, scouts, work out visits etc

too soon right now

backup plan is take parsons or Surtain unless another rises to the top before the draft,,sucks really that there no Bosa or Donald type in this draft we could use one :)

is surtain as good as ramseys? how about Wade?

ESisback

Reaction score
not if its reach iu say no to DE we can cover that and DT looks best for 2nd round

so LB is best of your choices..lots will change after the combine, scouts, work out visits etc

too soon right now

backup plan is take parsons or Surtain unless another rises to the top before the draft,,sucks really that there no Bosa or Donald type in this draft we could use one :)

is surtain as good as ramseys? how about Wade?

You’re right about too soon! I think if they play it smart between FA and the draft, they can improve the defense enough to make a difference.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't think so but it's your story, you tell it.

I would take the best player available. If it were a QB I believed in, I'd take him. It it were a DE or a DT or a LT or a Safety or a LB, the list goes on.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
I personally think Nolan has decided if he's going down he's going down with his guys he knows. There is simply no way he could've expected Aldon to play the amount of snaps he has and not be worn down both mentally and physically. How Anae, and Gregory are not in there more is truly astonishing to me.

ESisback

Reaction score
I don't think so but it's your story, you tell it.

I would take the best player available. If it were a QB I believed in, I'd take him. It it were a DE or a DT or a LT or a Safety or a LB, the list goes on.

BPA! Yes, I agree. So anyways, what do you feel is the Cowboys’ most urgent need?