McCarthy on Lance: He's close to being a master of the system

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they have a plan and we’re seeing it in the media.

The Lance PR campaign has clearly taken off at the star.
Or perhaps the Mad Genius master plan is using the media to pressure Prescott and his agent into compromising more than they want in any future contract negotiations. It would not be the first time for him or any other front office for that matter.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think they have a plan and we’re seeing it in the media.

The Lance PR campaign has clearly taken off at the star.
We will see if they have a plan or not. My biggest fear is that we will see Dak's new contract during TC. It will be very sad day knowing we are never competing for a championship again, well for whatever the duration of his contract is anyway.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Or perhaps the Mad Genius master plan is using the media to pressure Prescott and his agent into compromising more than they want in any future contract negotiations. It would not be the first time for him or any other front office for that matter.
Is that your hopium talking?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"Old news" as in 'No later than Week 1 2025', correct? My friend, I have witnessed Jerry Jones be far more quick-and-decisive in making multiple quarterback transitions in his past.
Like I said in my earlier post in this thread, if we come out 2-5, which is absolutely a possibility based on that stretch of games...Jerry is going to need something to keep the fans and media in it.

Want to see social media and the talk shows go completely nuclear and have your team the only thing anyone everywhere is talking about? Bench the previous seasons runner up MVP for a guy everyone wants to label a bust. Has that ever happened? Ever? Wildcat mode...engaged.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’ve never witnessed Jerry trade what he values most (draft picks) for a player that he never intended to take a snap for him.
Who said never? Have you read me type never?

Allow me to refresh your narrow memory. I have stated Jerry Jones, a.k.a. The Mad Genius, acquired Trey Lance as Dak Prescott's eventual successor. Additionally, I stated Jones did so without intentionally not asking input from his own front office, because he has always believed he is an excellent judge in player talent.

Your turn.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You’ve never witnessed Jerry trade what he values most (draft picks) for a player that he never intended to take a snap for him.
You really underestimate the stupidity of this FO.

On one hand you think they are capable of thinking ahead, yet on the other this is the same FO that signed Dak in the first place.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Who said never? Have you read me type never?

Allow me to refresh your narrow memory. I have stated Jerry Jones, a.k.a. The Mad Genius, acquired Trey Lance as Dak Prescott's eventual successor. Additionally, I stated Jones did so without intentionally not asking input from his own front office, because he has always believed he is an excellent judge in player talent.

Your turn.
When, in your mind, was/is Trey Lance supposed to be the eventual successor then?

Because it seems to me you don’t think 2025 will be that year judging by your reaction to me saying it.

So when then?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You really underestimate the stupidity of this FO.

On one hand you think they are capable of thinking ahead, yet on the other this is the same FO that signed Dak in the first place.
The PR campaign is in full motion right now.

Daks not being talked about at all really and Lance is looking better and better everyday.

Choo Choo!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said in my earlier post in this thread, if we come out 2-5, which is absolutely a possibility based on that stretch of games...Jerry is going to need something to keep the fans and media in it.

Want to see social media and the talk shows go completely nuclear and have your team the only thing anyone everywhere is talking about? Bench the previous seasons runner up MVP for a guy everyone wants to label a bust. Has that ever happened? Ever? Wildcat mode...engaged.
In my opinion, I highly doubt win/loss record alone will dictate the quarterback transition. However, a similar win/loss record, combined with the roster mutiny under Mike McCarthy, would possibly do the trick. It would be similar to what occurred with Wade Phillips--albeit with a head coach change instead of at quarterback.

Jerry Jones is most assuredly a gambler but he handles the media in a way where he does not anticipate large scale negative blowback after-the-fact. The variable, for me considering Jones, would be the prospect of losing more games in clumps. I think he would stay his hand IF that circumstance was not projected to happen. If so, I agree with your hypothetical in principle.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_p2q2buYzfZ1sgopg3_540.gif

:laugh:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
In other words; "he won't play a down in a real NFL game, but he stays awake in meetings, gets some wins vs. the scout team and looks good holding a clipboard."

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When, in your mind, was/is Trey Lance supposed to be the eventual successor then?

Because it seems to me you don’t think 2025 will be that year judging by your reaction to me saying it.

So when then?
Obviously, you do not read any of my posts or threads concerning Jerry Jones. That's cool. They are boring. :( Glad you asked though! :)

I don't <expletive> 'when' will be when. As I have said many times over many years, I go by what I think that Arkansan idiot may do based on his past history. Allow me to help you in what I think are Jones decision-making possibilities...

Possibility #1: Prescott plays like Prescott can play but gets injured between now and the end of the team's 2024 season. Lance will be made the permanent franchise quarterback IF he performances even adequately well during the opportunities afforded to him after Prescott is sidelined. I will label this option The 2016 Prescott Gambit.​
Possibility #2: Prescott struggles moreso than normal, gets injured sometime during the 2024 season, and Lance plays lights out after replacing him. I will name this option The 2006 Romo Gambit.
Possibility #3: Prescott sits out the start of the 2024 regular season for a new contract. Lance starts and Prescott hopes to hell he does not perform anywhere as well as he did eight years ago. This one is the He Made My Decision For Me option.​
Possibility #4: Lance stuns the coaches during training camp and preseason, playing at a young Troy Aikman level. Lance starts Week 1. It does not exactly fit but I will call this The 2001 Quincy Carter Gambit.
I typed the above to cool your hot-for-QB-change blood for a moment. I am not through though.

Possibility #5: Prescott plays at his usual level and manages to help lead the team to an NFC Divisional Round win. WHETHER THE TEAM ADVANCES BEYOND THAT POINT IS IRRELEVANT IN MY OPINION. I think Mad Genius re-signs Prescott to a multi-year contract in that circumstance. Quick. And he will attempt to keep Lance on the roster afterwards.​
I know. I know. Wait a second. Breathe in. Breathe out. One more of what I think Jones thinks.

Possibility #6: The team does not reach the postseason or the team does not reach the NFC Divisional round. Prescott is toast in his book. Jones will not even sniff at quarterback neither Day 1 nor Day 2 of the April 2025 NFL Draft because he acquired a former first round quarterback selection that HE judges is a likely starting quarterback NO MATTER HOW WELL Lance has progressed between today and that time.​
Now.

Get ready.

Get set.

Go.