McCarthy on Lance: He's close to being a master of the system

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
It will be interesting spotting The Master standing on the sideline this season--kinda like getting glimpses of the Mad Genius whenever network cameras settle upon him during games. Riveting professional football television at its finest.
You sound scared.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Unless he gets an injury, Dak will be the starter this year ........ no matter what.

Unless he starts playing like every team is the 49'rs

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Let’s hope. I will doubt until he puts it on tape, because I don’t like his NFL tape so far.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think the front office has a plan. I don’t know what they will do. They’re playing it by ear
The playing by ear is seeing if the progress they see Lance making will translate to game time.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I really do think this is true if he Looks good enough.

It’s actually a smart move.

Let Lance play next year. If he plays really well. Great.

If he sucks. The teams record slips and they get a high enough pick to go after a QB in the first.
There is no downside at all to it.

You see what you have and if he sucks then you get a high draft pick.

Win/Win

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Obviously, you do not read any of my posts or threads concerning Jerry Jones. That's cool. They are boring. :( Glad you asked though! :)

I don't <expletive> 'when' will be when. As I have said many times over many years, I go by what I think that Arkansan idiot may do based on his past history. Allow me to help you in what I think are Jones decision-making possibilities...

Possibility #1: Prescott plays like Prescott can play but gets injured between now and the end of the team's 2024 season. Lance will be made the permanent franchise quarterback IF he performances even adequately well during the opportunities afforded to him after Prescott is sidelined. I will label this option The 2016 Prescott Gambit.​
Possibility #2: Prescott struggles moreso than normal, gets injured sometime during the 2024 season, and Lance plays lights out after replacing him. I will name this option The 2006 Romo Gambit.
Possibility #3: Prescott sits out the start of the 2024 regular season for a new contract. Lance starts and Prescott hopes to hell he does not perform anywhere as well as he did eight years ago. This one is the He Made My Decision For Me option.​
Possibility #4: Lance stuns the coaches during training camp and preseason, playing at a young Troy Aikman level. Lance starts Week 1. It does not exactly fit but I will call this The 2001 Quincy Carter Gambit.
I typed the above to cool your hot-for-QB-change blood for a moment. I am not through though.

Possibility #5: Prescott plays at his usual level and manages to help lead the team to an NFC Divisional Round win. WHETHER THE TEAM ADVANCES BEYOND THAT POINT IS IRRELEVANT IN MY OPINION. I think Mad Genius re-signs Prescott to a multi-year contract in that circumstance. Quick. And he will attempt to keep Lance on the roster afterwards.​
I know. I know. Wait a second. Breathe in. Breathe out. One more of what I think Jones thinks.

Possibility #6: The team does not reach the postseason or the team does not reach the NFC Divisional round. Prescott is toast in his book. Jones will not even sniff at quarterback neither Day 1 nor Day 2 of the April 2025 NFL Draft because he acquired a former first round quarterback selection that HE judges is a likely starting quarterback NO MATTER HOW WELL Lance has progressed between today and that time.​
Now.

Get ready.

Get set.

Go.
Lance and Dak are both FA's after the season.

IF you believe Lance was truly brought in to be the successor then it has to be no later than 2025.

There is no scenario where Lance and Dak are both on this roster next season. Lance would be a fool to stick around if not named started for 2025.

So, I don't see how, if you truly believe Lance was brought in to be the successor as you said, that you can't agree with me that Lance is getting his chance no later than 2025 Week 1.

Your "noted" comment from my prediction makes it seem to me that you don't agree with my assumption, but I don't really see how you can't if you believe Lance is the successor.