Twitter: McCarthy on letting the clock run down to :03

Tommy

Reaction score
If you use the timeout at 8 seconds you take the shot in the endzone.
If they take the timeout with 8 seconds they don’t have any left. If they get a holding penalty on that shot at the end zone the half ends due to the automatic 10 second clock run-off.

The way the refs were throwing the flags it makes sense that McCarthy didn’t want to chance it.

Considering we won by 3 points makes it look like the right call.

Tommy

Reaction score
Yea, was 8 seconds and two timeouts. Just saying if they took a shot, time might have ran out if all didn’t go as planned.
They didn’t have 2 timeouts left.

In the 2nd quarter the Cowboys took a timeout at 11;35 on the clock, 7:26, and the last one at :03.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They didn’t have 2 timeouts left.

In the 2nd quarter the Cowboys took a timeout at 11;35 on the clock, 7:26, and the last one at :03.
Regardless, a timeout could have been taken at 8 seconds. Enough time for a shot to the endzone but risky.

Tommy

Reaction score
Regardless, a timeout could have been taken at 8 seconds. Enough time for a shot to the endzone but risky.
Again, when you take a penalty to end a half and you have no timeouts there is an automatic 10 second run-off. That penalty would have ended the half even with an incomplete pass. They would have gone to the locker room with nothing.

‘’The way the refs were slinging flags around its clear why McCarthy didn’t want to chance it.

Taking the 3 points got them the win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea, was 8 seconds and two timeouts. Just saying if they took a shot, time might have ran out if all didn’t go as planned.
I mean that's high school level. You know you have 8 seconds......your clock in your head should say you got 2 or 3 seconds to find someone then throw it away.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Read post #142 and 144
I'm replying to something completely different. I understand WHY McCarthy did what he did. And I agreed with it. I'm just saying he didn't call that play because he was scared DAk was gonna take a sack or didn't "trust him". He verbatim said the penalties made him kick the field goal.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again, when you take a penalty to end a half and you have no timeouts there is an automatic 10 second run-off. That penalty would have ended the half even with an incomplete pass. They would have gone to the locker room with nothing.

‘’The way the refs were slinging flags around its clear why McCarthy didn’t want to chance it.

I don’t know why you are arguing with me, I agreed last night it was the correct call to kick the FG :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Or if they'd taken another sack, etc. There were plenty of things that could have gone wrong.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Ever game I understand AaronRodgers more and more no matter how much I dislike him.

I’m becoming even more botherwd than ever that we lost to McCarthy in the post season let alone twice.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As ridiculous as that clock management was.. they did have 20 $&@ing penalties, so his BS excuse has a little validity. Not much, but a little.