Twitter: McCarthy on Prescott

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Ah, so nothing but words then. Noted.

He's a leader cause people said stuff.

Hey does this mean if we say he's a real franchise QB he'll become that too?

I know you can't stand him, but testimony is often the only way we really know about intangibles. We can see it in some behavior, such as how his teammates reacted when he was hurt last year, but mostly you have to take people's word for it.

When fans don't like players, they tend to believe the worst about them. Some here thought Romo was a bad leader despite teammates and coaches coming to his defense. I don't think based on everything I've read about Romo that he was as natural a leader as Prescott appears to be. It appears he had to work at it.

The tangibles are much easier for us to judge, so we have to rely on the evidence that we have for the intangibles. You don't want to believe that evidence, that's your prerogative.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you can't stand him, but testimony is often the only way we really know about intangibles. We can see it in some behavior, such as how his teammates reacted when he was hurt last year, but mostly you have to take people's word for it.

When fans don't like players, they tend to believe the worst about them. Some here thought Romo was a bad leader despite teammates and coaches coming to his defense. I don't think based on everything I've read about Romo that he was as natural a leader as Prescott appears to be. It appears he had to work at it.

The tangibles are much easier for us to judge, so
c

we have to rely on the evidence that we have for the intangibles. You don't want to believe that evidence, that's your prerogative.

I tend to look at results. Emmitt Smith wasn't a great player because the team said he was. He showed it on the field.

Words aren't evidence. People can say anything.

Dak Prescott is a great leader who has never led a team to anything of any significance.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I tend to look at results. Emmitt Smith wasn't a great player because the team said he was. He showed it on the field.

Dak Prescott is a great leader who has never led a team to anything of any significance.

I do agree that Dak has to achieve success in the post season, particularly levelling up on passing decision making. But we seem to forget that players of significance also have a great supporting cast around them. Emmitt had a great offensive line to open running lanes and also Daryl Johnston was an exceptional fullback lead blocking for him. Aikman also benefitted from a talented offensive line and great receivers and from Emmitt Smith being such an exceptionally productive running back. Dak's career is at the half way mark and it isn't over, so I expect him to keep progressing.

Dak asked McCarthy what else he can do for him and that shows me that he values input from his head coach and tries not to take anything for granted. It was a casual inquiry not a grasp at desperation. Words are not evidence but they can be motivating and de-motivating. They can also be threatening, belittling and supportive. (In the forum they can be agitating, lol) Playing professional football is not only physically demanding but also mentally, emotionally challenging.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you don’t recognize the brilliance of a quarterback asking his head coach what do you need for me. It just makes me wonder if you have any idea at all about the mental aspect of this game

Section446

Reaction score
The only good thing anyone can ever say about Dak is "leadership", that doesn't win titles.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What evidence proves he's a leader? Tell me this clear evidence.
his teammates, coaches, owner, GM, and generally all around him who talk about him and his leadership skills with a few saying, he is clearly the leader in the locker room

now you. what evidence you have that he is not?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ah, so nothing but words then. Noted.

He's a leader cause people said stuff.

Hey does this mean if we say he's a real franchise QB he'll become that too?
wwwhhhaaaatt? you just moved the goal post. you asked for evidence. you got it. from his teammates. coaches. GM. owner, etc...and you get there by your actions. who you are and what you do...he is a leader, because people follow him and believe in him.

but words and actions of everyone in the organization is not good enough for you...I guess you want physical proof!!??

that's moronic

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak still has to ask that question?
I didn't think of it that way.....but you make a good point.

Dak...as claimed and defacto leader, should be saying "what I need from you is...."

Just my humble opinion from my workplace experience not NFL QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

and Dak has shown it on the field. he is top 10 in almost every statistical category...not good enough for you?

and you just described about 100 other QBs, some very notable ones in the past 20 years....since there has only been 12 QBs that won superbowls..

you are very confused...you are mixing up results with leadership. by your ignorant assumption, then a team that doesn't win much doesn't have any leaders, because leaders lead teams to wins and the two are totally different things..

you are very confused. your line of argument is dumb. sorry. not calling you dumb but your line of argument makes zero sense...in fact it makes negative sense

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wwwhhhaaaatt? you just moved the goal post. you asked for evidence. you got it. from his teammates. coaches. GM. owner, etc...and you get there by your actions. who you are and what you do...he is a leader, because people follow him and believe in him.

but words and actions of everyone in the organization is not good enough for you...I guess you want physical proof!!??

that's moronic
I think it's already been said...but what do you expect them to say?

People like Bennett never said anything bad about Romo....until they were gone.

I think some of our star players cavorting around sports arenas, against Dak's wishes, might be more telling than an interview.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I didn't think of it that way.....but you make a good point.

Dak...as claimed and defacto leader, should be saying "what I need from you is...."

Just my humble opinion from my workplace experience not NFL QB.
I disagree. a good leader asks and is not afraid to be vunerable. that's what makes them a good leader. a good leader has a trust relationship with his coworkers. they may ask that question, but they also have to ask the opposite. what do you need from me. otherwise they are just managers. managers are not necessarily leaders. far from it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is this one of those joke threads or are you all seriously analyzing this generic PR comment?
well you know the dak detractors....if dak as much as F@rrts they will analyze how his f@rrt wasn't smelling the right way and it didn't come out with the right velocity and right direction and didn't have the right wetness. anything to cling to.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I do agree that Dak has to achieve success in the post season, particularly levelling up on passing decision making. But we seem to forget that players of significance also have a great supporting cast around them. Emmitt had a great offensive line to open running lanes and also Daryl Johnston was an exceptional fullback lead blocking for him. Aikman also benefitted from a talented offensive line and great receivers and from Emmitt Smith being such an exceptionally productive running back. Dak's career is at the half way mark and it isn't over, so I expect him to keep progressing.

Dak asked McCarthy what else he can do for him and that shows me that he values input from his head coach and tries not to take anything for granted. It was a casual inquiry not a grasp at desperation. Words are not evidence but they can be motivating and de-motivating. They can also be threatening, belittling and supportive. (In the forum they can be agitating, lol) Playing professional football is not only physically demanding but also mentally, emotionally challenging.
finally. somebody with a little bit of sense. thank you

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and Dak has shown it on the field. he is top 10 in almost every statistical category...not good enough for you?

and you just described about 100 other QBs, some very notable ones in the past 20 years....since there has only been 12 QBs that won superbowls..

you are very confused...you are mixing up results with leadership. by your ignorant assumption, then a team that doesn't win much doesn't have any leaders, because leaders lead teams to wins and the two are totally different things..

you are very confused. your line of argument is dumb. sorry. not calling you dumb but your line of argument makes zero sense...in fact it makes negative sense

I think Risen makes good sense you just aren't listening.
Emmitt didn't just lead in stats. His efforts and heart lead the team to victories and super bowls.

How could you NOT be inspired by his game against the Eagles....240 yards on a blasted shoulder? (I think that was the game...but you get my point anyway).

A leader LEADS...to SOMEWHERE. All Dak has to do is win. And he's got it. What does he do...to LEAD? Just have stats? Hmmm...he may have to battle and take risks and show this team how to truly FIGHT.

Not just butt slaps and new shoes.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. a good leader asks and is not afraid to be vunerable. that's what makes them a good leader. a good leader has a trust relationship with his coworkers. they may ask that question, but they also have to ask the opposite. what do you need from me. otherwise they are just managers. managers are not necessarily leaders. far from it.
Well I disagree.
Now...if Dak asks Zeke or Tony or Amari or Biadasz..."what do you need from me".....that's what a leader does! The leader should already know what the boss expects.

If Mike hasn;t made that clear by NOW...then shame on him.

I think it's okay to disagree on this, ya know? It doesn't mean we hate Dak or that we don't want him to succeed. Dak does not HAVE to be this great gigantic Zeus "leader". As mike told him....just do what you do

"don't try to do too much"

...it's fine.

khiladi

Reaction score

Dak Prescott is just boys with his teammates. It’s like the whole “Hot Boyz” thing and how LVE reacted when Jaylon Smith got traded, even though Jaylon was horrible. That’s not being a leader.

It’s when things start going bad and other folk are being blamed, when you see who a real leader is. Then you start seeing your WRs saying they are wide open and it’s not their fault. Emotion and being ‘homies’ doesn’t work when you start losing and the money and value of your potential contract becomes an issue.

The issue of Romo and Dak had zero to do with who was actually a better leader. That was basically a young roster that hadn’t even played much with Romo, if at all.

We all went to HS and college and we all know how this dynamic actually works.

Last edited: